When is the best time for a river cruise in Europe?
Plan your European river cruise to avoid low and high water levels, excessive crowds and freezing temperatures.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Choosing the best time for a river cruise in Europe can be tricky. You don’t want to find your tour disrupted by low and high water levels, broken locks and frozen rivers after you have booked your tickets.
Although the weather can ruin your plans at any time of the year, some months are more appealing than others for river cruising.
We have done the research and come up with the best time for a European river cruise.
Best time for a river cruise in Europe
September has a pleasant climate and normal water levels, which means there is a minimal chance of disruption due to low or high water levels and frozen rivers. In addition, large crowds will have dissipated by September, so there’s no need to book your cruise a year in advance or to pay a higher price..
With the majority of summer crowds and high prices gone and the heat of July and August behind you, September brings some of the most pleasant river cruising conditions. During April, May and June, the melting of snow coupled with spring rains flood most European rivers. As a result, boats are often unable to pass under low-hanging bridges due to the high water level.
When levels start to recede around August, especially after a dry summer, cruises can be postponed or cancelled altogether due to water being too low in some of the river systems, but if this is the best time for you to travel, you can make sure you're covered by getting cruise insurance that may compensate you for altered itineraries or cancelled sailings altogether. By November and December, you run the risk of rivers freezing in northern and eastern Europe. They’re sometimes closed shortly after Christmas during the dead of winter. The colder temperatures may also deter you from sitting out on the cruise deck to enjoy views of the passing countryside.
Weather and prices
- Best time for a European river cruise, weather-wise: From late June to mid-October the climate is warm and dry.
- Cheapest time for a European river cruise: Europe attracts fewer visitors during winter due to freezing temperatures. This makes river cruises cheaper during October, November and December.
Best time for a river cruise in Europe for:
- Rhine River: Despite the risk of high water levels during spring (March and April), a river cruise at this time of year can be a rewarding experience due to blossoming tulip gardens along the river. If you want to play it safe, avoid the rainy months from April to June.
- Danube River: River cruises on the Danube are increasingly popular in December thanks to vibrant celebrations and cities dressed up beautifully for Christmas.
- Amsterdam to Budapest (Main, Rhine, Danube) cruise: If you want to view Dutch tulip gardens, April and May are the best months to take a cruise. If you prefer Christmas markets, December is the right time for your trip. Take the cruise in September for pleasant weather and reliable water levels.
Now that you know the best time to go, check out the latest Europe river cruise deals
More guides on Finder
Best places to cruise in January
Find where you should be cruising to in January for exotic sights, incredible food and even better views.
Best places to cruise in December
Spend Christmas hopping between local Christmas markets or bathe in Queensland's blissful beaches.
Best places to go for cruises in September
Cruising in September means warm weather through Australia's waterways. Here's where we recommend pulling up anchor for.
5 of the best places to cruise in July
July is a great month for quirky and off-the-beaten-track destinations to suit all kinds of travellers.
Best places to travel to in November
Whether you want to sun on pristine beaches or an outback adventure, these are the must-visit places to explore this month.
Best places to cruise in May
May is a great shoulder season in the Northern Hemisphere where you can cruise to the best cruise ports and avoid the crowds.
Best places to cruise in November
With summer in our sights, we suss out the best places to hit the water by cruise ship in November.
Best places to cruise in October
The top places to sail off in the heart of spring from destinations as close as your capital city.
Best Italy tours and tour companies for 2021
Discover the highlights of Italy and beyond with tours that take you to places that are less explored and to the must-see sites across the country.
Score 2-for-1 luxury river cruises through Europe
EXPIRED: Set sail on a luxurious European adventure for 15 days in June or July.
Ask an Expert