Best self-help books in Australia
We sampled a long list of popular self-help books to bring you the best titles on offer in Australia right now.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
The best self-help books in Australia
- Bestselling self-help book: Think and Grow Rich
- Best self-help book for personal finance: Get Rich, Lucky Bitch
- Best self-help book for happiness: Think Like a Monk
- Best self-help book for anxiety and depression: Can't Hurt Me
- Best self-help book for men: Limitless
- Best self-help book for women: Untamed: Stop Pleasing, Start Living
Self-help guides are one of the most popular genres in literature right now. While many believe this is a relatively recent trend, its origins date all the way back to Ancient Egypt with the modern boom beginning in the 1930s.
With the promise of a better life, greater wealth or a generally more optimistic outlook it's easy to understand why self-help books are flying off shelves around Australia and throughout the world. If you're considering trying out a self-help guide but find yourself a little overwhelmed by the immensely large catalogue of options available, this list can help.
We'll take you through our top picks based on popular lifestyle demands, explain the different features of each one and outline the pros and cons of our chosen titles.
How did we pick this list?
Our editorial team selected the products on this list based on cross-platform analysis of genuine customer reviews. We started by looking at the first 25 titles on Amazon's Best-Selling self-help books list. We quickly eliminated any titles where cross-platform comparison with either Booktopia or Book Depository was not possible and calculated an average rating of the remaining 21 titles. We then selected the highest scoring self-help books and carefully matched them to the popular consumer search categories outlined above.
Bestselling self-help book: Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill
- Great for proactive customers looking to take charge of their life and make a change for the better.
- Timeless advice that remains as relevant today as it did when it was originally published in 1937.
- Some readers claim that the book is overrated.
- You have to be willing to work hard to achieve your goals to succeed.
Specs: 320 pages | Recommended for aged 18+ | Available in paperback, hardback and ebook formats | Dimensions (cm): 17.78 x 12.7 x 2.03
Price (RRP): $13.89Buy at AmazonBuy at Booktopia
Why we chose it
Napoleon Hill's Think and Grow Rich has sold over 100 million copies, giving it top spot as the bestselling self-help book of all time.
The novel was first published back in 1937, yet its long appreciated and timeless money-savvy advice remains relevant today. Napoleon Hill, who had a long and successful career as an author, lecturer and consultant to business leaders, spent 25 years intensely researching the material for this book.
Many customers claim to find Think and Grow Rich extremely inspiring and most would highly recommend it to their friends and family. However, a small proportion of readers seem to be of the notion that it's overrated. With that in mind we've created an overall satisfaction rating comparing the reviews from three online bookstores and Think and Grow Rich scores and impressive 4.2 out of a possible 5 based on more than 263,000 reviews.
Some sources consider Paulo Coehlo's The Alchemist to be the bestselling self-help book, as both have sold a similar amount of estimated copies. We decided that Think and Grow Rich is deserving of the title though, due to its older, more established pedigree.
What users say
"Great book, I recommend it to anyone who wishes to open their mind and change their life."
Best self-help book for personal finance: Get Rich, Lucky Bitch!: Release Your Money Blocks and Live a First-Class Life by Denise Duffield-Thomas
- Well received, no-nonsense business advice.
- Find out what's holding you back and make the change needed to succeed.
- Some readers claim that the book could be condensed to a much smaller read.
- In order to succeed you have to be ready to rethink the way you look at things.
Specs: 304 pages | Recommended for general audiences | Available in paperback and ebook formats | Dimensions (cm): 21.5 x 13.4 x 2.3
Price (RRP): $19.99Buy at AmazonBuy at Angus & Robertson
Why we chose it
When it comes to modern money know-how, Denise Duffield-Thomas' Get Rich, Lucky Bitch!: Release Your Money Blocks and Live a First-Class Life offers some great first-hand advice to help you on your personal roller coaster towards financial success.
The book was first published in July 2018 and features on Booktopia's Business Books for Excellence page. If you're on the lookout for tools to elevate your financial status and prefer it when advice comes in a no-nonsense, from experience format, Get Rich, Lucky Bitch! could give you just the boost you need.
In this book, Denise Duffield-Thomas takes you on a journey through all the highs and lows of her personal experiences on the road to her success and gives some seriously savvy advice along the way. Find out what's holding you back and deal with it today to secure success tomorrow.Many customers found Get Rich, Lucky Bitch! to be life-changing, truly inspiring and endearingly witty. And, even the negative reviews aren't really that negative either. Given that ratings can vary across different platforms, we've calculated an average customer satisfaction rating using the reviews from three online bookstores and Get Rich, Lucky Bitch! scores 4.3 out of a possible 5 based on more than 1,500 reviews.
What users say
"This book gives clear insight on how to get in the mindset of being rich, before we actually are. I highly recommend this book if you are ready for change!"
Best self-help book for happiness: Think Like a Monk by Jay Shetty
- Written by a vlogger with over 400 viral videos.
- Practical steps that can be taken by anyone willing to walk them.
- As with the majority of self-help books, a proactive attitude is needed.
- Some people have suggested that the tone of the text can be a little condescending.
Specs: 352 pages | Recommended for general audiences | Available in paperback, hardback and ebook formats | Dimensions (cm): 23.6 x 15.5 x 2.7
Price (RRP): $32.99Buy at AmazonBuy at Booktopia
Why we chose it
This massively popular and hugely appreciated self-help guide has been chosen as our best self-help book for promoting happiness and emotional wellbeing thanks to its impressive consumer reviews.
Published in September of 2020 following the height of the global pandemic we know as COVID-19, Think Like a Monk intended to embrace and uplift readers everywhere, 'cause let's face it, we all need a bit of a boost. Jay Shetty takes readers on a journey starting with breaking down barriers, travelling through and overcoming the doubt and negativity and finally coming to an all-encompassing feeling of calm and purpose.
By drawing on practised ancient wisdom and pairing that with his own bountiful experiences, Jay Shetty has created a masterpiece that is massively appreciated and well-received. Monks undertake years of training and discipline before they are ordained and in Think Like a Monk, the profound yet conceptual lessons a monk must work through are laid out in an advice and exercise format to ensure easy understanding for all.
If you're wanting to "reduce stress, improve focus, improve relationships, identify hidden abilities, increase self-discipline and give the gifts we find in ourselves to the world", reach for this self-help guide as so many customers have been amazed by the results that have ensued. As always, there are a few negative Nancys out there which is why we've compared all reviews from three separate sites to come up with an average customer rating. This book scores a massive 4.7 out of 5 making it a must-read for anyone wanting to achieve a happier, more serene sense of purpose in their lives.
What users say
"Really enjoyed reading this book. Some great exercises to do and daily practices to easily implement. Love Jay's style and the way he communicates."
Best self-help book for anxiety and depression: Can't Hurt Me by David Goggins
- Drawing on his own painful experiences, David Goggins lays out practical advice for overcoming anxiety and depression for good.
- Customer testimonials suggest that this has been a great help in getting them to address and improve their mental self-awareness.
- In order for the advice in this book to work, you have to be ready to face your demons.
- Some people weren't impressed by the use of foul language in the book.
Specs: 364 pages | Recommended for general audiences | Available in paperback, hardback, ebook and audiobook formats | Dimensions (cm): 22.86 x 15.24 x 2.06
Price (RRP): $26.15Buy at AmazonBuy at BooktopiaBuy at Angus & Robertson
Why we chose it
We have selected this title as the best self-help book for anyone suffering from anxiety or depression as a voice that speaks from experience is always the most reassuring and David Goggins demonstrates perfectly how mind over matter will always triumph when times get tough.
Can't Hurt Me is the story of a man who overcame his painful, abusive and poverty-laden childhood, battled with weight issues and won, suffered racial descrimination and managed to apply self-discipline and mental strength to transform himself into the celebrated U.S. Armed Forces icon he is today. It is a tale of complete triumph and, if you follow his teachings, you too could be triumphant.
If you want to take charge of your life, banish negative thoughts and manage your moods, heed the wise words in Can't Hurt Me. Tap into your true potential and prevent the strains of anxiety and depression from holding you back any longer.
Can't Hurt Me is a massive hit with the majority of readers and given that to date over 2.5 million copies have been sold, that in itself is a massive success. By cross-checking and comparing customer reviews across three separate platforms we have calculated an average customer rating of 4.5 out of 5. Pretty impressive. Hats off to David Goggins.
What users say
"This book is not just inspiring but life changing. It will challenge your thinking to create new and healthy mindsets. I would highly recommend this book to anyone."
Best self-help book for men: Limitless by Jim Kwik
- Written by an expert in his field, Jim Kwik is the world's #1 brain training coach.
- Customer testimonials suggest that this book has helped motivate, inspire and ultimately lead them to success.
- While we have recommended this book for men, the content applies to women too.
- Some people suggest that the content is a bit marketing-heavy.
Specs: 257 pages | Recommended for general audiences | Available in paperback, hardback and ebook formats | Dimensions (cm): 22.8 x 15.1 x 2.5
Price (RRP): $26.99Buy at AmazonBuy at Booktopia
Why we chose it
For the modern man on the road to self discovery, fulfilment and accomplishment, Limitless by Jim Kwik couldn't be more recommended. Using the rules of mindset, motivation and methods, the world's number one brain coach will help you unlock your true potential.
Limitless will teach you a technique that can be applied to any aspect of life be it improving relationships, building a healthier mental outlook, or enhancing your personal and professional success. Once you've taken on board the advice given in this book, your potential will be quite literally limitless.
For more than 25 years, Jim Kwik has used his innovative brain training strategies to help a long list of people including celebrities, CEOs and even students. For anyone looking to free themselves from the limitations of their own creation, energise their brains and be the best that they can be, Limitless will open doors you didn't know existed.
Limitless is a global sensation and has been well-received by most but as always there are a few negative vibes out there too. So, by comparing all customer reviews across three separate platforms we have calculated an average customer rating of 4.5 out of 5. So guys, if you want to start living exceptionally, let Jim Kwik be your guide.
What users say
"Everyone should read this book! We have not been taught adequately how to maximize our potential through using our mind to its full potential. This book will teach you!"
Best self-help book for women: Untamed: Stop Pleasing, Start Living by Glennon Doyle
- The #1 Sunday Times bestseller.
- Customer testimonials demonstrate that it instils a strong sense of female empowerment.
- Some readers found the writing to be a little self-indulgent.
- Some customers have reported a heavy focus on motherhood which isn't relevant for all women.
Specs: 352 pages | Recommended for general audiences | Available in paperback, hardback and ebook formats | Dimensions (cm): 21.4 x 13.5 x 2.5
Price (RRP): $35.00Buy at AmazonBuy at Booktopia
Why we chose it
This self-help book, created by Glennon Doyle, is an empowering piece of literature the modern woman can turn to whenever the need arises.
Untamed: Stop Pleasing, Start Living takes its readers on a journey starting with self-awareness, through a phase of reawakening and finally liberation. It will empower you to stop living to please others, speak out and stand up for yourself and change your outlook for good.
Whether you have found yourself in a rut and can't seem to climb out or just need some reassurance that it's okay to put your needs first, you're in safe hands with Glennon Doyle.
This fierce and feisty read will take you on an emotional rollercoaster that will change your thinking for good and the contextual approach taken by Glennon Doyle in the writing process helps to make the piece relatable to all.
When cross-checking and combining the reviews across three different platforms, Untamed: Stop Pleasing, Start Living scores a very healthy 4.2 out of 5 and the only negativity you'll find is claims that the author is self-indulging. We suggest you make up your own mind and take charge of your life like so many women before you.
What users say
"This is a book for the ages. A masterpiece of contextual thinking. One that makes you feel everything, think differently about everything and bask in the genius and sensitivity of the literary delivery."
Buying a self-help book
Do I need a self-help book?
Self-help books are extremely popular throughout Australia and across the globe. The question of whether you need one or not will depend on the context of your individual circumstances. For example, if you're in the mindset that you need to motivate your life to achieve your goals, be they personal or professional, you may find that the right self-help guide could provide that much-needed encouragement and inspiration you've been looking for. However, a self-help book cannot solve all of your problems by itself. You've got to be in the right headspace to make a positive change stick.
What to consider:
- Motivation. What is your motivation for buying a self-help book? Do you want to earn more money? Perhaps you need some advice on dealing with feelings of anxiety or depression? Whatever your reason, pinpoint it and let that be your guide when picking yours out.
- Mindset. Almost all of the self-help guides out there require you to be in the right mindset to succeed. As such, check in with yourself before buying something that will end up living unread on your nightstand for the next few months.
- Reviews. Always read reviews, the good and the bad, as they can really give you a feel for what the contents of the book cover. If any of the information you find out worries you, scrub the title from your list and move on to the next.
- Shopping online. When it comes to online shopping we know a thing or two. If you're looking to buy a self-help book online and aren't sure where to turn, our guide is sure to steer you in the right direction.
Best products chosen
- We started by looking at the top 25 titles featuring on Amazon's top 100 self-help guides list.
- We eliminated any titles where cross-platform review comparison with Booktopia and Book Depository was not possible and calculated an average customer rating for each of the remaining 21 titles.
- We then whittled down the list of the highest scoring self-help books to a total of 10 contenders.
- After that, we carefully considered which title best met the needs of each one of our chosen subcategories and matched them up.
- When choosing the bestselling self-help book of all time, two books not featured on Amazon's top 100 self-help guides list were considered due to their overall sales figures and admiration in the literary world.
- The products on this list are chosen by our editorial team and are not selected based on commercial relationships.
More guides on Finder
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
Today's best Finder Daily deals include: 58% off Memory Foam pillows, 60% off Sandisk Micro-SD memory cards, 70% off massage guns.
The best PlayStation 2 games of all time
Sony’s PlayStation 2 changed the gaming world back in the year 2000, but right now, what are the must-have and must-play games on the platform?
Best kitchen scales in Australia
We read hundreds of customer reviews to find the best kitchen scales you can buy online in Australia.
Best Retro Game Consoles in Australia
Whether you’re looking back on the games of your youth or picking up retro game collecting as a hobby, here’s the best retro games consoles in Australia.
Best prostate massagers in Australia
These are the 6 best prostate massagers you can buy right now in Australia.
Best water flossers in Australia
These are the five best water flosser you can buy right now in Australia.
Best Chromebooks in Australia
Work, learn and play with one of the best Chromebooks you can get your hands on in Australia right now.
Asus ZenBook UX482: A different take on laptops, but not for everyone
The Asus ZenBook UX482 makes the most of its innovative and redesigned secondary Screen Pad display, although this is totally a niche product for laptop users who don’t want to hook up external monitors.
Best dog harnesses in Australia
From the best harness for car rides to the top model for puppies, we've found the six best dog harnesses available online.
Best sleep masks in Australia
We've found the best sleep masks you can buy right now including light blocking, memory foam, cooling, silk and gel options.
Ask an Expert