Up to 35% off Australia getaways
5 best places to visit in September in Australia
September holiday inspiration to celebrate the beginning of spring.
- 1. Best budget destination: Freycinet, Tasmania
- 2. Best for events: Perth, Western Australia
- 3. Best for adventure: Darwin and Top End, Northern Territory
- 4. Best for getting out on the water: The Gold Coast, Queensland
- 5. Best for a weekend escape: Kangaroo Island, South Australia
- Top September events
- When is the best time in September to take a holiday?
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Warming weather, school holidays and Father's Day – these are just a few teasers of what you can look forward to this month. Need something else to look forward to? How about a trip away from the everyday?
We've brought you the best places you can set off to this month. They're all local, won't blow the budget and won't use up too much of your precious leave.
1. Best budget destination: Freycinet, Tasmania
September is prime whale-watching season across Australia's eastern coast. Budget-friendly and local options to catch these magnificent mammals include Sydney, Hervey Bay, Gold Coast and Fraser Island, but for something different, try Great Oyster Bay in Freycinet.
It's a fabulous spot to catch humpback and southern right whales migrating north this month and being shoulder season, it doesn't attract too many tourists.
- September weather: 11–17℃, spring.
- Top September events: Whale migration, Junction Arts Festival (1-5 September), Great Eastern Wine Weekend (3-13 September).
- Best for: Outdoor adventures and weekend getaways.
2. Best for events: Perth, Western Australia
The Western Australian capital is at its finest, in all senses of the word when spring comes around. It's a time when the weather is still cool but doesn't have too much rainfall.
As it follows a rainy winter, it's also ideal for catching the local wildflowers in bloom.
This year is said to be one of the best for the florals, so get in while you can.
- September weather: 17–22℃, spring.
- Top September events: Kings Park Festival (1-30 September), Perth Royal Show (25 September - 2 October) and Toodyay Picnic Race Day (26 September).
- Best for: Nature and city breaks.
3. Best for adventure: Darwin and Top End, Northern Territory
If you're longing to feel a sense of adventure then Darwin and the Top End is the place to be. Spend a few days touring Kakadu National Park or Katherine Gorge. The weather is warm with low humidity making it an ideal time to visit before the hotter weather arrives with summer.
You can't really say you've been to the Top End if you haven't come face-to-face with a croc. For those brave enough, try the thrilling cage of death experience at Crocosaurus Cove.
- September weather: 23–33℃, spring.
- Top September events: Darwin Pride Festival (3-5 September), Darwin Street Art Festival (30 August - 10 September 2021) and Mindil Beach Sunset Market (every Thursday and Sunday).
- Best for: Adventure, thrills and exploring.
4. Best for getting out on the water: The Gold Coast, Queensland
Time to throw off your winter woollies and get wet on the Gold Coast. The days are warmer, the rains are yet to come and September offers great wind conditions for water sports.
Whether you're keen to do some whale watching, try your hand at stand-up paddle boarding or master kite-surfing, the Gold Coast has it all on offer this month.
- September weather: 15-24℃, spring.
- Top September events: Crafted Beer and Cider Festival (11 September) and SWELL Sculpture Festival (10-19 September).
- Best for: Outdoor adventures, beach breaks and weekend getaways.
5. Best for a weekend escape: Kangaroo Island, South Australia
Surround yourself with nature, relaxation and yes, a bit of a pamper on Kangaroo Island. This little speck off the coast of South Australia packs a punch with its remarkable natural rock formations, enviable beachfronts and friendly characters, including kangaroos and seals.
Over spring you can catch the new-born kangaroos, wallabies and koalas emerging from their mothers' pouches.
- September weather: 15℃, spring.
- Top September events: Spring is when the island's wildflowers are in full bloom.
- Best for: Relaxation, nature, food.
Top September events
- Father's Day. Dad's big day lands on the first Sunday of September, which this year is 5 September. It's bound to be a busy weekend wherever you are, so try to avoid travelling early in the month to steer clear of overpriced holidays.
- Spring school holidays. Depending on which state you're in, the spring school holidays start as early as 18 September and run into mid-October.
When is the best time in September to take a holiday?
For Australians, September is a month filled with event dates and school holiday breaks. It's also a time when the weather starts to turn warm so those looking to kick the winter blues will be considering travelling, even for a short weekend.
To avoid the crowds and the holiday surcharges, travel as early in the month as possible. Queensland, Sydney and Melbourne's school holidays start 18 September. Northern Territory, South Australia, Western Australia and Tasmania school holidays start 25 September.
Due to the ongoing pandemic, some borders are closed. Check out the latest travel restrictions so you can travel safely.
Up to 65% off holiday packages
Up to 25% off Australia Day escapes
Up to 15% off 2022 getaways
Up to 22% off worldwide getaways
Up to 25% off getaways for members
Up to 30% off Australia family getaways
Up to 26% off Gold Coast hotels
Up to 30% off Melbourne stays
Australia stays from $29/night
Up to 71% off worldwide getaways
Extra $10 off Australia getaway packages
Up to $10 off Hobart activities with code
Up to 36% off last-minute domestic escapes
Australia stays from $18/night
Up to 36% off domestic stays + free cancellations
Up to 61% off Australia getaways
Get 7th night free on stays
Up to 60% off express deals
Australia beach holidays from $82/night
Up to 44% off Novotel Sydney stays with breakfast
Extra 12% off sitewide with code
Up to 15% off luxury stays in Australia
Up to 32% off 5-night Malaysia beachfront retreat for 2
Up to 75% off 8-night Thailand beachfront getaway
Up to 64% off 4-day Cambodia retreat with temple tour
Up to 56% off 5-night Greece escape for 2
Up to 27% off Sydney escape with breakfast and wine
Up to 20% off on advance bookings
Up to 15% off 5 nights stays worldwide
Up to 10% off staycations
Extra 10% off stays for members
$496: Sleepover at Melbourne Zoo for 2
Extra 10% off Asia getaways
Up to 40% off Canada hotels
Up to 20% off Canada ski hotels
Up to 25% off Las Vegas getaways
Up to 40% off Langkawi stays
Up to 30% off Cuba escapes
Up to 21% off Cuba hotels
Australia stays from $30 per night
Melbourne homestays from $102 per night
Up to 65% off stays + free night on stays
Rarotonga stays from NZD$71/night
Auckland stays from NZD$45/night
Queenstown stays from NZD$82/night
Perth stays from $20/night
Up to 26% off Perth stays
Up to 15% off escapes
Australia stays from $279 per night
Australia getaways from $134 per night
Australia escapes from $95 per night
Up to 25% off United Kingdom stays
Up to 15% off Melbourne getaways
Up to 20% off Gold Coast getaways
Up to 25% off Darwin escapes
Up to 46% off USA and Europe stays
Up to 73% off Asia getaways
Up to 37% off Australia stays
Up to $181 off Hamilton Island 4-night romantic getaway
Up to $440 off 4-night getaway with Heart Island adventure
Up to 25% off Las Vegas escapes
Up to 25% off USA 2-night stays
Extra $5 off Australia family holidays with code
Up to 10% off Hobart stays
Up to 10% off Noosa Heads stays
Up to 58% off Sydney escape for 2 with breakfast
Up to 50% off Sydney getaways
Up to 30% off Las Vegas stays
Up to $435 off qualia stays with full day snorkeling experience
Up to $160 off 4-night Hamilton Island golf getaway
Up to $2,040 7-night qualia honeymoon getaway
Up to $253 off Whitsundays getaway
Up to $514 off 4-night qualia escape
Up to 40% off Thailand escape with breakfast
Melbourne escapes from $125 per night
Extra 10% off North America stays
Up to 15% off Europe stays + an extra 12% off members
Extra 10% off Europe getaways
Australia stays from $9/night
Up to 30% off London getaways
Up to 73% off things to do in Australia
Earn free night on stays
Up to 10% off Sydney getaways
Up to 30% off Melbourne stays