Best places to visit in October 2018
Our top five destinations to spend the middle of spring in.
Spring has sprung and to celebrate surviving the winter blues, we're eyeing these top destinations to travel this month.
It's also the end of the school holidays (yay? boo?) so if you haven't yet given the kids a treat, you can find yourself a last-minute break before the term commences again.
Where will you go?
The 5 best places to visit in October
1. Best budget destination: Bali
Australians flock to Bali like a moth flocks to a flame, and in October, you'll find the island boasting idyllic dry and warm weather conditions.
- October weather. 27-31℃, dry season
- Top October events. Agni Hotra Fire Ceremony, Bali Vegan Festival and New Kuta Golf Biggest Anniversary Tournament
2. Best city to visit: Beijing
It's not too late to tick the Great Wall off your bucket list for 2017, and with cool temperatures and minimal rainfall, October is the time to do just that.
As a nation, October is one of the best times to visit China. This is not only for its weather but because of cheap off-peak prices and to catch celebrations like National Day on 1 October.
- October weather. 8-18℃, autumn
- Top October events. National Day (1-3 October)
3. Best for beaches: Fiji
Set your clocks to Fiji time this month as you unwind on its pristine beaches and adopt its relaxed way of life.
Whether you're cruising to the island or flying in, October to November flourishes with affordable accommodation, clear skies and a small crowd of holidaymakers who know October, not December, is when to place your bum on Fijian sand or surf the gnarly waves.
- October weather. 26-30℃, dry season
- Top October events. 2017 Nurture Change Retreat (25 October - 12 November) and Colonial Fiji Discovery Tour (3-10 October).
Image: Jane Gillings, The Pearly Gates, Sculpture by the Sea, Bondi 2016. Photo Cyde Yee
4. Best for events: Sydney
The largest public sculpture festival in the world, Sculpture By The Sea, welcomes its 19th anniversary on Bondi Beach this year. If you've got a spare weekend, it's well worth the trip for a day wandering the beach, playing with life-sized sculptures and soaking up the spring sunshine.
Naturally, it's not the only event running this October with Good Food Month and the end of Art and About Sydney ready to entertain and delight all the senses.
- October weather. 21-26℃, spring
- Top October events. Sculpture By The Sea (19 October - 5 November), LaVazza Italian Film Festival (12 September - 8 October), Good Food Month (5-22 October), Sydney Beer Week (20-29 October) and Oktoberfest in the Gardens (28 October).
5. Best surprise destination: The Himalayas
October is officially all about crossing your bucket list items off. And if walking the Great Wall wasn't enough for you, try trekking the Himalayas.
October marks the beginning of hiking season and with most trails starting to open up. Tours through Nepal can start from as little as $1,325 per person for a 10-day experience with G Adventures but can build up to a trip of 21-days.
- October weather. 26-35℃, autumn
- Top October events. Dashain (27 September - 5 October) and Tihar (17-21 October).
Top October events
- Oktoberfest. Even though Oktoberfest starts in September, it runs through the first half of October. You don't even have to be in Germany to celebrate Oktoberfest as numerous destinations around the world host their own parties.
- Labour Day. NSW, ACT and South Australia celebrate Labour Day on 2 October 2017 with a public holiday. While not an event, it is a day off and often welcomes local events within city centres.
- Good Food Month. Specifically a Sydney event, Good Food Month is an annual gastronomic celebration that overtakes the city throughout October. This year, the event runs from 5-22 October.
- Halloween. 31 October is Halloween and is a day of tricks, treats and parties.
The best time to travel in October
Outside of the school holidays, which ends on the 8th of October for much of Australia October is relatively quiet for travellers making it low season and a great time to travel.
The best time to travel is then mid-end October as kids are back in school and, if you're planning to travel around Australia, the weather will be warming up.
October is also a quiet month for international travel as again, it's outside of the major school holiday period. Being that period between the summer break for the Northern Hemisphere and Christmas, people tend not to take leave during this month, preferring to save it for the Christmas holidays.