Best places to visit in May in Australia
Discover beautiful places with minimal crowds at these May hotspots.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
The month of May brings with it the end of autumn and the end of the school holiday break.
Want to take advantage of off-peak prices? Perhaps the idea of extending the sunshine just that little bit longer is speaking to you? Well, these Aussie hotspots can do all that and more, and all without breaking the bank.
PS: May is also the month of Mother's Day. If you're looking for the ultimate gift, a weekend away is a brilliant idea.
Adventure, culture and food meet in the outback.
The annual Taste of Kakadu food festival is making a name for itself on the festival circuit. Originally a 10-day celebration, this year it's been packed into 3 days (28-31 May) of Indigenous food, culture and country.
Experiences that are often on the bill include foraging walks with bush tucker experts, ground oven feasts and cooking demonstrations using native ingredients.
Housed within Kakadu National Park it's the perfect excuse to double down, visit the outback and tuck into some good, well, tucker.
- May weather: 18-32°C, dry season.
- Top May events in the NT: Taste of Kakadu, BASSINTHEGRASS (Darwin), Mataranka Never Never Festival (Mataranka, south of Kakadu), Uluru Camel Cup (Yulara).
- Best for: Adventure, culture, foodies.
Because Queensland is always a good idea.
If you're searching for warm beaches without the long commute, Queensland is the answer. You could choose the Whitsundays or the Gold Coast but for somewhere family-friendly that's just starting to wind down make your way to Cairns.
Its beaches stay warm throughout the year and May tip-toes on the dry season which starts in June so it's still quiet and for the most part, still dry.
- May weather: 19-28°C, winter.
- Top May events: Live music and beach sports throughout the city.
- Best for: Beaches, watersports, families.
Get set to see another side of South Australia.
More than Adelaide and Kangaroo Island, head west from the capital and you'll discover the York Peninsula. It's a rich region of farming towns, beaches, national parks and food, food, food.
In May the weather is on the cooler side of things which, while not ideal to hit the beaches, is fabulous for festivals and hikes.
Speaking of festivals, this month the Kernewek Lowender Copper Coast Cornish Festival brings an English flair to the towns of Kadina, Moonta and Wallaroo. If you were considering heading to the UK this year but had to ditch your plans, this is a surefire winner of a replacement.
- May weather: 9-19°C, autumn.
- Top May events: Kernewek Lowender Copper Coast Cornish Festival.
- Best for: Culture, hiking, food.
Top May events
These are the events across Australia and the world that typically run in May. Due the outbreak of COVID-19, many of these events are set to go ahead later on in the year.
- Mother’s Day: In Australia this is on the second Sunday of May. Mark it on your calendar now before you forget.
- Stars of the White Nights: The heart of Saint Petersburg is host to a festival of the world's most famous artists including Beethoven, Prokofiev, Tchaikovsky and more. Russia hosts this event each year at the end of May, offering up its magnificent Mariinsky Opera as home for the 160 performances.
- Waisak/Vesk: This is the holiest day in the Buddhist calendar and is observed in various countries worldwide including Indonesia, Sri Lanka, China, Japan, Singapore, Vietnam and Malaysia. The date changes depending on where you are but it generally falls in May. During the festival, Buddhists assemble at various temples for ceremonial flag raisings, singing, offertories and prayer. With travel restrictions at the moment, you may not be able to visit these countries to experience it, however there will likely be local celebrations happening.
- Vivid Sydney: Each year Sydney brings an installation of international proportions. With a light display that stretches from the Rocks and Circular Quay to the Royal Botanic Garden, this is a must-see event for anyone who happens to find themselves in the city. This year Vivid will be on in August.
When is the best time in May to take a holiday?
As May falls after the Easter school break, it finds itself in a low-season lull. Because of this, we've seen quite a few last-minute flight deals across Australia throughout the month.
That being said, we wouldn't say the whole month is a good time to travel. The Mother's Day weekend is likely to raise the price of airfares due to mothers being gifted holidays and children visiting their parents.
More guides on Finder
Rapid antigen tests: When will RAT stock be available? [UPDATED]
Rapid antigen tests are proving extremely hard to find, but there are options if you can be patient trying to find a RAT.
Bitcoin price showcases signs of a local bottom but emerging inflation data suggests more dips
The US Consumer Price Index (CPI) has continued to touch relative highs in recent months, giving rise to fears that more inflation may be on the cards in the near term.
Ethereum price reflects market sentiment in general with no immediate respite in sight
Ethereum’s price woes were recently compounded by news of prominent trading platform LCX revealing that one of its ETH hot wallets had been compromised.
January’s best balance transfer credit card offers
Want to pay off your credit card in 2022? These 0% balance transfer offers give you a way to save on interest for up to 36 months.
How to watch Euphoria season 2 online in Australia
The popular teen drama promises an epic season 2.
Back to school costs 2022
Parents will fork out $20.3 billion on back to school costs this year - $3,621 each for primary students and $6,957 for secondary students.
New on Netflix, Prime Video, Disney Plus, Stan, Foxtel, BINGE and more in January 2022
You can easily elevate your binge-watching game in the New Year.
Influencers to follow to educate yo’self in 2022
From bodi posi influencers to political activists, make your daily scrolls more meaningful with these inspiring icons on your feed.
Samsung Galaxy S21 FE first look review: Is it worth $999?
The new Samsung Galaxy S21 FE 5G has some impressive specs and features, but is it enough to warrant a $999 price tag in Australia?
Ask an Expert