Top 4 travel destinations in Australia this June
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
- Due to the pandemic events mentioned may be suspended or postponed for 2021. Check the official sites before heading out.
It's June already. Can you believe it?
Almost half the year has left us behind and with winter nipping at our toes and the June long weekend coming up, cashing in on that bonus day off for travelling is not a maybe, it's a must.
So where's good to go this month that local? We know quite a few sunny places, plus a few snow-capped destinations for anyone looking to push the powder this season.
1. Best budget destination: Whitsundays
With sun, beach and discounted accommodation packages, Hamilton Island is the real deal this month.
The Whitsundays is our very own piece of paradise and while it's good to visit year round, June is looking exceptionally pretty – particularly on your hip pocket.
Being on our shores and serviced by budget airline Jetstar (under normal circumstances), short breaks on cheap flights are imminent.
- June weather: 22-25℃, winter
- Top June events: Great Whitehaven Beach Run
2. Best surprise destination: Broome
Explore a part of your nation you've never seen before.
When winter rolls around, the hotter parts of our nation become the hottest places to hightail it to, and Broome is one of our most remarkable outback wonders. Not only is it dry season, it's also the start of racing and concert season.
This month, catch the first races of the season at the Broome Turf Club (day one is on 29 May, but days two and three run through June).
- June weather: 28-31°C, winter
- Top June events: Broome Turf Club Race Days (from 29 May).
3. Best for events: Sydney
The festival is in town.
June might be winter in Sydney but it never gets blistering cold and even if it does there are plenty of indoor events to keep you toasty.
The big one this month is the Good Food and Wine Show which runs from 25-27 June and features some of the best local culinary delights as well as masterchefs in their element.
Other festivals worth their salt are the the Winter Magic Festival in Katoomba and Afterpay Australian Fashion Week at Sydney's Carriageworks.
- June weather: 9-17°C, winter
- Top June events: Good Food and Wine Show, Afterpay Australian Fashion Week and Winter Magic Festival.
4. Best for Aussie snow: Thredbo
If luck is on your side, you could score some early snowfall in your own backyard.
Searching for snow closer to home? You may be able to catch some powder at the end of the month if the local snowfields get an early dump.
According to the official website, Thredbo's slopes are penned to open from 12-14 June 2021.
Fingers crossed and snowboards and skis ready.
- June weather : -2-7°C, winter
- Top June events: Winter 2021 Opening Weekend celebrations.
5. Best for international snow: Mt Hutt (near Christchurch)
Pining for an overseas getaway? Borders finally open to you? Check out New Zealand.
While Australia awaits the first decent snowfalls in the mountains, New Zealand is already relishing in it.
Keen snow bunnies will not only delight in the early opening dates of its resorts but in its long snow season which tends to run from June through to October.
The season tends to open in the first week of June at Mt Hutt near Christchurch and The Remarkables in Queenstown.
Keep on top of the latest travel updates before you book this one as border openings are subject to change.
- June weather (Mt Hutt): 7-11°C, winter
- Top June events (Christchurch): None.
Top June events
- Queen’s birthday long weekend. For most of Australia (except Western Australia and Queensland), the Queen’s birthday long weekend falls in June and brings with it three days off work or school.
- Summer/winter solstice. Depending on which hemisphere you’re in, the summer (northern hemisphere) or winter (southern hemisphere) solstice arrives late June. Celebrations typically follow on both ends of the world.
- Vivid Sydney. One of Sydney's largest festivals runs through most of June bringing with it a spectacular light show and interactive art exhibitions. In 2021 however this has been bumped to August but may return to June in future years. More details here.
When’s the best time in June to take a holiday?
As June is the beginning of winter and the school holidays in Australia don't start until the end of the month at the very earliest, travelling throughout the month isn't too expensive.
The big dates you might like to avoid are over the Queen's birthday long weekend (12-14 June). This is celebrated in NSW, Victoria, South Australia, Tasmania, the NT and the ACT. Western Australians don't celebrate the Queen's Birthday in June but they do get a long weekend from 5-7 June for Western Australia Day. Bear these in mind as demand generally pulls up flight and accommodation prices.
What are the best travel deals available in June?
With the end of financial year just around the corner and it being the low season for most destinations within Australia, June is a great time to get a bargain on a trip.
We've rounded up the best June travel deals we could find to help you get to these destinations for even less.
More guides on Finder
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
Today's best Finder Daily deals include: Half price Sennheiser Gaming Headsets, 60% off health and beauty, Catch Mother's Day sale.
Best pop-up tents in Australia
If you’re searching for a pop-up tent, we can help you find the perfect option for your needs.
Mr Simple discount codes and coupons April 2021
Rework your wardrobe today and see how much you could save with one of these active Mr Simple promo codes.
10 best camping chairs in Australia 2021
Find the best camping chair for holidays, hiking, festivals, 4WDing, fishing and more.
Best supermarket brands in Australia 2021
Aussie consumers have chosen the best supermarket brand in Australia plus the best brand for value for money, customer service, range of produce and more.
Best home security cameras in Australia
These are the best security camera systems you can get your hands on in Australia.
Best frozen vegetable brands in Australia
These are the 5 best frozen vegetable brands in Australia, as chosen by consumers.
Campervan relocations in Australia | Where to book, what to know
Discover great destinations for campervan relocations for your adventure across Australia.
Best caravan parks in Robe, South Australia
Ensure a good night’s sleep after a day exploring the Limestone Coast.
Best swags in Australia
These are the 7 best swags you can buy right now in Australia.
Ask an Expert