Where to go in Canberra
From world-renowned galleries and museums to snow-laden adventures in the Snowy Mountains, there’s much more to Canberra than you might think.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Whether you want to dive into the nation’s history or you’re looking for an active weekend away, Canberra offers a little something for everyone.
It's packed full of national monuments, museums and galleries built around a large and beautiful lake. Canberra’s also a great place to enjoy the outdoors, with excellent bushwalking, cycling, gardens, parks and nature reserves.
Best places to visit in Canberra
1. Lake Burley Griffin
The centrepiece of Canberra, Lake Burley Griffin, is an ideal water playground. You can come here to bike or stroll along the waterfront paths, fish, paddle or sail the sparkling waters and picnic along the parks.
Many of the city's top tourist attractions lie along its shores, and it's also the home of annual festivals such as Floriade.
- Best for: The history buff
- How to get there: This is the hub for the action in Canberra so you can easily get around on foot, by bus or even bike.
- Top five things to see/do: Questacon, National Portrait Gallery, Parliament House of Australia, National Gallery of Australia, Old Parliament House
- How long do I need? Full day.
- Recommended tour: Canberra's Capital City Landmarks tour covers all the top landmarks while allowing you to take in the beauty of Lake Burley Griffin.
2. Snowy Mountains
Around two hours south of Canberra, Australia's high country is home to dramatic peaks, sparkling mountain streams and a slew of natural attractions for any outdoors enthusiast.
Rising to a height of 2,228 meters, the mountains are popular year-round. In the summer try your hand at hiking, water sports, horseback riding and fishing. In the winter, skiers take over its resorts.
- Best for: The active traveller
- How to get there: We suggest hiring a car to easily get around the area but you can also access the Snowy Mountains by coach or train.
- Top five things to see/do: Explore and hike Mount Kosciuszko National Park, visit the Snowy Hydro Discovery Centre, river sled at Lake Crackenback, go horseback riding, conquer the slopes at Thredbo or Perisher
- How long do I need? Weekend
- Recommended tour: Enjoy the thrill of horseback riding on this full day horse ride tour taking you through some of the most diverse and rugged mountain terrain.
3. Molonglo Valley
This district on the west of Lake Burley Griffin is surrounded by nature reserves, large, modern parks and the popular National Zoo and Aquarium where you can have some up-close animal encounters.
- Best for: Nature lovers
- How to get there: Driving is the easiest way to get around the region but you can also get there by public transport.
- Top five things to see/do: National Arboretum, Cotter Reserve, Royal Australian Mint, National Zoo and Aquarium, Mount Stromlo Observatory
- How long do I need? Full day
- Recommended tour: A two-hour behind-the-scenes tour at the National Zoo offers you the opportunity to feed a variety of animals and experience a slew of rare and close-up encounters.
4. Canberra Central
The hustle and bustle of this compact centre packs a punch for sightseeing and experiencing the trendy growth of Canberra.
If you’re keen for some retail therapy during the day or dancing until sunrise then this is where you should base yourself.
- Best for: The all-rounder
- How to get there: Canberra Central is found at the north of the lake and is easy to get by foot, bike or public transport, depending on where you're coming from.
- Top five things to see/do: National Museum of Australia, Australian War Memorial, Australian National Botanic Gardens, National Capital Exhibition, Mount Ainslie Lookout
- How long do I need? Weekend
- Recommended tour: View all of Canberra's top attractions floating gently over the city with a hot air balloon experience.
Canberra's great city of the north-west offers an insight into Canberra’s suburban life with some fun attractions surrounding the city.
- Best for: The off-the-beaten-track traveller
- How to get there: Located northwest of the lake, Belconnen is easily accessed by public transport.
- Top five things to see/do: Australian Institute of Sport, Black Mountain Tower, Belconnen Arts Centre, Lake Ginninderra, National Bonsai and Penjing Collection
- How long do I need? Half day
- Recommended tour: Go behind the scenes at Australia’s premier elite sporting precinct on a comprehensive 90-minute tour through the world-class facilities to see where Australia’s top athletes train.
Top travel deals in Canberra
Popular Top Canberra travel deals coupon codes
|Last checked||Code description||Code|
|22 Jan 2021||Get up to 20% off 3+ day rentals||210****|
|21 Jan 2021||Up to 15% off with code||PAP****|
|20 Jan 2021||Australia: Romantic getaways from $150 + an extra 10% off with code||PLU****|
|12 Jan 2021||Up to USD$30 off flight booking fees||HOL****|
|12 Jan 2021||Up to USD$20 off flight fees||PRE****|
More guides on Finder
Best caravan parks on the Sunshine Coast
Discover more than just idyllic beaches and untouched national parks along the Sunshine Coast.
Best caravan parks in Noosa
Find the best caravan parks in Noosa and discover the perfect base for exploring the Noosa everglades, Noosa National Park and even heading over to Fraser Island.
5 ideas and things to do on Boxing Day in Canberra
In Canberra on 26 December? We’ve got your itinerary sorted.
Campervan hire in Sydney | Where to book, what to know
Find your perfect home on wheels with campervan rentals in The Harbour City.
8 picture-perfect Cairns resorts to book for 2021
Lose yourself in the top accommodation tropical north Queensland has to offer.
Family getaways from Canberra to put smiles on their dials
Break out of the big city and explore the local townships, national parks and beaches with your brood these school holidays.
Holiday homes in Canberra | Where to book your dream stay
Search for long and short term stays in the Australian capital that feel like home.
5 romantic getaways in Canberra
The most luxurious and unique stays in Canberra to spoil your loved one at.
11 romantic getaways in the Sunshine Coast Hinterland for secluded luxury
Escape to the lush Sunshine Coast hinterland and stay at accommodation made for two with our top picks on where to stay for a romantic getaway.
Where to buy face masks in Canberra and ACT
Here’s where you can shop locally-made masks or get them delivered fast in Canberra.
Ask an Expert