The top 3 Australian places to visit in April for golden leaves, beaches and events
April flowers with traditions, dry seasons and a healthy dose of public holidays.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
The Easter long weekend (2-5 April) and Anzac Day (25 April) are both in April 2021, giving you three public holidays in the month to play with.
Liking the sound of that? Then you'll need somewhere to go. Or two places to go (one for each public holiday, geddit?).
Here are a few suggestions we prepared earlier. Because it's not too late to book. No, really.
1. Best city to visit: Perth
Perth is trumping Sydney and Melbourne for clear skies and warm-hot temperatures this April.
One of the few major cities in Australia you can count on to be bathed in perpetual sunshine this month is Perth.
Being autumn, the temperatures in the Western Australia capital drop considerably, rarely peaking over 28℃ and with low humidity. If you're bringing the family for the Easter break, there are plenty of Easter egg hunts to join in as well as free flicks in the park.
- April weather: 23–29℃, dry with low humidity.
- Top April events: Taste Great Southern, Buddha's Birthday and Multicultural Festival, Joondalup Festival, Secret Harbour Easter Fair, Open Gardens Family Fun Day in the Garden.
- Best for: City breaks, exploration.
2. Best for relaxation: Hunter Valley
Two words: autumn leaves.
The turn of the season brings a golden glow to this beautiful wine region which sits just north of Sydney.
Being at the tail-end of wedding season, April is still a little busy in the Hunter but definitely not as busy as summer. The weather has cooled down considerably, rains are minimal and harvest is done and dusted.
This means more relaxation for you without feeling like a sticky mess as you would in summer.
- April weather: 12–25℃, autumn.
- Top April events: Easter Celebrations at Hunter Valley Gardens, Hunter Valley Gin and Jazz Festival and The Quarry Mining Mailrun Charity Bike Ride.
- Best for: Romantics and wine lovers.
3. Best for festivals: Victoria
Food, harvest and flowers all come to bloom in Victoria's capital this April.
Where Sydney takes summer, Adelaide takes March. When April rolls around, all the spotlights are on Melbourne for festivals galore.
This month you can expect to drink your fill at the Pyrenees Unearthed Wine Festival in Avoca, eat your way through the Wild Harvest Seafood Festival in Mallacoota, be that Instagram star at the Tesselaar KaBloom Festival of Flowers in Silvan, laugh your socks off at the Melbourne International Comedy Festival and sing and dance your hearts out at the Gippsland Country Music Festival and Midsumma Festival. Phew!
- April weather: 12–21℃, autumn.
- Top April events: Melbourne International Comedy Festival, Gippsland Country Music Festival, Midsumma Festival, NGV Tiennial, Castlemaine Fringe Festival, Pyrenees Unearthed Wine Festival and Wild Harvest Seafood Festival.
- Best for: Food and culture.
Follow the festival: Top April events to attend
- Easter: Practically every Christian-based nation will be celebrating Easter in some way, shape or form this month. If you'd prefer to avoid the crowds try camping over the Easter break in a more remote location or visiting a small township.
- New Year: Some countries and religions celebrate their new year in April. These include Nepal, Thailand, Assyria, Bangladesh and many Indian states such as Manipuri and Bengal. As to be expected, celebrations are rife during this time.
When is the best time in April to take a holiday?
As April is the turn of a season, many countries enjoy either spring or autumn at the time so it’s a beautiful time of year to visit them.
Easter holidays fall between 2-5 April 2021, which means you won’t be alone on your travels if you choose this weekend to go on holiday. It also means prices soar around these dates. Are you on a budget or prefer to avoid the crowds? Choose to holiday after the first week of April instead.
On the flipside, many cities host incredible festivities at Easter, which could be exactly what you’re after.
See the latest April travel deals
More guides on Finder
Amazon Prime Day 2021 Australia: Early deals on now
Amazon Prime Day 2021 officially starts on June 21 - or does it? Here's a stack of early-bird deals you can get right now.
Handypay Green Loan
A Green Loan from Handypay could help you make your home more energy-efficient. Handypay green loans are available up to $75,000 on terms of up to 10 years.
Victoria floods: How much food spoilage will your home insurance cover?
There’s been over 25,000 power outages across Victoria. Home insurance can reimburse you for the food that’s gone to waste. Find out who here.
TCL 20SE Review: Great display but otherwise unremarkable
If you're after a low-cost mobile with a quality display, the TCL 20SE is appealing, but you'll otherwise be left wanting for app performance, camera quality and battery life.
Today’s ASX top stocks: Moneyme (MME ↑18.8%), Cd Private Equity Fund I (CD1 ↑18.5%)
The 10 biggest movers on the ASX for Tuesday 15 June 2021.
Amazon Prime Day: 60% off fashion deals you’re not going to want to miss
Bargain hunters - get ready to save on Nike, New Balance, Cotton On, Tommy Hilfiger, Calvin Klein and so much more.
Amazon Prime Day best home deals: Bose, iRobot and more
From home speakers to robot vacuums, these are the items to watch out for this Prime Day.
Bitcoin up 21%: Will El Salvador’s big news kick off a fresh bull run?
Bi-weekly gains of just under 9%.
Staple items worth a splurge and how you can grab a cheeky 30% off all of them
We've got a cheeky 30% off at THE ICONIC so here are the staple items worth a splurge because the savings are too damn good.
Ask an Expert