The top 5 places to visit in April for culture, citybreaks and sun
April flowers with traditions, dry seasons and more public holidays than you can poke a stick at.
That’s right, PUBLIC HOLIDAYS.
Outside Christmas, April has the highest concentration of public holidays in the year. That’s Good Friday, Easter Monday and ANZAC Day giving you two back-to-back long weekends to play with. Or if you choose to hack it, one generously long 12-day holiday using a bare minimum of six leave days.
Liking the sound of that? Then you’ll need somewhere to go. Here are a few suggestions we prepared earlier...
1. Best budget destination: Xi'an
History, culture and a cool autumn climate all come together in the beautiful Chinese city of Xi'an in April.
Home to the famous Terracotta Warriors as well as other captivating sights such as the Big Wild Goose Pagoda, Stele Forest and Daming Palace National Heritage Park, Xi'an has much to offer for those seeking a unique and cheap break.
We've been seeing consistent flights over the last month sending Aussies there and back for under $300 so you definitely won't be breaking any banks on this one. And with its cool autumn climate, it's a world away from these stinking hot weather we've been embracing this last month.
- April weather: 10-21℃, autumn.
- Top April events: Ancestor Worship in Mausoleum of the Huang Emperor.
- Best for: Culture, history, exploration.
2. Best city to visit: Perth
Perth is trumping Sydney and Melbourne for clear skies and warm-hot temperatures this April.
While wild and unpredictable weather is raging across Australia's eastern coast, one of the few major cities in Australia that's being bathed in perpetual sunshine is Perth.
Being autumn, the temperatures in Perth have dropped considerably rarely peaking over 30℃ and the humidity is quite low and, if you're bringing the family for the Easter break there are plenty of Easter egg hunts to join in as well as free flicks in the park.
- April weather: 25–31℃, dry with low humidity
- Top April events: Crazy Fun Carnival, the Maze's annual Easter hunt, twilight markets, State Markers festival and Eat Drink Perth
- Best for: City breaks, exploration.
3. Best for relaxation: Japan
Witness magic happen as Japan is bathed in the brilliant pink glow of the sakura tree.
Fondly known as cherry blossoms, the blooming of the sakura trees is one of the most breathtaking moments in Japan’s calendar. The first blooms occur in late March with full blooms starting in early April. Throughout the month there’s also plenty of celebrations including an annual geisha performance and a phallic festival. Yes, a phallic festival.
- April weather: -4–13℃ depending on which part of the country you are visiting, spring.
- Top April events: Miyako Odori, the opening of the Tateyama Kurobe Alpine Route, Inuyama Festival, Takayama Spring Festival, Kanamara Matsuri and Earth Day Tokyo.
- Best for: Romance, unwinding.
4. Best events: Semana Santa and Feria de Abril in Seville
Turn to the Spanish city of Seville for a different kind of Easter celebration.
Buckets of sunshine and an addictively sweet smell of oranges isn’t Seville’s only drawcard. During Easter it hosts one of the most unusual Christian celebrations in the world. Called Semana Santa, revellers dress in Nazareno robes, sandals and cone-shaped capirote hats and march alongside elaborate floats decorated with 17th century icons. Stay an extra fortnight and you can dance, sing, drink and party at the annual Feria de Abril Seville Fair, too.
- April weather: 18℃, spring.
- Top April events: Semana Santa and Feria de Abril.
- Best for: Culture, unwinding, exploration.
5. Best surprise destination: Cuba
Tipped as a hot destination for 2017, beat the masses to Cuba by visiting the island early.
April, naturally, is one of the best times to do this. It’s hot but pleasant and is just out of peak season which ends mid-March, so prices won’t be extortionately high by comparison. The capital of Havana is a popular base to start exploring the nation’s colourful architecture and music scene.
- April weather: 25℃, spring.
- Top April events: Havana Biennial and International Dance Festival in Havana Scenery.
- Best for: Unwinding, exploration and culture.
Follow the festival: Top April events to attend
- Easter: Practically every Christian-based nation will be celebrating Easter in some way, shape or form this month. If you’d prefer to avoid the masses (and the venue closures) choose a country that doesn’t celebrate Easter such as Japan, South Korea or Morocco.
- New Year: Some countries and religions celebrate their new year in April. These include Nepal, Thailand, Assyria, Bangladesh and many Indian states such as Manipuri and Bengal. As to be expected, celebrations are rife during this time.
When is the best time in April to take a holiday?
As April is the turn of a season, many countries enjoy either spring or autumn at the time so it’s a beautiful time of year to visit them.
In 2017, the Easter holidays fall 14–17 April, which means you won’t be alone on your travels if you choose this weekend to go on holiday. It also means prices soar around these dates. Are you on a budget or prefer to avoid the crowds? Choose to holiday in the first two weeks of April instead.
On the flipside, many cities host incredible festivities at Easter, which could be exactly what you’re after.
Top April holiday deals