The top 5 places to visit in April for culture, citybreaks and sun
April flowers with traditions, dry seasons and a healthy dose of public holidays.
That's right, PUBLIC HOLIDAYS.
Easter might be split between March and April this year, but you can still start the month on a high with a Monday all to yourself. Then, let's not forget ANZAC Day on 25 April, giving you two public holidays in the month to play with.
Liking the sound of that? Then you'll need somewhere to go. Or two places to go (one for each public holiday, geddit?).
Here are a few suggestions we prepared earlier...
1. Best budget destination: Maldives
Kiss heaven when you take your budget to the beautiful islands of Maldives.
In the past you would have to pay through the nose to travel to the luxurious island destination of the Maldives but ever since budget airline AirAsia started taking to its shores fares have plummeted. These days it's possible to find flights for $429 return. If you're seeking to relax on a budget, April is an optimal time for it as it's shoulder season so the resorts won't be overpriced and the fares, well, you just need to catch a good sale and away you go.
- April weather: 29℃, dry season.
- Top April events: None.
- Best for: Relaxation, water sports, romance.
2. Best city to visit: Perth
Perth is trumping Sydney and Melbourne for clear skies and warm-hot temperatures this April.
While wild and unpredictable weather is raging across Australia's eastern coast, one of the few major cities in Australia that's being bathed in perpetual sunshine is Perth.
Being autumn, the temperatures in Perth have dropped considerably, rarely peaking over 30℃ and with low humidity. If you're bringing the family for the Easter break, there are plenty of Easter egg hunts to join in as well as free flicks in the park.
- April weather: 25–31℃, dry with low humidity.
- Top April events: Australian Film Season, Buddha's Birthday and Multicultural Festival, First Comes Love Fair.
- Best for: City breaks, exploration.
3. Best for relaxation: Japan
Witness magic happen as Japan is bathed in the brilliant pink glow of the sakura tree.
Fondly known as cherry blossoms, the blooming of the sakura trees is one of the most breathtaking moments in Japan’s calendar. The first blooms occur in late March with full blooms starting in early April. Throughout the month there are also plenty of celebrations including an annual geisha performance and a phallic festival. Yes, a phallic festival.
- April weather: -4–13℃ depending on which part of the country you are visiting, spring.
- Top April events: Miyako Odori, the opening of the Tateyama Kurobe Alpine Route, Inuyama Festival, Takayama Spring Festival, Kanamara Matsuri and Earth Day Tokyo.
- Best for: Romance, unwinding.
4. Best events: Semana Santa and Feria de Abril in Seville
Turn to the Spanish city of Seville for a different kind of Easter celebration.
Buckets of sunshine and an addictively sweet smell of oranges isn’t Seville’s only drawcard. During Easter it hosts one of the most unusual Christian celebrations in the world. Called Semana Santa, revellers dress in Nazareno robes, sandals and cone-shaped capirote hats and march alongside elaborate floats decorated with 17th century icons.
Stay an extra fortnight and you can dance, sing, drink and party at the annual Feria de Abril Seville Fair, too.
- April weather: 18℃, spring.
- Top April events: Semana Santa and Feria de Abril.
- Best for: Culture, unwinding, exploration.
5. Best surprise destination: Greece
Bask under the Mediterranean sun as it emerges from the depths of winter.
When you think of the Mediterranean, summer might be the first season on your mind but from March onward the sleepy islands rub their eyes and open their doors to early visitors. Being in the Mediterranean, Greece welcomes warmth fairly early and with less tourists to push through you won't feel the sticky sweat of the bustling streets this month.
- April weather: 19-23℃, spring.
- Top April events: Treasures from the Shanghai Museum.
- Best for: Relaxation, water sports, culture.
Follow the festival: Top April events to attend
- Easter: Practically every Christian-based nation will be celebrating Easter in some way, shape or form this month. If you'd prefer to avoid the masses (and the venue closures) choose a country that doesn’t celebrate Easter such as Japan, South Korea or Morocco.
- New Year: Some countries and religions celebrate their new year in April. These include Nepal, Thailand, Assyria, Bangladesh and many Indian states such as Manipuri and Bengal. As to be expected, celebrations are rife during this time.
When is the best time in April to take a holiday?
As April is the turn of a season, many countries enjoy either spring or autumn at the time so it’s a beautiful time of year to visit them.
In 2018, the Easter holidays fall between 30 March and 2 April, which means you won’t be alone on your travels if you choose this weekend to go on holiday. It also means prices soar around these dates. Are you on a budget or prefer to avoid the crowds? Choose to holiday after the first week of April instead.
On the flipside, many cities host incredible festivities at Easter, which could be exactly what you’re after.
- Cheap Travel Deals of the Week: AirAsia, Accor, DiDi, Skydive Australia
- Cheap Flights of the Week: Hong Kong, Europe and anywhere with AirAsia
- Best places to cruise in November
- Cheap Travel Deals of the Week: Jetstar, P&O Cruises, Hamilton Island
- Cheap Flights of the Week: Europe, South Pacific and Canada