Best places to travel to in November
Our hit picks on where to visit this November
Updated . What changed?
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
The weather is heating up and if you're after a cheeky pre-Christmas trip, November is the month to do it.
Not only is it one of the cheapest months in the year to travel, it's also blessed with brilliant weather throughout Australia.
We've talked enough, now onto the destinations.
Before you book, know where you can and can't travel, as well as any quarantine or entry pass requirements, using our domestic travel restrictions guide.
5 best places to visit in November in Australia
1. Best city to visit: Perth and its surrounds
The weather hasn't quite peaked in Perth yet and the wildflowers are still blooming, making Western Australia a choice pick of the mix.
November also welcomes the Margaret River Gourmet Escape festival where wine and food royalty arrive in droves to share their passion for glorious grub. This is cancelled for 2020 but is a good one to keep on your radar for 2021.
- November weather: 21-28°C, spring
- Top November events: Margaret River Gourmet Escape (cancelled 2020), spring racing and Fremantle BeerFest (13-15 November).
2. Best for events: Melbourne
Yes, Melbourne is still closed to all other states and territories due to COVID-19, but now that there's more freedom in the city you can travel around for leisure.
And what better excuse than to catch the race that stops the nation? Home of the famous Melbourne Cup, you'll want to be in town for the carnival on 3 November.
It's airing live on TV so dress your best and watch with your mates as you celebrate this event. And public holiday.
- November weather: 15-26℃, autumn
- Top November events: Melbourne Cup (3 November), Melbourne Music Week (moved to start on 9 December for 2020 only) and Night Noodle Markets (at-home event only in 2020).
3. Best for budgets: Top End
We know what you're thinking: the Northern Territory ain't cheap. But hear us out. From 1 October 2020 to 31 March 2021 the state is having a massive summer sale. That's up to $1,000 off holiday packages booked through participating travel agents. This includes Flight Centre, NT Now and Viva Holidays.
- November weather: 25-34°C, spring
- Top November events: Darwin International Laksa Festival (26 October - 29 November).
4. Best for beaches: Hamilton Island and the Whitsundays
The Whitsundays is always a great idea and now that borders have opened up with most of Australia, that much-anticipated romantic beach getaway is within reach. November is a quieter season as school hasn't broken yet so you can expect more beach space to work on your tan.
- November weather: 22-28°C, spring
- Top November events: None
5. Best surprise destination: Hobart and Port Arthur
Summer and Tassie are the perfect combination. But if you want to avoid the busy season (AKA Christmas), popping by the island in November will do the trick. According to Camplify, hitting the road in November can save you almost 50% off van hires. So get in the car and drive east from Hobart to the historic site of Port Arthur and while you're there take on any number of hiking trails in the nearby Tasman National Park.
- November weather: 10-19°C, spring
- Top November events: City of Hobart Floral Shows (6-7 November)
The best of the rest
Saving up for a big trip? Keep these in mind when booking your 2021 November break. All events mentioned are typically held in November though in 2020 some may be cancelled.
Best places to visit in Europe in November
- Santorini, Greece. While it might not be the warmest time of the year, Santorini is undoubtedly one of the last islands that's still pleasant for a visit. November is ideal for exploring its sights, views, wineries and food.
- Iceland. Another classic spot to tick the Northern Lights off your bucket list. Aurora views are best on cold, clear nights with low precipitation and November offers high chances of a sighting.
- Rome, Italy. You've got the Feast of Saint Cecilia and All Saints Day in November to experience Italian culture. Music lovers will also enjoy the Roma Jazz Festival and the start of opera season.
Best places to visit in Asia in November
- Seoul, South Korea. The weather is mild, autumn flavours are rich and exciting and you've got your pick of some of the biggest festivals of the year in November. Catch the end of the cosmos bloom, challenge your fortune and try the infamous fugu, and marvel at all the colours at the Seoul Lantern Festival.
- Myanmar. November marks the end of the monsoon season and you can explore the country with a backdrop of lush green foliage and cascading waterfalls. Make sure to visit during one of the hot air balloon festivals held throughout the month.
- Luang Prabang, Laos. It's the start of the dry season with pleasant average temperatures but the tourists have yet to descend so you'll get to enjoy this beautiful UNESCO World Heritage Site at an ideal time.
Best places to visit in the US in November
- Arizona. Mild temperatures, fewer crowds and heaps of activities make the Grand Canyon state a delight to visit in November. Head to Tucson for the All Souls Procession Weekend, to Scottsdale for 10 days of fun at Canal Convergence or take in the views of the Grand Canyon with space to breathe.
- Hawaii. With the exception of Thanksgiving week, November is the quietest month to visit the islands. Prices also take a huge plunge so if you're okay with the chance of occasional showers, this could be a great bargain getaway.
- Virginia. Don't let the season pass by without catching a final glimpse of the fall foliage. Central and Eastern Virginia make it last until at least mid-November and a road trip on the Blue Ridge Parkway offers some of the best views.
Best places to visit in Japan in November
- Tokyo. November in Japan is all about seeing the autumn leaves and Tokyo has more than its fair share of tranquil viewing opportunities. Head to a zen garden, have a picnic in Yoyogi Park and make sure to stop in at the Jingu Gaien Ginkgo Festival.
- Izumo. Home to Izumo Grand Shrine, Japan's oldest Shinto shrine, Izumo hosts the Kamiari Festival when all of Japan's deities assemble at the shrine once a year.
- Iya Valley. If you'd like to get off the beaten track a bit, this autumn beauty is tucked away amongst untamed rugged rocky gorges. The valley crevasses are adorned with brilliant reds, oranges and gold making it definitely worth the journey.
Best places to visit in Thailand in November
- Chiang Mai. The rainy season is over and the weather is perfect to get outdoors and adventure in November. Time it right and you'll get to experience all the excitement and decorations leading up to one of Thailand's biggest festivals, Loy Krathong.
- Kanchanaburi. Best known for the Death Railway built during World War II, Kanchanaburi is more than just a destination for history buffs. Spend some more time to explore its waterfalls, ruins, caves, jungles, temples and lakes.
- Koh Chang. If you're looking for some beach time, it's tough to look past Koh Chang which offers a slew of beautiful and relatively uncrowded beaches along with enough activities to fill your time off the beach towel.
Best places to visit in Scotland in November
- Edinburgh. Autumn foliage can still be found at the start of the month and the calendar is filled with events such as Edinburgh's Christmas and St Andrew's Day.
- Oban. The Oban Winter Festival is one of the highlights of the season with a variety of fun events including the Distillery Market, Haggis Festival and the Grand Ceilidh with Oban Pipe Band.
- Cairngorms National Park. Witness one of nature's most spectacular phenomena when Scotland's largest land mammal, the red deer, rut in a noisy clash of antlers and roars that can be heard from long distances.
Best places to visit in Canada in November
- Montreal. If you're looking for festivals, this is the place to be. You've got Montreal's Restaurant Week at the start of the month, multiple film festivals throughout and the unofficial start of the Christmas season with the lighting of Place Ville-Marie Christmas tree.
- Churchill. Wildlife lovers looking for the best chance to observe polar bears in the wild should make a beeline for Manitoba when the bears move from their summer habitat on the tundra back to seal-hunting territory.
- Whistler. Foodies and film buffs alike converge on Whistler every year when food and drink festival Cornucopia and Whistler Film Festival both take centre stage and opening day diehards wait for ski season to begin.
More guides on Finder
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
Today's best Finder Daily deals include: 50% off car essentials at Catch, half-price meat thermometers, eBay Plus tech sale.
Best carpet shampooers in Australia
We compared hundreds of customer reviews and found the five best carpet shampooers you can buy online in Australia.
Best bike lights in Australia
These are the six best bike lights you can buy in Australia right now.
Best PS4 headsets in Australia
These are the best PS4 headsets you can get your hands on right now in Australia.
Best toys for 1-year-olds in Australia
These are the 7 best toys you can buy for 1-year-olds in Australia.
Best moisturiser for dry skin in Australia
From the best overall face moisturiser for dry skin to the best body moisturiser, hand moisturiser and tinted moisturiser for dry skin, these are the best 7 moisturisers for dry skin you can buy in Australia right now.
Best setting powders in Australia
These are the eight best setting powders in Australia right now.
Best eyebrow pencils in Australia
We've found seven of the best eyebrow pencils in Australia right now.
Best cold press juicers in Australia
We read hundreds of customer reviews to find the best cold press juicers you can buy online and in-store in Australia.
Best LEGO sets in Australia
These are the 10 best LEGO models you can buy right now in Australia.
Get more from Finder
Ask an Expert