Best places to travel to in November 2017
Our hit picks on where to visit this November.
The weather is heating up and if you're after a cheeky pre-Christmas trip, November is the month to do it.
Not only is it one of the cheapest months in the year to travel, it's also blessed with brilliant weather throughout Australia and its neighbouring islands.
If you're eyeing travel further abroad, Europe and the US offer low-season prices and a few hot celebratory dates like Guy Fawkes Bonfire Night and Thanksgiving.
We've talked enough, now onto the destinations.
5 best places to visit in November
1. Best budget destination: Paris
Sounds like an odd budget destination but last-minute flights to Paris for November have been cropping up starting at $843 return on full-service airlines. Yup, $843 RETURN.
These sale fares will probably grow thin the further into November you go, but for an entry into Europe they're some of the cheapest and best options around right now.
- November weather: 5-9℃, autumn
- Top November events: ATP World Tour Masters (30 October - 5 November), Disneyland Paris Bonfire Spectacular (6, 8 and 10 November), Armistice Day (11 November) and Salon Du Cheval (25 November - 3 December).
2. Best city to visit: Malaysia
Whether you're visiting Malaysia's lowlands, highlands or west coast, you'll be graced with clearing skies in November as the rainy season is ending.
These areas encompass the country's capital, Kuala Lumpur as well as the Cameron Highlands, Malacca, Langkawi, Penang and Pangkor.
Unfortunately, November is wet season for the east coast, so steer clear of the Tioman Island, Perhentian Islands and Redang.
- November weather:21-32℃, end of monsoon season
- Top November events: KL Biennale (1 November - 31 March), 1Malaysia Year End sale (1 November - 31 December), Sri Aman Tidal Bore Festival (3-5 November), Celebrating the Triumph of Good Over Evil (11 November), Ironman Malaysia Langkawi (11 November).
3. Best for beaches: Maldives
Maldives is the epitome of beach holidays but it is plagued with wet and dry seasons that you need to manipulate to work in your favour.
For minimal rainfall, warm weather and off-peak prices, November is one of the best months to hit up the islands. Admittedly there may still be some rainy spells, but you'll miss the brunt of December holiday makers and sky-high prices this way.
- November weather:29℃, dry season
- Top November events: None
4. Best for events: Melbourne
If we had to bet on one city to stop the nation this month, it has to be Melbourne. Home of the famous Melbourne Cup, you'll want to be in town for the carnival on 7 November.
Haven't bought your ticket yet? One of the easiest and bargain ways of getting to the track is via cruise. These depart from Sydney and Brisbane and include transport, accommodation and tickets to the race.
Alternatively, you can always just fly in for the atmosphere.
- November weather: 15-26℃, autumn
- Top November events: Melbourne Cup (7 November), Melbourne Music Week (17-25 November), Cirque du Soleil Toruk (2-12 November), International Festival of Hockey (8-12 November), Creamfields (26 November).
5. Best surprise destination: Lapland
In a recent survey, millennials remarked that top of their bucket lists was to catch the spectacular light show that is the Northern or Southern lights. And when November rolls around, one of the best locations for that is Finnish Lapland.
Stretching deep into the Arctic Circle, it's a magical world of snow capped land, reindeers and charming villages. It's also the home of Santa Claus, who yes, you can visit while you're in the area, too.
Tick it off this month and live with no regrets.
- November weather: -2-1℃
- Top November events: None