Best places to travel to in November 2018
Our hit picks on where to visit this November.
The weather is heating up and if you're after a cheeky pre-Christmas trip, November is the month to do it.
Not only is it one of the cheapest months in the year to travel, it's also blessed with brilliant weather throughout Australia and its neighbouring islands.
We've talked enough, now onto the destinations.
5 best places to visit in November
1. Best budget destination: Hong Kong
Flights to Hong Kong are getting extremely cheap these days, and you can get in and out for under $500. Not bad, particularly when you consider November is one of the best months to visit as it's dry season and low-season being housed between Golden Week (October) and Chinese New Year (February).
- November weather: 19-24℃, dry season
- Top November events: Hong Kong International Comedy Festival, Japan Autumn Festival in Hong Kong, Arts in the Park, German Bierfest and Hong Kong Open (golf).
2. Best city to visit: Perth and its surrounds
The weather hasn't quite peaked in Perth yet and the wildflowers are still blooming, making Western Australia a choice pick of the mix. November also welcomes the Margaret River Gourmet Escape festival where wine and food royalty arrive in droves to share their passion for glorious grub.
- November weather: 21-28°C, spring
- Top November events: Margaret River Gourmet Escape (15-18 November), Spring Day at the Races (3 November), Fremantle BeerFest (9 November), Bonjour Perth Festival (10 November) and Sets on the Beach (24 November)
3. Best for beaches: Maldives
Maldives is the epitome of beach holidays, but it is plagued with wet and dry seasons that you need to manipulate to work in your favour.
For minimal rainfall, warm weather and off-peak prices, November is one of the best months to hit up the islands. Admittedly, there may still be some rainy spells, but you'll miss the brunt of December holiday makers and sky-high prices this way.
- November weather: 24-29℃, dry season
- Top November events: None
4. Best for events: Melbourne
If we had to bet on one city to stop the nation this month, it has to be Melbourne. Home of the famous Melbourne Cup, you'll want to be in town for the carnival on 6 November.
Haven't bought your ticket yet? One of the easiest and cheapest ways of getting to the track is via cruise. These depart from Sydney and Brisbane and include transport, accommodation and tickets to the race.
Alternatively, you can always just fly in for the atmosphere.
- November weather: 15-26℃, autumn
- Top November events: Melbourne Cup (6 November), Melbourne Music Week (16-24 November), International Festival of Hockey (3-10 November), Korea Week Festival (10-11 November), Night Noodle Markets (8-25 November) and Cadbury Christmas Twilight Concert (22 November).
5. Best surprise destination: Lapland
Last year, millennials remarked that top of their bucket lists was to catch the spectacular light show that is the Northern or Southern lights. And when November rolls around, one of the best locations for that is Finnish Lapland.
Stretching deep into the Arctic Circle, it's a magical world of snow-covered land, reindeer and charming villages. It's also the home of Santa Claus, who yes, you can visit while you're in the area, too.
Tick it off this month and live with no regrets.
- November weather: -2-1℃
- Top November events: Snowmobile Fair (3-4 November) and The Grand Opening of the Christmas Season 2018 (17 November).