Best places to travel in February
4 Australian holiday destinations for anyone suffering from those holiday blues.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
With the Christmas holidays over and the kids back in school, you may be feeling like you need a break from your break.
We know the feeling.
Steal away for the weekend (or longer) and recharge those batteries at these fantastic spots. Not only is a February trip quieter than a January jetset, it's also the perfect time to add a touch of romance with Valentine's Day falling on the 14th.
Need ideas? We've got a few.
Best places to travel in February
Best budget destination: Gold Coast
Catch those last days of summer in the Sunshine State.
Basking in some 245 days of sunshine and boasting over 30 golden beaches, the Gold Coast is one of your best options for a relaxing beach getaway or romantic sunrise – whatever time of year you plan to visit.
By February, the water babies have moved off leaving you with enough space on the beach to put down your towel and then some.
Aim to be on the beach early February though as the rains start to fall closer to March.
- February weather: 21–28℃, summer.
- Top February events: Night Markets at NightQuarter, Pedal Cars @ Broadwater Parklands, Chinese New Year Celebration and the The Lights Water Fest.
- Best for: Unwinding, beach escapes, weekend breaks.
Best city to go to: Adelaide
Have you discovered "adelaide" yet?
South Australia's capital heats up in more ways than one in February. For starters, this is the city's hottest month, though if you play your dates right and travel later in the month you could relish in warm mid-20 degree weather. It's also a hub of arts and sporting activities with the Adelaide Fringe landing this month.
- February weather: 18-28℃, summer.
- Top February events: Adelaide Fringe, Brighton Jetty Classic, CBD & Vines Festival (TBC 2021).
- Best for: Food and wine escapes, weekend and city breaks.
Best local escape: Hobart
While the rest of the nation is sweating it out, Hobart's looking pleasantly warm this February.
Hobart has so much going for it this month it's not funny. Summers are mild with top temperatures of 17–26℃ throughout the month and while days are cloudy, the chance of rainfall is minimal. For those searching out that perfect Valentine's getaway, it's also the type of destination that can be experienced over a short weekend so you can surprise her with a trip without cashing in on your annual leave.
- February weather: 17–26℃, summer.
- Top February events: Festivale, Australian Wooden Boat Festival Parade of Sail and Evandale Village Fair (cancelled for 2021).
- Best for: Unwinding, weekend breaks, wineries.
Best for events: Sydney
Colour your February at the Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras.
From 19 February until 7 March 2020 Australia's largest city will be overrun with song, dance and celebration as the Mardi Gras comes to town.
If you can only be in town for a short period, see if you can delay your plans until 6 March 2021 for the iconic parade and party.
Don't forget your sparkles.
- February weather: 19–26℃, autumn.
- Other events: Lunar New Year, The Rocks Art Trail, Mov'In Boat, The Garden Social at the Royal Botanic Gardens Sydney, The Lights Water Fest (TBC 2021).
- Best for: Culture, shopping, city break.
Bonus destination: Auckland
Cross the ditch to the home of Hobbits, wineries and adventure for a thrilling start to the year.
Borders are still closed for Aussies into New Zealand but things are looking mighty bright for them to open in the near future. So whether they open in February, March, April or a smidgen later, it'd be a crime to give this destination a miss. Alternatively, keep this one on file for next February.
Not only is the flight short, it is also a great place to chill with a wine in hand and your other half by your side or to push your adrenaline limits with some extreme sports. February is the beginning of harvest so you can catch the grapes on the vines and watch pickers at work.
- February weather: 17–24℃, summer.
- Top February events: Chinese New Year, Lantern Festival, Fringe Festival, Friends from Around the World Open Air Festival and music festivals, including Shipwrecked Festival.
- Best for: Adventure, romance, unwinding, road trips.
When is the best time in February to take a holiday?
February is low season for many destinations as it's outside the December/January holiday season.
That being said, large celebrations such as Valentine's Day and Chinese/Lunar New Year tend to occur in February, so if you'd prefer to avoid the crowds and peak prices, give these cities a miss or drop in outside the event dates.
What's on in Australia in February?
Events, events, events. Even if you're not headed anywhere but around your own city this February these events and festivities are bound to keep you busy.
- Valentine's Day - 14 February: The most loved up day of the year and one where romantics can capitalise one. Scope out our Valentine's Day guide if you're stuck for ideas.
The best of the rest:
Australia currently has an international travel ban. This means you won't be able to visit these destinations for leisure in February 2021. However, if you're dreaming of getting out, these are great as inspiration for future trips.
Best places to visit in February in Europe
- Venice, Italy. February is Carnival time when you can expect three weeks of masked debauchery, Baroque costumes, extravagant balls, sinful sweets and general overindulgence. Even if you've been before, you've never seen Venice like this and it's definitely worth a re-visit.
- St Petersburg, Russia. If you're willing to rug up a bit, St Petersburg offers up some truly beautiful winter scenery in February minus the hordes of tourists. Join the locals outside for ice-skating or in the much warmer bathhouses. Make sure you're there in the last week of the month for Maslenitsa, famous for its blini (pancakes), singing, dancing and bonfires.
- Canary Islands, Spain. Looking for some sun? Make a beeline for this Spanish archipelago which boasts highs of 22°C and nine hours of sun a day. The islands have also got their fair share of festivals this month including Carnival and a festival to celebrate the coming of spring and the blossoming of the almond trees.
Best places to go in Japan in February
- Hokkaido. If you're looking for some winter fun, then Hokkaido is an obvious choice. Besides the varied selection of snow sports, you'll also get to enjoy the largest winter festival in Japan, the Sapporo Snow Festival (pictured). Expect snow and ice sculptures, bob sliding and heaps of amazing street food and drinks. Further north is Asahikawa with its adorable show of marching penguins.
- Okinawa. Believe it or not, cherry blossoms actually reach their peak in early to mid-February in the south of Japan. Time it right and not only will you get to enjoy gorgeous spring-time temperatures but also see these beauties in full bloom.
- Gero. Located on rich underground currents of thermal waters, Gero is best known for its onsens (hot springs) and one of the best experiences is to soak up all that warm mineral goodness in an open-air onsen during winter.
Best places to visit in Thailand in February
- Ko Chang (pictured). If you're looking to avoid the crowds then Ko Chang is a pretty safe bet. Its peak season has passed so prices will start to get back to normal. It takes a bit of effort to get here but once you do you'll be rewarded with jungle-covered peaks and sweeping bays.
- Bangkok. This will be your last really cool month until winter comes around again so it's time to get outdoors and get sightseeing. If you're into hiking, schedule in time to venture outside of the city and visit Khao Sam Lan National Park and Khao Yai National Park.
- Kro Kradan. This small island is thought by many to have one of the most beautiful beaches in Thailand. It's ideal for travellers who want to just get away from it all for a few days of sun, sand and sea as there is neither village nor road here. Just a spattering of accommodation options and the Haad Chao Mai National Park that covers most of the island.
Best places to visit in Vietnam in February
- Hanoi. A vibrant capital city with mouthwatering cuisine options, Hanoi's weather in February is mild and comfortable, perfect for sightseeing. Take a day trip to nearby Lim Hill for the annual Lim Festival, when traditional songs are performed from boats and the Lim Pagoda.
- Hoi An (pictured). Enjoying relatively warm weather compared to further north, this ancient town is a delight in February. Head to a nearby beach for some sunbathing, indulge in some shrimp dumplings and wander through the grand architecture, tea houses and Chinese temples.
- Phu Quoc Island. For those looking for that postcard-perfect island getaway in Vietnam, Phu Quoc offers soft, white-sand beaches, low humidity and an average temperature of 27.5°C in February.
More guides on Finder
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
Today's best Finder Daily deals include: $1,250 off electric bikes, $70 off Nintendo Switch, $30 off Logitech G PRO X Lightspeed headsets.
Best iPhone 12 Pro cases in Australia
Keep your new tech protected with one of the best iPhone 12 Pro cases available right here in Australia.
10 best camping chairs in Australia 2021
Find the best camping chair for holidays, hiking, festivals, 4WDing, fishing and more.
Best Chromebooks in Australia
Work, learn and play with one of the best Chromebooks you can get your hands on in Australia right now.
Best dog harnesses in Australia
From the best harness for car rides to the top model for puppies, we've found the six best dog harnesses available online.
Best bed sheets in Australia
From the best sheets for summer to the most luxurious threads, these are the 7 best bed sheets you can get in Australia right now.
Best shower curtains in Australia
We’ve found the six best shower curtains you can get in Australia right now.
Best lawn fertilisers in Australia
These are the six best lawn fertilisers you can buy right now in Australia.
Best cat litter in Australia
These are the six best cat litters you can buy right now in Australia.
Best pillow and cushion inserts in Australia
We’ve found the seven best pillow and cushion inserts you can buy in Australia right now.
Ask an Expert