Best places to travel in February 2019
5 holiday destinations to extend your summer break.
The last vestiges of summer are upon us and for those of us not quite ready to say farewell to the summer holidays, you've plenty of places to go where the sun shines in February.
Say, for example these five hot destinations.
For romantics, we've thrown in a few luxe getaways to share with your loved one on Valentine's Day 14 February, while for festival fiends we've also thrown in a few popular places to celebrate Chinese New Year.
Best places to travel in February
Best budget destination: Gold Coast
Catch those last days of summer in the Sunshine State.
Basking in some 245 days of sunshine and boasting over 30 golden beaches, the Gold Coast is one of your best options for a relaxing beach getaway or romantic sunrise – whatever time of year you plan to visit.
By February, the water babies have moved off leaving you with enough space on the beach to put down your towel and then some.
Aim to be on the beach early February though as the rains start to fall closer to March.
- February weather: 21–28℃, summer.
- Top February events: Night Markets at NighQuarter, Sand Safari Arts Festival, Chinese New Year Celebration and the Gold Coast Triathlon.
- Best for: Unwinding, beach escapes, weekend breaks.
Best city to go to: Adelaide
Have you discovered "Radelaide" yet?
South Australia's capital heats up in more ways than one in February. For starters, this is the city's hottest month, though if you play your dates right and travel later in the month you could relish in warm mid-20 degree weather. It's also a hub of arts and sporting activities with the Adelaide Fringe landing this month as well as Adelaide United playing on home ground early in the month.
- February weather: 18-28℃, summer.
- Top February events: Adelaide Fringe, Brighton Jetty Classic, CBD and Vines Festival.
- Best for: Food and wine escapes, weekend and city breaks.
Best for a cool escape: Japan
Snow bunnies, prepare to kick up some of the most pristine powder in the world.
February is peak ski season in Japan and if you can't wait until mid-year to shred the slopes on our side of the world, Japan is your next best option.
With budget airlines such as Jetstar offering cheap seats to Tokyo you can have your pick of the nearby fields such as Nozawa Onsen and Shiga Kogen or branch further with an internal flight to Sapporo to explore Niseko and Furano.
- February weather: 5-12℃ (Tokyo), winter.
- Top February events: Bean Throwing Festival, World Valentine Festival, winter illuminations, Sapporo Snow Festival, Otaru Snow Light Path Festival and Chinese New Year.
- Best for: Snow trips, culture.
Best for events: Hong Kong
Celebrate the lunar new year in style.
You'll discover Chinese New Year celebrations throughout the Asian continent, though for one of the most spectacular events to mark the date a trip to Hong Kong cannot go amiss.
Every year Hong Kong promises a showstopping celebration of fireworks displays, night parades and wishing trees. Get amongst it.
- February weather: 14–19℃, winter.
- Top February events: Chinese New Year.
- Best for: Culture, shopping, city break.
Best surprise destination: Auckland
Cross the ditch to the home of Hobbits, wineries and adventure for a thrilling start to the year.
New Zealand is so close, it'd be a crime to give this destination a miss. Not only is the flight short with sale fares cropping up constantly, it is also a great place to chill with a wine in hand and your other half by your side or to push your adrenaline limits with some extreme sports. This month is the beginning of harvest so you can catch the grapes on the vines and watch pickers at work.
- February weather: 17–24℃, summer.
- Top February events: Chinese New Year, Auckland Festival, Fringe Festival, Friends from Around the World Open Air Festival and music festivals.
- Best for: Adventure, romance, unwinding, road trips.
When is the best time in February to take a holiday?
February is low season for many destinations as it's outside the December/January holiday season.
That being said, large celebrations such as Valentine's Day and Chinese New Year tend to occur in February, so if you'd prefer to avoid the crowds and peak prices, give these cities a miss or drop in outside the event dates.
What's on in Australia in February?
Events, events, events. Even if you're not headed anywhere but around your own city this February these events and festivities are bound to keep you busy.
- Lunar New Year - 5 February 2019: Major cities around the world will be celebrating the Lunar New Year with dance, song, food and firecrackers. Asia is the best place to go for this but if you're sticking around Australia most major cities will be celebrating this week.
- Valentine's Day - 14 February 2019: The most loved up day of the year and one where romantics can capitalise one. Scope out our Valentine's Day guide if you're stuck for ideas.
- Singapore Social - 20-24 February 2019: A taste of Singapore comes to Sydney and Melbourne at The Rooftop and The Albion Rooftop, respectively. Think Singapore-inspired cocktails and curated meals by Masterchef's Sashi Cheliah to transport you to the Lion City. See details here.
Where else is popular to visit in February 2019?
February might be low season but Australians aren't ones to rest on our laurels. Many of us are spending the month overseas, particularly in Bali, Tokyo and New Delhi according to bookings made through Skyscanner for the month.
Locally, most people are flying either to Melbourne or Sydney. This is no surprise as they're both big cities and a popular business route.
Here's the top five destinations from Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, Brisbane, Gold Coast and Perth for February, according to Skyscanner - and the average price an adult is paying for a return economy seat on them.
|Origin city||Destination city||Average seat price (return)|
- The best Australian autumn destinations to add to your list from March to May
- Cheap Travel Deals of the Week: China, Groupon, RedBalloon and Flight Centre
- 6 alternative romantic destinations to get some alone time
- Top Easter destinations that won’t break the bank, revealed
- Cheap Travel Deals of the Week: Jetstar, AirAsia, RedBalloon