Best places to cruise in October
Cruising season is heating up - so where should you be setting sail for this month?
October marks the start of the Australian cruising season. It's a time when some of the world's top luxury liners reposition themselves to dock into our ports and call Australia home.
Being peak season, the number of cruises setting sail from our shores increases dramatically. With so many options at your fingertips, we've shortlisted the best places to cruise to in October to help you live the cruise-life stress-free. That is, the way it should be.
Top 4 places to cruise in October
1. New Caledonia
A perennial favourite with Australian cruisers seeking sunny, romantic and relaxing shores, New Caledonia cruises often call in at Noumea, Isle of Pines, Mare and Lifou and take 8-16 days.
- Departures from: Brisbane and Sydney
- Why October? This is low season for New Caledonia as it's the end of winter - which is not to say that it's unpleasant or cold. With its semi-tropical climate even in October the weather remains warm and the rain and humidity low. As it's the beginning of the season, you'll also find numerous discounted rooms, particularly on last-minute sails.
2. Whitsundays and Hamilton Island
Queensland's piece of paradise is good to visit year-round, and with more ships headed to Whitsundays and Hamilton Island, October is as good a time as any to make the journey. Short (4-day) and longer (10-night) cruises are available.
- Departures from: Brisbane
- Why October? Hamilton Island and the Whitsundays are ideal for romantic getaways and family breaks. The long-weekend and the end of the school holidays makes it a short and affordable escape.
The end of the Mediterranean cruising season boasts sails as short as one night and as long as one month.
Most cruises from Australia to the Mediterranean depart from February to July, so you'll have to fly into Europe and join a localised cruise if you want to sail in October.
- Departures from: Dubrovnik, Marseille, Athens, Nice, Genoa, Venice, Valletta, Monaco, Lisbon, Malaga and Southampton are the major departure ports.
- Why October? Being end of-season, October brings with it fewer cruisers and the potential for last-minute discounts without sacrificing on the sunny skies.
4. Australian sample cruises
Pop that cruising cherry or set sail on a weekend break with a sample cruise either in open water or to another Australian city. Possible itineraries are Brisbane to Whitsundays return (4-nights), Sydney sampler return (2-nights) and Sydney to Moreton Island return (4-nights).
- Departures from: Brisbane, Sydney, Perth and Cairns.
- Why October? October teems with sample cruises from Australia's main ports. As it's the beginning of the season, they also work a treat in warming you up for a longer cruise later on.