Best places to cruise in May
Set sail to the best cruise spots of the season and beat the crowds.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
- While now is not the right time to travel, these cruise destinations can inspire your future travel plans.
Spring is almost over in the Northern Hemisphere meaning the peak summer season will soon begin, bringing hoards of sun-loving vacationers to the most popular ports.
Our list of the best places to cruise in May will have you taking advantage of pleasant weather conditions and enjoying your holiday without having to fight for a deck chair.
Top 4 places to cruise in May
1. Rhine River
Take in the history of Europe while enjoying the scenic flowers of spring.
A trip along Europe's longest river offers an exciting contrast day by day. Float past ancient castles and lush vineyards, navigate the winding streets of sleepy medieval villages and explore bustling modern cities like Cologne and Basel.
- Departures from: Amsterdam, Basel and Cologne are popular starting points.
- Why May? You’ll avoid the hot summer months and enjoy exploring the ports in the more temperate spring weather with the chance of seeing Dutch tulips in bloom.
Splash into the ultimate tropical playground with a new island to explore every day.
For many people, a cruise to the Caribbean Islands is a dream come true and for good reason.
The lively and friendly locals, waters every shade of blue, colonial history and mouth-watering food a just a taste of what you can find, not to mention beaches to rival our own.
- Departures from: Most departures are from the East Coast of the US including Baltimore, Miami, Fort Lauderdale, New York and New Orleans.
- Why May? May offers some of the warmest water for swimming and snorkelling and is the last month before the hurricane season officially begins.
Avoid the holiday crowds and see China as you’ve never before.
Often overlooked for its more southern neighbours, a cruise to China can pack a punch when it comes to landscape, culture and historical sites.
You’ll also have a slew of ports to choose from including the bigger cities like Xiamen, Hong Kong, Beijing and Shanghai and the option to cruise along one of China’s rivers like the Yangtze.
- Departures from: Longer one-way cruises depart from Sydney, Brisbane and Auckland or you can opt for a starting point in China to make the most of your sightseeing.
- Why May? Spring offers pleasant temperatures throughout most of the country and travelling during May also means you’ll avoid the major school holiday breaks.
Eat, explore and enjoy long lazy beach days.
Considered the world’s top cruising destination, the Mediterranean can sometimes be over-loved and crowded.
Take our advice and visit in the shoulder season where you can still enjoy a warm, sunny climate with much smaller crowds.
- Departures from: Brisbane.
- Why May? May is ideal for both Western and Eastern Mediterranean cruise itineraries for pleasant weather before the peak season begins in June.
More guides on Finder
Best bassinets in Australia
These are the 8 best bassinets you can buy right now in Australia.
Best nappy bags in Australia
These are the 9 best nappy bags you can buy right now in Australia.
Best booster seats in Australia
These are the 6 best booster seats you can buy right now in Australia.
Best raincoats and rain jackets in Australia
We’ve found the nine best raincoats and rain jackets you can buy in Australia right now.
Xbox Series S: Where to buy in Australia
Xbox Series S is a lower-cost alternative to the Xbox Series X. Here's a list of stores where you can buy the console for the best price.
Perth hotels with spas in the room
Find out where you can enjoy your own spa bath with these Perth hotels.
Best baby changing tables in Australia
These are the six best baby changing tables you can buy right now in Australia.
Best SSDs in Australia
Speed up your system with one of the best SSDs you can buy right now in Australia.
Best camping stoves in Australia
We’ve done the hard work to help you find the best camping stoves you can buy right now.
9 best Nintendo Game Boy Advance games of all time
Nintendo’s Game Boy Advance is home to lots of superb ports and even more original games – but which games are the very best?
Ask an Expert