Best places to cruise in May
Set sail to the best cruise spots of the season and beat the crowds.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
- While now is not the right time to travel, these cruise destinations can inspire your 2021 travel plans.
Spring is almost over in the Northern Hemisphere meaning the peak summer season will soon begin, bringing hoards of sun-loving vacationers to the most popular ports.
Our list of the best places to cruise in May will have you taking advantage of pleasant weather conditions and enjoying your holiday without having to fight for a deck chair.
Top 4 places to cruise in May
1. Rhine River
Take in the history of Europe while enjoying the scenic flowers of spring.
A trip along Europe's longest river offers an exciting contrast day by day. Float past ancient castles and lush vineyards, navigate the winding streets of sleepy medieval villages and explore bustling modern cities like Cologne and Basel.
- Departures from: Amsterdam, Basel and Cologne are popular starting points.
- Why May? You’ll avoid the hot summer months and enjoy exploring the ports in the more temperate spring weather with the chance of seeing Dutch tulips in bloom.
Splash into the ultimate tropical playground with a new island to explore every day.
For many people, a cruise to the Caribbean Islands is a dream come true and for good reason.
The lively and friendly locals, waters every shade of blue, colonial history and mouth-watering food a just a taste of what you can find, not to mention beaches to rival our own.
- Departures from: Most departures are from the East Coast of the US including Baltimore, Miami, Fort Lauderdale, New York and New Orleans.
- Why May? May offers some of the warmest water for swimming and snorkelling and is the last month before the hurricane season officially begins.
Avoid the holiday crowds and see China as you’ve never before.
Often overlooked for its more southern neighbours, a cruise to China can pack a punch when it comes to landscape, culture and historical sites.
You’ll also have a slew of ports to choose from including the bigger cities like Xiamen, Hong Kong, Beijing and Shanghai and the option to cruise along one of China’s rivers like the Yangtze.
- Departures from: Longer one-way cruises depart from Sydney, Brisbane and Auckland or you can opt for a starting point in China to make the most of your sightseeing.
- Why May? Spring offers pleasant temperatures throughout most of the country and travelling during May also means you’ll avoid the major school holiday breaks.
Eat, explore and enjoy long lazy beach days.
Considered the world’s top cruising destination, the Mediterranean can sometimes be over-loved and crowded.
Take our advice and visit in the shoulder season where you can still enjoy a warm, sunny climate with much smaller crowds.
- Departures from: Brisbane.
- Why May? May is ideal for both Western and Eastern Mediterranean cruise itineraries for pleasant weather before the peak season begins in June.
More guides on Finder
Best controllers for PCs in Australia
These are the best PC controllers you can buy right now in Australia.
Best caravan parks on the Sunshine Coast
Discover more than just idyllic beaches and untouched national parks along the Sunshine Coast.
Best laser printers in Australia
We've found the seven best laser printers you can buy in Australia right now.
Best gaming monitors in Australia
These are the best gaming monitors you can buy right now in Australia.
Best caravan parks in Mannum
Find the best caravan parks in Mannum and explore the heart of the Murray River.
Best caravan parks in Kalbarri, Western Australia
Base yourself moments away from the West Coast’s Kalbarri National Park.
Best hiking tents in Australia
These are the seven best hiking tents you can buy right now in Australia.
Best 55-inch TVs in Australia
These are the best 55-inch TVs you can buy right now in Australia.
Best frozen vegetable brands in Australia
These are the 5 best frozen vegetable brands in Australia, as chosen by consumers.
Best rum in Australia
These are the six best rums you can buy right now in Australia.
Ask an Expert