Best places to cruise in March
Where to sail for the best weather and maximum adventure.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
While now may not be the right time to cruise, these destinations can inspire your future travel plans.
March is a changeover season for many parts of the world. In the northern hemisphere it's the end of the bitter cold and here in the south, we're getting ready to say goodbye to the heat of summer.
Our list covers the best places to consider for a cruise vacation with the best weather possible with no rain and maximum sunshine.
Top 5 places to cruise in March
1. Kangaroo Island
With the bushfires out it's time to start visiting impacted areas.
During the Australian bushfires, one of the worst hit destinations was Kangaroo Island. Now that the recovery process has started, if you've been putting a trip off then this is the time to go and support the local tourism trade.
- Departures from: Melbourne, Sydney and Adelaide.
- Why March? The cooler months draw in smaller crowds and wildlife is in easy view. Little penguins start to nest in March as well.
2. New Zealand
Winter is knocking on its door so it's time to see the last of the summer scenery.
The warmer months will soon be gone so March will be your last chance for those nature-based shore excursions.
While you won't see any snow, you'll be able to visit some of the most picturesque summer spots, like Hobbiton, Marlborough and the hot thermal springs of Rotorua.
- Departures from: Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide and Darwin.
- Why March? You should find lower prices now that the summer crowds have died off.
3. Los Angeles
Rub shoulders with A-listers in the City of Angels.
The second largest city in the USA is the hub for all things Hollywood. If you're feeling like some childlike fun, head to one of the big theme parks or if you want to soak in all the sights then just pick an area and explore on foot.
- Departures from: Vancouver or San Francisco.
- Why March? The rainy winter season is over and the air is less heavy with smog.
The big city that has a little something for everyone.
Melbourne is often called the cultural capital of Australia and for good reason. It's stylish, artsy and often the birthplace of hipster trends around the country.
You can choose to either do a roundtrip cruise or disembark in Melbourne to take in more of the sights before flying home.
- Departures from: Sydney, Adelaide, Brisbane and Perth.
- Why March? A slew of fun festivals happens in March with something to appeal to most. March is just after the city’s hottest and wettest months so you miss out on those sweltering Melbourne summers.
5. Great Barrier Reef
Snorkel, dive or swim the largest coral reef system in the world.
As the weather cools down there's one tourist attraction you can bet will stay warm this month: the Whitsundays. Known for its heaven-sent beaches and marine life, it's enjoyed by young and old, solo travellers or multi-generational families.
- Departures from: Most departures are from Sydney or Brisbane.
- Why March? March is still brilliantly warm with temperatures in the high 20s yet it's in between school holiday dates meaning it will be less crowded.
More guides on Finder
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
Today's best Finder Daily deals include: 55% off Lay-Z Inflatable Spas, $899 Macbook Air laptops, 36% off Nespresso coffee machines.
Best NAS devices in Australia
Upgrade your home storage with one of the best NAS devices available on store shelves here in Australia.
Best SSDs in Australia
Speed up your system with one of the best SSDs you can buy right now in Australia.
Best Chromebooks in Australia
Work, learn and play with one of the best Chromebooks you can get your hands on in Australia right now.
Best sleep masks in Australia
We've found the best sleep masks you can buy right now including light blocking, memory foam, cooling, silk and gel options.
Best Fitbit fitness trackers and smartwatches in Australia
Here are the top Fitbit devices you can get your hands on here in Australia.
Best computers in Australia
These are the 6 best computers you can buy right now in Australia.
Best ultrabooks in Australia
These are the best ultrabooks currently on the market here in Australia.
Best iPads in Australia
These are the six best iPads you can buy right now in Australia.
Best home security cameras in Australia
These are the best security camera systems you can get your hands on in Australia.
Ask an Expert