Best cruise destinations in August 2020
Winter's almost over. Here's where to go before the change in season.
Update on Australian spring destinations
Due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic cruises across Australia have been cancelled throughout winter.
If an announcement has been made, we'll update this page with any updated dates. Otherwise you can use this list as inspiration for future winter cruises.
August is your last opportunity to see some parts of the world before the cruising season ends for the year.
Our list features the best places to cruise to make the most of the weather from all corners of the globe while giving you the most unique experiences outside of Australia.
- Keen to cruise? Check out all our best cruise deals here.
Our top 4 places for cruises in August
1. South Pacific
Your next tropical adventure is just a short sail away.
The South Pacific has long been a secret destination for seasoned cruisers who want to get away from it all without having to travel too far.
Even better, August crosses over some of the most popular destinations for the ideal weather while avoiding both the cyclone season and the peak period later in the year.
- Departures from: Sydney, Cairns or Brisbane.
- Why August? You'll get to explore during one of the sunniest and driest months with some of the best visibility for underwater fun.
2. Eastern Canada and New England
An ideal mix of history, culinary and picturesque travel.
Stunning natural beauty and old world history blend seamlessly among this destination that really does have something for everyone.
- Departures from: Ports along the east coast of the USA including Baltimore, Boston, New York and Fort Lauderdale.
- Why August? August brings the best chance of warm weather so you can get off the ship and really explore.
3. The Baltics
Be a trendsetter while you explore quaint cities and Scandinavian culture.
The Baltic Sea is one of the newest destinations in the cruise market and gives you access to some of the trickiest European cities to visit on your own.
- Departures from: Southampton, Copenhagen, Stockholm and Amsterdam are common starting points.
- Why August? The region has a very short cruising season and a visit in August allows for the warmest weather.
The bucket list destination where you can spot glaciers, whales and grizzly bears all in one voyage.
Alaska is one of the few places where you can view the wildlife from the comfort of your deck chair with a cuppa in hand.
If you’re up for a little bit more adventure, hop in a helicopter and fly over the vast wilderness and learn all about the glaciers below.
- Departures from: Most departures are from Vancouver or Seattle.
- Why August? After August, the temperature starts to drop dramatically so this is your last chance for a relatively warm trip.
Ask an Expert