Monday the 14th of March is officially “pi” day (3.14 in the American date system, get it?) – so we’ve put our forks into the best pies in town to celebrate.
Did someone say… “best pies”? Think less Lisa Simpson, more Homer Simpson and you’ll be right on the money this Friday. Now, not all of us can be graced with Homer’s keen sense of smell for all things delicious and edible (and sometimes inedible) - so we’ve come to the food rescue with the best pies Sydney has to offer.
Pie of the week @ Hartsyard
- Where: 33 Enmore Road, Newtown
- Opening Hours: Wednesdays to Sundays, 5.30pm-late
Frozen Bavarian pie: chocolate biscuit base, frozen white and dark chocolate mousse and dark chocolate glaze served with compressed strawberry and milo ice-cream. There’s a mouthful. Of chocolate. That was last week’s pie (we know, we tried it, we almost died of happiness). What will next week hold?
Oreo Cookie Pie @ The Pie Tin
- Where: 1a Brown Street, Newtown
- Opening Hours: Monday - Wednesday, 10am-8pm; Thursday - Saturday, 10am-10pm; Sunday. 10am-6pm
- Facebook: The Pie Tin
Crispy pastry, sumptuous fillings... you can smell the pies warming on the racks all the way from the main street. The range changes daily, so be prepared to make an impulsive decision after you float through the doors. We recommend the slow roasted shredded pork with apple and bbq sauce for a savoury choice, or go all out with the Oreo cookie pie. Team finder: 1, Pie: 0.
Harry’s Tiger @ Harry’s Cafe de Wheels
- Where: Corner of Cowper Wharf Roadway & Darling Street, Woolloomooloo
- Opening Hours: Daily, 8.30am-2am
- Facebook: Harry’s Cafe de Wheels
Sydney’s pie institution and the best pies in the city, according to the outfit themselves. It’s also possibly our first and longest running food truck. If you only order one pie, go all out with its signature heart-stopper: Harry’s Tiger. Chunky lean beef, potato mash, mushy peas and gravy. Being messy while eating this one is not just an option. It’s a birthright.
Brandy Prune & Custard Tart/Special Pie Day pie @ Bourke Street Bakery
- Where: Surry Hills, Marrickville, Potts Point, Neutral Bay, Alexandria, North Sydney
- Opening Hours: Varies, check the website for more details
- Facebook: Bourke Street Bakery
Is it just us, or does everything that goes into the oven at Bourke Street Bakery comes out wielding an invisible flag that screams “eat me or forever perish in an abysmal hole of sadness?” You think we’re over-exaggerating. You haven’t been to Bourke Street Bakery. There’s chicken, sweet potato, pea and lime pickle pie for lunch, but as it’s a Friday we say cash in on special tart day. Whatever they’re offering, you’ll take it.
Young Henry’s Beer & Brisket Pie @ Black Star Pastry
- Where: 277 Australia Street, Newtown
- Opening Hours: Daily, 7am-5pm
- Facebook: Black Star Pastry
We love Young Henrys. We love Black Star Pastry. God knows we love pie. Who says that all Black Star is good for is watermelon cake? (Although that is pretty special.) Some people just don’t know what they’re missing.
Roast Vegie pie @ Janet’s Pies
- Where: 283 King Street, Newtown
- Opening Hours: Sunday-Wednesday, 7am-9pm; Thursday, 7am-11pm; Friday-Saturday, 7am-3am
- Facebook: Janets Pies
You can always count on 283 King Street for a midnight pie-feast on a weekend binger. The outfit has been through many pie stores, from Shakespeares to Jesters, but Janet’s been a stayer. She’s also heavy on her vegan offerings. Always good to know...
Pie Au Boeuf Bouguignon @ Le Pub
- Where: 66 King Street, Sydney
- Opening Hours: Monday-Wednesday, 10am-midnight; Thursday to Saturday, 10am-3am
- Facebook: Le Pub
When the pie looks this good and has a medal of honour to its name (who gets to judge these things? And how can we sign up?), you’re already stuck into this award winning beef bourguignon pie before we even finish this sentence. Don’t deny. Just eat.
Kangaroo pie @ Infinity Sourdough Bakery
- Where: 225 Victoria Road, Darlinghurst
- Opening Hours: Daily, 5.30am-11pm
- Facebook: Infinity Sourdough Bakery
Peer into the window and see what’s baking today. Australia Day’s kangaroo pie with mushrooms, asparagus, crushed almonds and 7-hour cooked ‘roo was laid over with a flaky pastry you could die for. When the pastry tastes this good, you can only image how well they stew the fillings.
Bert’s (perfect) beef pie @ York 75
- Where: 2/75 York Street, Sydney
- Opening Hours: Monday-Friday, 11.30am-late; Saturday 5pm-late
- Facebook: York 75
You’re at a sports bar, you’re hungry-thirsty, you’ve already ordered a jug of beer and you’re tossing between the burger or the pie. You choose the pie. Good call. It’s Bert’s - a specially crafted beef wonder born in est’s three-hatted kitchen, perfected by 17 chefs over 80 trial pies and eaten by you while watching the footy.
The Flaming Ron @ Bremen Patisserie
- Where: 302 West Street, Umina Beach
- Opening Hours: Daily from 8am
- Facebook: Bremen Patisserie
Some things are worth travelling all the way to Umina for. Wax your lips and your stomach and send this burning hot Trinidad scorpion butch t pepper pie down your, well, pie hole. Do it in under 10 minutes and you’ll be rewarded with a name in the Bremen hall of fame and a free plain meat pie. To abate the heat with, obviously.
Pie In The Sky
- Where:Erina Harvey Norman Complex, 178 The Entrance Rd, Erina
- Opening Hours: Daily 9am-5pm
- Facebook: Pie in the Sky
Speaking of pies worth travelling for, one should NOT overlook Pie in the Sky bakery on-route to the Central Coast. This place makes seriously ridiculously good pies. Trust us when we say that that sign in the window front that reads: "Best pies on the Coast!" is not a gimmick to lure you in under false pretenses, but just the cold, hard truth. One look at the flaky pastry tops or one whiff of the intoxicating meaty stews and you'll be singing their praises too, guaranteed.