Cook up a Bavarian storm this Oktoberfest with these authentic German recipes.
Oktoberfest would not be complete without a beer in hand and a hearty platter of meat on the table. If you’re planning to cook up a storm and host your own Oktoberfest party this year, take a page out of famous German beer hall Lowenbrau Keller’s recipe book (literally!) and serve these crowd pleasers at yours this September/October.We’ll raise our steins and prost to that!
Chicken schnitzel ingredients
This recipe is per schnitzel.
Chicken schnitzel recipe
- Place chicken breast between two sheets of baking paper and pound with a meat mallet or rolling pin to about 1.5cm in thickness.
- Season schnitzel with salt.
- Whisk egg.
- Put flour, egg and breadcrumbs in three different shallow bowls or plates.
- Coat schnitzel with flour, then egg, then breadcrumbs (pressing gently in breadcrumbs so they stick. Don’t press too firmly, or the characteristic air bubbles in the crumbs won’t form.)
- Put vegetable oil in shallow frying pan (approximately 1cm deep) and heat oil to 180°C. (To test the right temperature of oil place a wooden skewer in oil. If it has reached the right temperature bubbles will form around the skewer.)
- Fry schnitzel for 3-4 minutes on each side, until golden in colour. (Turn down the heat if the becomes too dark, too fast.) Gently push oil over top of schnitzel to help produce air bubbles/pockets in breadcrumbs.
- Remove from the pan and place on paper towel to remove excess oil.
Roast pork knuckle ingredients
Recipe serves four.
Roast pork knuckle recipe
- Preheat oven to 170°C.
- Wash knuckles under cold, running water and dry with paper towels.
- Make a spice mix for the knuckle by grinding salt, pepper, marjoram, rosemary and caraway seeds in a pestle and mortar or spice mill. Rub knuckles thoroughly with spice mix.
- Sear knuckles in a roasting tray. Take out of tray and set aside.
- Roast onions and garlic in same tray until golden brown, add tomato paste and stir to dissolve.
- Add beer, stock, sage, thyme and shake to combine. Return knuckles to the tray, meat-side down.
- Roast for 2.5 hours, constantly basting knuckles with roasting liquid from pan.
- Raise oven temperature to 220°C for the last 15 minutes, to crisp knuckle skin. (Stop basting at this point).
- Take knuckles out of tray and rest for five minutes.
To make bier jus, strain liquid from tray into a small pot, bring to boil.Thicken with cornflour. Season with salt and pepper.
Crispy pork belly ingredients
Recipe serves four.
Crispy Pork Belly Recipe
- Wash the pork belly under cold, running water.
- Place in a pot with cold water and bring to the boil.
- In the meantime peel onion, cut in half and stud with the bay leaves and cloves.
- Once the water boils, skim off any foam and add prepared onion.
- Simmer pork belly for 40 minutes.
- While the pork belly is simmering, mix 250ml lager, soy sauce, honey, thyme and rosemary in a small pot and bring to the boil. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 220°C.
- Take pork belly off the water, leave it to cool a little, then slash skin in a criss-cross pattern. Place pork belly on an oven tray, skin-side up, and brush with beer mixture.
- Roast pork belly for approximately 30-40 minutes, constantly basting with juices in tray.
- Remove from oven and leave to rest for 5 minutes.
Pour remaining 250ml of lager into roasting pan and dissolve, or rub off, the crust that has formed on the bottom. Strain liquid into a small pot, bring to boil and thicken lightly with mustard. Season with salt and pepper, if necessary.
Apple Strudel Ingredients
Recipe serves four to eight people.
Apple Strudel Recipe
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Mix flour, a pinch of salt, 4tbsp vegetable oil, and 150ml lukewarm water in a bowl.
- Knead dough on kitchen table until smooth. (Do not knead longer than 8 minutes, or the dough will become too firm and crack apart later.)
- Mould dough into a ball shape, rub with remaining oil, place on a plate, cover with cling film and leave to rest for at least 30 minutes.
- Mix raisins with rum and leave to infuse.
- Sauté chopped almonds in a pan, without additional oil or fat, until golden brown.
- Dissolve 50g butter in a pan, add breadcrumbs and sauté, add 50g of sugar and leave to cool.
- Zest lemon and squeeze lemon juice into a bowl.
- Peel apples, core and quarter. Cut into 5mm slices and mix with raisins, almonds, lemon zest and lemon juice, remaining sugar, cinnamon and pinch of salt.
- Melt remaining butter and put aside.
- Roll dough on flour-dusted kitchen table until thin. Pull the dough further on top of the back of your hands until approximately 60cm x 60cm. (When you can read a newspaper through the dough, it’s thin enough.)
- Cut thick outer rim off dough and make sure bench surface is well dusted with flour.
- Brush dough with liquid butter.
- Spread sweet breadcrumbs over the lower quarter of the dough, leaving a 3 cm rim to the bottom and the sides.
- Place apple mix on top of breadcrumbs and fold rims of dough over apple mix.
- Roll strudel like spring roll and put onto a baking paper lined oven tray.
- Remove excess flour from the strudel using soft brush.
- Brush strudel with remaining butter and bake for 30-35 minutes until golden brown.
- Rest for ten minutes and cut into 4 to 8 pieces.
- Generously dust with icing sugar (and drizzle with chocolate sauce, if you can’t resist) and serve with vanilla ice-cream and whipped cream.
Torn Pancakes Ingredients
Recipe serves four.
Torn Pancakes Recipe
- In a small bowl soak the raisins in the rum for minimum 30 minutes (use warm water if you wish to omit alcohol).
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the egg yolks with sugar and salt until creamy.
- Gradually whisk in the flour and milk to create a smooth batter.
- Add 50g of melted butter to the batter and mix until evenly combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff then slowly mix into the batter (the goal is to keep as much air as possible).
- Strain the raisins and mix into the batter.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Add a little butter to frying pan (enough to cover base) and heat slowly. Pour in the batter until it is about 1cm high in the pan.
- Caramelise the “pancake” on both sides until golden brown, then finish in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove pancake from pan and rip into small pieces.
- In same pan, melt the sugar slowly until caramelised.
- Add remaining butter and slivered almonds and toss until evenly coated.
- Add the pieces of pancake, or kaiserschmarrn, and toss until evenly combined.
- Pile the pieces of pancake on to a plate and dust with icing sugar
Online grocery shopping deals
Get your order delivered for just $5
Order food with Deliveroo for just a $5 flat rate
Show code & visit siteCL****After the store tab opens, come back to copy the code
Click & Collect
Place your order before 11am and you can collect your groceries that afternoon! Online only.
6 Month - Delivery Saver
Save $174 on delivery fees when you buy a 6 month delivery pass. Online only.
Aussie Farmers' Starter Box delivered to your door for just $25
Get the Aussie Farmers' Starter Box delivered to your door for just $25.
Easy home delivery of your groceries
Get easy home delivery of your groceries with Aussie Farmers Direct
12 Month - Delivery Saver
Save $379 on delivery feed when you buy a 12 month delivery pass from Woolworths. Online only.
Our Oktoberfest recipes not enough? Need more inspiration? Here’s our top three Oktoberfest-inspired recipe books
All recipes and images are courtesy of Lowenbrau Keller