Best introductory credit card offers June 2017
The best deals to help you get more value from a new credit card.
If you're looking for a new credit card, introductory offers can be a great way to sweeten the deal. These promotions range from 0% introductory interest rates to cashback or thousands of bonus points. But you'll always need to meet specific requirements to take advantage of an offer on your new card.
With introductory offers regularly changing, it's important to stay on top of the deals available when you're ready to apply. So, here are the top introductory offers for June based on potential dollar value, card costs and eligibility requirements.
Rates and fees are correct as of 2 June 2017 but may change subsequently.
Best 0% balance transfer offer
St.George Vertigo Platinum credit card
This low rate platinum credit card currently offers 0% on balance transfers for 20 months. At the end of the introductory offer, the balance transfer rate reverts to the standard variable purchase rate, which is currently a competitive 12.74% p.a.
The St.George Vertigo Platinum has an annual fee of $99 and offers complimentary extras including overseas travel insurance, domestic flight inconvenience insurance and purchase protection insurance.
What do I have to do to get this offer?
Take note of these details to enjoy a balance transfer rate of 0% for 20 months with this card.
- Apply by 20 September 2017. This rate is available for balance transfers when you apply for a new St.George Vertigo Platinum card between 3 May and 20 September 2017.
- Request the balance transfer at the time of your application. You can only get this offer if you include details of your balance transfer request on your initial application for the St.George Vertigo Platinum.
- Eligible debts. You can transfer balance(s) from credit, charge or store cards issued in Australia as long as they are not issued by St.George, Bank of Melbourne or BankSA.
- Balance transfer amount. You can request a transfer for a minimum of $200 and up to 95% of your approved available credit limit for the card.
- Activate the card. If your application is approved, you need to activate the card to initiate the balance transfer process. Remember to continue to make payments on your existing debts until the balance transfer is completed.
Alternative offer: Virgin Australia Velocity Flyer (exclusive)
If you’re interested in consolidating your debt on card that offers rewards, this exclusive offer for applications made through finder.com.au gives you 0% on balance transfers for 18 months. Benefits of the Velocity Flyer include points per $1 spent on eligible purchases, a $129 Virgin Australia Gift Voucher each year you have the card and complimentary insurance. It has a reduced annual fee of $64 in the first year ($129 p.a. thereafter) and the cash advance rate applies to any balance remaining after the introductory period.
Best reward or frequent flyer bonus point offer
American Express Velocity Platinum credit card
A premium frequent flyer credit card, the American Express Velocity Platinum currently offers a bonus 100,000 Velocity Points for new customers. This is the highest amount of bonus points available at the moment and is enough for a return economy flight from Sydney to Los Angeles (from 89,600 points plus taxes and fees) or a return business class flight from Melbourne to Bali (from 99,000 points plus taxes and fees).
The American Express Velocity Platinum also offers a complimentary return domestic return flight with Virgin Australia, airport lounge passes and complimentary insurance, with an annual fee of $375 p.a.
What do I need to know to get this offer?
Here are the key requirements you need to meet to enjoy this massive bonus point offer.
- Apply online by 31 July 2017. To be eligible for the bonus point offer, you need to apply by 31 July 2017 and get approved for the card.
- New cardmembers only. This offer is only available if you are a new American Express cardmember. This means you can’t currently hold an Amex card (whether issued by American Express or another provider). You also aren’t eligible if you have held an Amex card product issued by American Express Australia Limited in the 18 months prior to this offer.
- Spending requirement. You must spend at least $1,500 on eligible purchases within the first 3 months of card membership to be eligible for the bonus points. This includes most everyday purchases but excludes cash advances, interest, balance transfers, fees and charges for traveller’s cheques and foreign currencies.
Alternative offer: St.George Amplify Signature
This ultra premium credit card from St.George is currently offering up to 90,000 bonus Amplify Points or Qantas Points for new customers who apply by 20 September 2017. With this offer, you can collect 60,000 bonus points in the first year when you spend $3,000 on eligible purchases within the first 90 days, plus 30,000 bonus points in the second year when you pay the annual fee. A similar offer is also available with the Bank of Melbourne Amplify Signature.
Best cashback credit card offer
Citi Simplicity credit card
The Citi Simplicity card offers 10% cashback on all eligible purchases, capped at $50 per month for 4 months from card approval. That means you can earn a maximum of $200, which is the highest cash back offer currently available from a major bank.
The Citi Simplicity card also has no annual fee for life and platinum benefits including complimentary purchase insurance, transit accident insurance and a concierge service.
What do I do to get this offer?
Follow these steps to enjoy 10% cash back with the Citi Simplicity credit card.
- Apply by 31 August 2017. This is the deadline for you to get your application in if you want to be eligible for cash back on your spending with the Citi Simplicity.
- Eligible spending. Cashback is only calculated on eligible purchases you make with this card. This covers most everyday and retail purchases, with exclusions including cash advances, balance transfers, fees, BPAY payments, finance charges, government charges and transactions made when the account is more than $10,000 in credit. Charge backs, refunds, fraudulent transactions or any other unauthorised transactions are also not counted towards the cash back amount.
- Cashback credit. To earn the maximum cashback amount of $200, you would need to spend $500 per month on eligible purchases for the first 4 months. The cashback will be credited to the approved primary cardholder's account within 8 weeks after each eligible purchase has been made.
Alternative offer: American Express Essential credit card
This no annual fee American Express card gives you the chance to get a $50 account credit when you spend $750 within the first 3 months of approval. As with other Amex introductory offers, you must be a new cardmember to take advantage of it. The Amex Essential also earns 1 Membership Rewards point per $1 spent on eligible purchases and 0.5 points per $1 on government charges (including payments to the ATO).
These offers help maximise the benefits you get from a new credit card, providing you apply by the offer end date and meet the eligibility requirements. If you want to compare other cards, you can check out our guide to credit card introductory offers to see what other deals are available right now.