Best introductory credit card offers December 2017
Make the most of holiday season credit card offers that give you 0% on balance transfers, bonus frequent flyer points or interest-free purchases for up to 14 months.
From presents and parties to family holidays and delicious meals, it’s no wonder this is the peak spending season for many of us. But it’s also a time of year when you can use introductory credit card offers to your advantage – and there are some real goodies on the market right now.
Whether you want to pay off existing card debt, earn more frequent flyer points or buy all your presents interest-free, here we unwrap the top credit card offers you can get this season based on their dollar value and lists you’ll need to check before you can get them.
Rates and fees are correct as of 4 December 2017 but may change subsequently.
Best 0% balance transfer offer
NAB Premium (exclusive)
With 0% on balance transfers for 25 months, this exclusive NAB Premium offer gives you the longest 0% interest option currently on the market. It also has no balance transfer fee, saving you 2% on your debt compared to the other NAB Premium offers available elsewhere.
At the end of the introductory period, any remaining debt from your transfer will attract the cash advance interest rate (currently 21.74% p.a.). The NAB Premium also features seven complimentary insurance covers, including overseas travel insurance, as well as a competitive annual fee of $90.
What do I have to do to get this offer?
Here’s how you can get 0% interest for 25 months on your existing card debt with the NAB Premium credit card:
- Exclusive to finder.com.au. You’ll need to click the “Go to site” button on finder.com.au to be eligible for this exclusive offer.
- Limited time offer. This exclusive offer is only available for a limited time and interest rates are subject to change, so make sure you double-check these details when you apply.
- Eligible debts. You’ll only be able to transfer debts from Australian credit cards not issued by NAB.
- Request the balance transfer at the time of your application. To get 0% p.a. interest for 25 months, you’ll need to request the balance transfer at the time of your application.
- Balance transfer amount. You can request to transfer a minimum of $200 and up to 90% of the available credit limit, subject to lending criteria and approval.
- Minimum payments. Note that you’ll still need to pay at least the minimum amount due on each statement. This is calculated as 2% of your balance and needs to be paid by the statement’s due date.
Alternative offer: Westpac Low Rate – Online offer
This online-only Westpac Low Rate offer gives you 0% p.a. interest for 24 months on balance transfers with a one-time 2% balance transfer fee. This card also has a competitive standard variable purchase rate of 13.49% p.a. and annual fee of $59 that can help keep costs down. To get this offer, you’ll need to apply by 31 January 2018 and request a balance transfer for any non-Westpac store or credit card at the time of your application.
Best reward or frequent flyer bonus points offer
ANZ Frequent Flyer Black
This premium Qantas frequent flyer credit card offers you 75,000 bonus Qantas Points when you apply by 24 January 2018 and spend $2,500 in the first 3 months from card approval. With this offer, you can also earn a bonus 75 Status Credits by booking and travelling on a return flight with Qantas by 31 May 2018.
As well as points and Status Credits, applying for the ANZ Frequent Flyer Black by 24 January 2018 will give you a $0 annual fee in the first year (normally $425 p.a.), plus the opportunity to earn Qantas Points for all your eligible spending.
What do I have to do to get this offer?
Here’s what you need to do to make the most of this bonus points and status credit offer:
- Apply by 24 January 2018. You’ll only be able to get the bonus points and status credit offers if you apply by 24 January 2018.
- New card members only. This offer is only available to new and approved ANZ Frequent Flyer Black applicants.
- Bonus Points spending criteria. You’ll need to spend $2,500 on eligible purchases within the first 3 months from card approval to get the 75,000 bonus Qantas Points. This covers most everyday spending but exclusions include fees, cash and cash equivalent transactions, balance transfers and gambling transactions.
- Bonus Status Credits requirements. You need to book and travel on a new return flight with Qantas by 31 May 2018 to be eligible for the bonus 75 Status Credits.
- Frequent flyer membership details. To earn Qantas Points and Status Credits on this card, you’ll need to be a member of the Qantas Frequent Flyer program and share your membership details when you apply for this card. If you're not yet a member, you can enrol for the Qantas Frequent Flyer Program and the $89.50 fee will be waived.
Alternative offer: NAB Qantas Rewards Signature
The NAB Qantas Rewards Signature currently offers 100,000 bonus Qantas Points when you apply by 25 February 2018 and spend $3,000 on everyday purchases within 60 days of opening the account. Unlike the ANZ Frequent Flyer Black’s offer, this card doesn’t waive its annual fee in the first year, so you’ll have to pay $395 every year you hold the card.
Best 0% purchase or cashback credit card offer
Virgin Australia Velocity Flyer – 0% purchase and balance transfer offer
If you want to make interest-free purchases during the holiday season and beyond, this Velocity Flyer offer will give you 0% on purchases for 14 months. As well as giving you one of the longest 0% purchase rate offers on the market, you can also make use of a 0% balance transfer rate for the first 6 months.
The Virgin Australia Velocity Flyer also earns Velocity Points for your everyday spending and gives you a $129 Virgin Australia voucher each year, which you can use to offset the $129 annual fee.
What do I have to do to get this offer?
Follow these steps to enjoy 0% interest on purchases for 14 months and 0% on balance transfers for 6 months with the Velocity Flyer:
- Apply by 31 January 2018. You’ll need to apply by 31 January 2018 to make use of these introductory 0% interest rates.
- Select the purchase and balance transfer offer. The Virgin Australia Velocity Flyer credit card has several different introductory offers, so make sure you’ve clicked on the purchase and balance transfer offer to get this deal.
- 0% p.a. purchase period. You’ll get 0% interest on purchases for the first 14 months from the time your card is approved. After that, any purchase balance left on the card will be charged the standard purchase rate of 20.74% p.a. (variable)
- Request the balance transfer at the time of your application. If you’re transferring debt to this card, make sure you include details of the accounts when you apply. With this card, you can request a balance transfer for any Australian-issued store cards, credit cards or personal loans not issued by Citi.
- 0% balance transfer period. For balance transfers, you’ll get 0% p.a. for the first 6 months before the cash advance rate (20.99% p.a.) applies to any remaining balance.
Alternative offer: NAB Low Rate Platinum
The NAB Low Rate Platinum currently offers 0% p.a. on purchases for the first 9 months, then reverts to a standard variable purchase rate of 13.99% p.a. It also comes with complimentary travel insurance, purchase insurance and a concierge service, which could be particularly useful in the lead up to Christmas holidays.
While this time of year is known as the “silly season”, it doesn’t mean you have to be silly with your credit card. So take some time to think about your spending plans and your current card, then compare a range of introductory offers like these ones to find an option that’s right for you.
- Zip Pay and Visa partner up – why this is big news
- Why “no interest” credit cards are really “monthly fee” cards
- CBA announces zero interest credit card CommBank Neo: How does it compare?
- NAB StraightUp: How credit cards are changing in a buy now pay later world
- 8 personal finance habits to get more out of life