Best introductory credit card offers August 2017
Looking for a new credit card? You could enjoy 0% interest on balance transfers for up to 24 months, a bonus 100,000 Qantas Points or cashback on your account with these introductory credit card offers.
With so many credit cards on the market, it pays to look at the range of introductory offers that can help you get more value from the card you choose. These promotional deals are designed to appeal to different goals and needs, from paying down existing card debt to using points to pay for flights, travel and other rewards. Some also sweeten the deal with cashback offers or other introductory savings.
If you’re shopping around for that next credit card, here you can see this month’s top offers from our database for balance transfers, rewards and cashback based on their potential dollar value, card costs and the hoops you need to get through to enjoy more benefits when you sign up.
Rates and fees are correct as of 2 August 2017 but may change subsequently.
Best 0% balance transfer offer
NAB Premium (finder.com.au exclusive)
If you have credit card debt you want to get rid of, this exclusive offer could help you save on interest charges with 0% for 24 months on balance transfers. Unlike many of the other long-term balance transfer promotions currently available, there is also no balance transfer fee. At the end of the introductory period, any debt remaining from the balance will be charged interest at the standard variable cash advance rate.
In terms of ongoing features, the NAB Premium offers seven complimentary insurance options, including international travel insurance when you spend at least $500 of your prepaid travel costs on the card. It also has a 24/7 concierge service and an annual fee of $90 that’s quite competitive for a premium card.
What do I have to do to get this offer?
Here are the key details to remember if you want to get 0% on balance transfers for 24 months with this card:
- Exclusive to finder.com.au. This introductory balance transfer offer is only available if you apply through finder.com.au. Just click the the “Go to Site” button to be taken to a secure application page that’s specific to this promotion.
- Apply by 31 August 2017. You’ll need to apply for this offer by the end of August if you want to enjoy 0% on balance transfers for 24 months and no balance transfer fee.
- Request the balance transfer at the time of your application. During your application, you need to include details of the debt or debts you want to transfer to the card. So make sure you have your existing card details handy and know how much you’d like to transfer to the NAB Premium. Please note that you can only transfer debts from cards that have not been issued by NAB.
- Balance transfer amount. The debts you want to transfer can be worth up to 90% of your approved credit limit for the NAB Premium. So if you got a credit limit of $10,000, for example, you’d be able to transfer up to $9,000 for existing cards not issued by NAB (subject to approval).
- Balance transfer processing time. Once approved, the actual balance transfer could take between two to four weeks to process. Make sure you continue to meet any repayments on your old card during this time to avoid further fees. You can cancel the old card after the balance shows up on your NAB Premium.
- No interest-free days. If you get a balance transfer with this card, you won’t be eligible for any interest-free period on new purchases. Ideally, you should avoid paying with the NAB Premium until you’re cleared your balance transfer debt.
Alternative offer: St.George Vertigo Platinum
If you’re juggling existing debt but also want a low ongoing interest rate, the St.George Vertigo Platinum offers 0% on balance transfers for 20 months and has an ongoing purchase rate of 12.74%p.a. (variable). This card lets you transfer up to 95% of your approved credit limit from Australian credit cards that are not issued by St.George, BankSA or Bank of Melbourne. The balance transfer rate also reverts to the variable purchase rate for this card at the end of the introductory period. The St.George Vertigo Platinum also offers complimentary travel insurance and comes with an annual fee of $99. This offer ends on 20 September 2017.
Best rewards or frequent flyer bonus points offer
American Express Qantas Ultimate
This premium frequent flyer credit card from Amex gives you the chance to earn a massive 100,000 bonus Qantas Points when you apply online, are approved and spend $1,500 in the first 3 months. That’s enough for a return economy flight to Los Angeles from Brisbane, Melbourne or Sydney (90,000 points).
The Amex Qantas Ultimate also offers 1.5 Qantas Points per $1 spent on most purchases, with 0.5 points per $1 for government payments and 2.5 points per $1 for eligible spending with Qantas. While it does have a hefty annual fee of $450, you may be able to offset this cost through the many complimentary extras, including a domestic economy return flight with Qantas and insurance for both domestic and overseas trips.
What do I have to do to get this offer?
Take note of these details to get 100,000 Qantas Points with this Amex card:
- Apply online by 2 October 2017. This offer is only available when you apply for the American Express Qantas Ultimate by 2 October 2017 and are approved for the card. Click the “Go to Site” link on this page to be taken to the secure online application that’s specific to this offer.
- New cardmembers only. You’re only eligible for the bonus 100,000 Qantas Points if you’re new to American Express or have a bank-issued Amex card. But if you have had a card issued by American Express in the past 18 months, you won’t be eligible for this offer.
- Spend criteria. You need to spend $1,500 on eligible purchases in the first 3 months to be eligible for the bonus point offer. This covers most of your everyday spending but excludes transactions such as cash advances. The 100,000 points will be credited to your account around 8–10 weeks after you meet this spending requirement.
Alternative offer: American Express Explorer
If you want more flexibility with your rewards, the American Express Explorer lets you earn a bonus 100,000 Membership Rewards when you apply online by 2 October 2017 and spend $1,500 in the first 3 months from card approval. You can then transfer your points to frequent flyer programs including Velocity, Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer, Emirates Skywards and Asia Miles, or redeem them for travel, merchandise and other benefits available through the Membership Rewards Gateway program. The Amex Explorer has an annual fee of $395 and also offers a $400 travel credit each year, airport lounge passes and complimentary insurance.
Best cashback credit card offer
This no annual fee platinum credit card currently offers you 10% cashback on all eligible purchases for the first 4 months, capped at $50 cashback per month. This means if you spend $500 per month on the card, you’ll be able to earn the maximum of $200 cashback in during the promotional period.
The Citi Simplicity also offers complimentary purchase insurance, transit accident insurance, a concierge service and complimentary wine when you dine and pay with your card at participating Citi Dining Program restaurants. Note that this card does have a interest rate of 19.99% p.a. (variable) for purchases, so you’d get the most benefit out of the introductory offer if you could pay off the balance by the due date on each statement to avoid paying interest charges.
What do I have to do to get this offer?
Here's what you need to know to get 10% cashback for the first 4 months you have the Citi Simplicity card.
- Apply by 31 August 2017. This offer is available for new customers when you apply by 31 August 2017.
- Cashback limit. You’ll earn 10% cashback each month for the first 4 months, up to a maximum of $50 per month. That means the maximum you can earn during the promotional period is $200.
- Eligible spending. Most everyday purchases you make using the Citi Simplicity will count towards your 10% cashback. Transactions that won’t count towards it include balance transfers, cash advances, fees, BPAY payments, foreign currency purchases and payments to the ATO. You also won’t earn cashback if your account is in credit by $10,000.
Alternative offer: CommBank Low Rate
If you’re after cashback on a credit card with a lower interest rate on purchases, the CommBank Low Rate currently offers $200 cashback when you apply by 31 August 2017, are approved and spend $750 on eligible purchases by 31 October 2017. This card currently offers a variable interest rate of 13.24% p.a. for purchases and has an annual fee of $59.
If you’re planning to get a new credit card in August, there’s potential to enjoy more value through these introductory offers. Just remember to also look at the standard features and compare a range of cards and offers so you can find one that offers benefits not only when you sign up but also in the future.
- Money Hack: Get a $20 credit when you dine out with an Amex card
- Ask Finder: Can I earn points for paying my uni fees with a credit card?
- Ask Finder: Will using my credit card at a newsagency count as a cash advance?
- Ask Finder: Will getting a new credit card affect my other cards?
- Best frequent flyer and rewards credit cards February 2019