Best hair curlers in Australia 2021
Styling hair doesn’t need to be reserved for the hair salon. Allow us to help you choose the perfect hair curler with our guide to the best ones available in Australia.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Finding the right hair curler can be challenging when there is such a wide variety on the market. To make things harder, there are plenty of things you should consider when choosing a hair curler.
Do you have short or long hair? Are you after something that will give you tight curls or loose waves? Or do you want a multi-use tool? Are you looking for something affordable or do you have some cash to give? Is your hair damaged?
Choosing and investing in the right hair curler can make or break your hair. Luckily for you, we have compiled a complete guide to the best hair curlers on the Australian market. We looked at the most popular products and from there we compared features, looked at customer reviews and tried out select models to decide which hair curlers are the best for you.
Best for soft curls
The GHD Curve Soft Curl Tong is designed to create big, soft waves. The 32mm barrel is big enough to deliver glamorous waves and plenty of volume.
- Maximum temperature is 185 degrees Celsius
- Automatic sleep mode after 30 minutes without use
- The protective cool tip allows you to keep your hand somewhere while you curl, without getting burnt
- Comes with a built-in safety stand so the curling tong can be placed down on a table during styling
Best for tight curls
The Hot Tools Curl Iron 19mm is the ideal tool to create corkscrew curls. The small barrel means it can be used by all hair lengths. The result? Well-defined and long-lasting curls.
- 13 variable temperature settings from 140 degrees Celsius to 220 degrees Celsius
- Comes with a safety stand
- Gold surface means that the heat is distributed evenly
- Automatic sleep mode after two hours
Best for hair health
The Dyson AirWrap is a multi-use tool, based on the concept of styling without extreme heat. It uses a technology known as the Coanda effect to attract, wrap and curl hair without damaging it.
- Comes with intelligent heat control so that temperature is maintained below 150 degrees Celsius
- Three speed and three heat control options
- Lightweight and ergonomic design
- Comes with multiple attachments to style, dry, smooth and curl the hair
- Adore Beauty rating: 4.7/5
- Price: $805
- Where to buy: eBay
Best high-end option
GHD Curve Creative Curl Wand
The GHD Curve Creative Curl Wand comes with a high price tag, but for good reason. It has a unique tapered barrel that measures from 28mm to 23mm. This means you can customise your hair to achieve a look with deep, voluminous waves or bouncy, tighter curls.
- Great for all hair types and hair lengths due to the tapered barrel
- The whole barrel maintains a temperature of 185 degrees Celsius
- Has a built-in safety stand and a protective cool tip
- Automatic sleep mode comes on after 30 minutes of no use
- Adore Beauty rating: 5/5
- Price: $181
- Where to buy: eBay
Best affordable option
Although the Babyliss Pro 38mm Ceramic Curling Tong doesn’t come with any fancy technical features, it gets the job done. It’s affordable but doesn’t compromise on quality. It gives you bouncy yet glamorous waves thanks to the large barrel.
- Comes with 25 different heat settings, with a maximum temperature of about 200 degrees Celsius
- Works on any hair type or hair length
- Ceramic barrel delivers constant heat across the entire surface
Best easy-to-use curler
VS Sassoon Smooth and Wave
The VS Sassoon Smooth and Wave is a 2-in-1 styling tool that is incredibly easy to use. You can decide between beautiful waves or smooth, straight hair. Hair is automatically attracted to the ceramic chamber in which the hair is heated and styled.
- Comes with three heat settings ranging between 180 degrees Celsius and 230 degrees Celsius
- Has ceramic plates to heat up the hair
- Only takes a few seconds for the styling tool to heat up
- The Good Guys rating: 4.5/5
- Price: $129
- Where to buy: eBay
Best curler for multi-use
Cloud 9 Original Curling Wand
The Cloud 9 Original Curling Wand is a tapered styling tool which means you can achieve a range of different curls. From classic Hollywood waves to tight curls, this curling iron can help you achieve any look you’re after.
- It has a temperature control panel with low, medium and high heat options
- Comes with a heat glove
- Works for all hair lengths, except pixie cuts
- Automatic sleep mode is activated after 30 minutes of no use
- Adore Beauty rating: 4.8/5
- Price: $230
- Where to buy: eBay
Ask and you shall receive! According to you guys, these are some of the best hair curlers on the market.
The price is on the dearer end but it's completely worth it if you want to curl your hair on a regular basis.
What are the most important things to look for when choosing a hair curler?
- Ease of use: Find a curler that you know will be easy to use. There is nothing worse than deciding to curl your hair before a big event and ending up with a hair disaster.
- Lightweight and comfortable: As silly as it sounds, styling and curling hair can be straining on the arms, especially if the tool you are using sits on the heavier side. You need to continuously hold your arms in the air as you manoeuvre through all the different sections and wait for your hair to heat up and curl. Find something that is lightweight to limit the ache you may receive.
- It does what you want. If you want your hair curler to provide luscious Hollywood-style waves, we don’t recommend choosing a small barrel that measures around 19mm. There are many types available so you might want to do your research before committing to a hair tool. Have a read through our guide to pick the best option for you.
How to use a hair curler
This is dependent on the type of hair tool you are using.
- For a standard curler: pick up a section of hair and wrap it around the tool. Hold it against the heat for however long is instructed by the product you are using, as it can sometimes differ. You have the option of twirling your hair clockwise or anticlockwise around the barrel – it really just depends on what you prefer. Moreover, the size of the section of hair you curl will determine the size of the curl so you can customise this to your personal preference. If you are scared of burning your hands, don’t stress: some hair tools come with a glove to wear while curling, but if it doesn’t, you can always purchase one from eBay.
- Some new styles, such as the Dyson AirWrap, are based on a new design concept where you simply hold the tool near your hair and the airflow attracts the hair, wraps it and curls it all on its own. This still effectively curls the hair but it can be tricky to use for hair beginners. Read our full review on the Dyson AirWrap here.
How to curl hair without a curler
If your hair needs a break from the heat of styling tools, you can still enjoy glamorous curls. There are some pretty cool beauty hacks that allow you to rock a curly ’do without the use of a hot tool.
- Hack 1: Wash your hair the night before and then braid it. How tight the braid is will determine how tight the curl is. When you wake up in the morning, take out the braids and you have wonderful curls!
- Hack 2: Use hair rollers. Sure, it’s a little old fashioned but they do work. Roll your hair around the tool and let it sit. You can use a bobby pin to secure the hair down. You will have tight curls in no time!
- Hack 3: Put on your favourite headband and twist sections of hair around it. Make sure it's right where the bottom of the headband meets the bottom of your hairline. Allow it to sit and release for bouncy waves!
Deals on health and beauty:
Popular Health & Beauty coupon codes
|Last checked||Code description||Code|
|19 Jan 2021||15% off when you spend $100||FIN****|
|18 Jan 2021||30% off site-wide||30O****|
|5 Oct 2020||10% off orders over $75||FIN****|
|24 Feb 2020||5% off your orders||FIN****|
|15 Jan 2021||Up to 30% off site-wide||CUR****|
Image Source: Getty
More guides on Finder
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
10% off Apple Airpods Pro, 29% off Sennheiser wireless headphones and 20% off HP Pavilion x360 convertible laptop.
Best multivitamin brands in Australia
These are the five best multivitamin brands in Australia chosen by consumers.
Best milk frothers in Australia
These are the six best milk frothers you can buy right now in Australia.
Best waterproof mascara in Australia
These are the 7 best waterproof mascaras you can get in Australia right now.
Best makeup brushes in Australia
Here are the 8 best makeup brushes available in Australia right now.
Best hairbrushes in Australia
From the best overall hairbrush to the best hairbrush for kids, these are the nine best hairbrushes you can buy in Australia right now.
Best frying pans in Australia
Get ready to sizzle with the best frying pans you can buy right now.
Best carpet cleaners in Australia
We peruse reviews from real customers and compare key product features to find the best carpet cleaners you can buy right now in Australia.
Sites to buy home and office furniture with Zip Pay | Full list 2021
Update your furniture and appliances sooner thanks to the stores letting you pay off your purchase in easy instalments.
Best hot rollers for hair in Australia
Achieve the perfect curl or wave with the top 6 hot rollers for hair that you can buy in Australia right now.
Even more shopping deals
Ask an Expert