Best flip phones in Australia
If you want to get back to basics, we've selected the 7 best flip phones available here in Australia to help make your decision easier.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
The best flip phones in Australia
- Best Flip phone overall: Samsung Galaxy Fold 5G
- Best budget Flip phone: LONG-CZ J9
- Best mid-range flip phone: Kyocera E4610PTT DURAXV LTE PTT
- Best dual screen Flip phone: LG G8X ThinQ Dual Screen Unlocked Smartphone
- Best Flip phone for making calls: Samsung Entro Mobile Phone Black
- Best Flip phone for seniors: CPR Call Blocker CS900
- Best Flip phone for kids: Doro 4G Flip Phone
How did we pick this list?
The products on this list are based on extensive research and real customer reviews. For each category, we carefully selected parameters based on our research and identified the products with the highest review score within those parameters.
Best Flip phone overall: Samsung Galaxy Fold 5G
- Larger screen allows easy multi-tasking of three apps at once
- Unlike its rivals, comes standard with quality earbuds
- Camera array is a step behind the iPhone 11, its closest competitor
- Some reviewers reporting unsatisfactory post-purchase support with Samsung
Price (RRP): $2,499Buy at AmazonBuy at KoganBuy at Catch
Why we chose it
As with many products, securing a truly exceptional flip phone means venturing into the deep end of the RRP pool. Though it's a relatively newly listed item in the Amazon store, Samsung's Galaxy Fold 5G already has 3.8/5 stars from 30 ratings as of October 2020.
It's a strikingly designed flip phone with a gorgeous 7.3-inch dynamic AMOLED capacitive touchscreen that's capable of displaying 16M colours, 1536 x 2152 pixels. That's also backed by an additional 4.6-inch AMOLED cover display that outputs 720 x 1680 pixels.
Better yet, the Galaxy Fold runs on the powerful Qualcomm SDM855 Snapdragon 855, it offers 512GB of storage and has a 16MP triple primary camera set-up.
Best budget flip phone: LONG-CZ J9
- Reviewers reporting solid Bluetooth connectivity and remarkably loud speakers
- Novel, diminutive design is a conversation-starter
- While standby time is reasonable, some reviewers report low in-use battery life
- Some users reporting incompatibility with some advertised carriers
Price (RRP): $59.20Buy at Amazon
Why we chose it
If you're simply looking for a cheap way to keep in touch while also enjoying the superior screen protection a flip design provides, Long CZ's J9 comes with a 3.6/5 star rating after 300+ Amazon reviews. Fair warning: it's a remarkably tiny handset and something of a misplacement risk.
Weighing at a minuscule 10g and flipping open to an almost comical 72mm in length, it's a good thing the J9 supports larger Bluetooth headsets as well. Other features include an in-built voice changing application and sim card compatibility with 2G, 3G and 4G networks.
Best mid-range flip phone: Kyocera E4610PTT DURAXV LTE PTT
- Reviewers reporting ease of use and great call audio quality
- Allows for a surprising degree of customisation for a non-smartphone
- Some reviewers have experienced lower-than-expected standby battery life
- Some reviewers reporting incompatibility with their particular carrier
Price (RRP): $504.64Buy at AmazonBuy at eBay
Why we chose it
If you're hoping to step up in flip handset features but you don't want to spend thousands, you'd best look into Kyocera E4610PTT DURAXV with its 3.8/5 star rating after 86 Amazon reviews. What it lacks in snappy product naming, it makes up for in durable design.
Designed and marketed towards the outdoor adventurers among you, this is a full-featured flip phone that's been built to (reasonably) resist shock, water damage and solar radiation. It's also worth noting that while this technically isn't a smartphone, it still supports group messaging/MMS and the like.
Best dual screen flip phone: LG G8X ThinQ Dual Screen Unlocked Smartphone
- In-screen fingerprint reader is greatly appreciated
- Reviewers reporting excellent performance when multitasking apps
- Reviewers reporting cases/accessories are difficult to find for this unit
- Extra tech means additional weight
Price (RRP): $858.87Buy at Amazon
Why we chose it
If dazzling onlookers is your goal (or you just need double the screen space to get twice as many things done), LG's G8X ThinQ comes highly recommended with a 4.2/5 Amazon rating after 93 reviews. Its dual 6.4-inch OLED screens are a multi-taskers dream and they're snuggly housed in a stylish, wallet-style flip case that includes a headphone jack (a premium phone rarity).
Other features include a generous 4000mAh battery capacity and a camera array that consists of a 12-megapixel rear-facing unit and a 13-megapixel ultrawide. It also boasts decent water resistance, expandable memory and wireless charging.
Best flip phone for making calls: Samsung Entro Mobile Phone Black
- Rugged design can take a ton of bumps
- Whole design is centred on providing a superior auditory experience
- Some reviewers complaining of a less rugged charger plug design
- Competing phones at this price range include a camera
Price (RRP): $269.36Buy at Amazon
Why we chose it
If you or a hard-of-hearing loved one wants to be assured of a crystal clear phone communication experience, Samsung's Entro Mobile comes highly recommended with a 4.5/5 Amazon rating after 161 reviews. Though you'll be sacrificing the web-based versatility of a smartphone, there's no arguing with the Entro's battery benefits (12 days standby and 4hrs talk time).
Other features include an easy to navigate proprietary OS that lets you sift through voicemails, enable an exceptionally loud and capable speakerphone or access to a settings menu that offers Hearing Aid Compatible (HAC) support. Speaking of accessibility, the generously sized dial pad also comes with T9 predictive text functionality.
Best flip phone for seniors: CPR Call Blocker CS900
- Peace of mind provided by an Intelligent SOS Emergency Assist feature
- Many reviewers comment on the exceptional volume and clarity of the speakers
- The odd reviewer feels the handset is not user-friendly enough
- Instructional downloads are reportedly difficult to find online
Price (RRP): $99.99Buy at AmazonBuy at eBay
Why we chose it
Though it can be difficult to find a telecommunications device that gels with senior citizens or their discerning carers, CPR Call Blocker's CS900 seems to fill this particular niche comfortably with its 3.3 /5 star rating (after 49 Amazon reviews).
As the product name would suggest, the CS900 offers a range of protective benefits for inexperienced phone users – a scammer-thwarting "Call Block" button being chief among them. Likewise, there's an emergency button that sends texts to five preset numbers, plus the dial pad and screen elements here are all designed with easy viewing and ease of use in mind.
Best flip phone for kids: Doro 4G Flip Phone
- Curious kids can't stumble into any browser, email or app store function
- Comes with a surprisingly decent video/radio player function
- Some reviewers reporting poor after-sale technical support
- The odd reviewer found the larger sized buttons a bit sticky
Price (RRP): $110.22Buy at Amazon
Why we chose it
Selecting a phone for your child – particularly their very first one – doesn't have to be a difficult decision, thanks to Doro's 4G Flip Phone. It's a product that's earned an Amazon star rating of 3.8/5 from 73 user reviews, and its made-for-seniors features transpose perfectly to younger phone users too.
In the set-up phase, parents can effectively hide away any unwanted apps/functions and features. Also, you can have a bit more peace of mind with a dedicated SOS button that immediately places a loudspeaker-enabled call to a predetermined number. Lastly, you're getting 4GB of internal memory (expandable to 64GB), Bluetooth/Wi-Fi capabilities and a modest 2MP Camera.
Best products chosen
- Our editorial team compared flip phones from brands found in major supermarkets across Australia as well as online retailers.
- We examined hundreds of customer reviews and ratings as well as expert reviews.
- The products on this list are chosen by our editorial team and are not selected based on commercial relationships.
More guides on Finder
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
Today's best Finder Daily deals include: 35% off Dungeons & Dragons, 50% off New Balance shoes, Cheap Echo Show 5 smart home hubs.
Best bassinets in Australia
These are the 8 best bassinets you can buy right now in Australia.
HyperX Cloud Stinger Core Wireless Review: Affordable lightweight gaming headphones
It’s not the fanciest gaming headset around, and you’ll either love or loathe its lightweight design, but the HyperX Cloud Stinger Core Wireless certainly gets the gaming job done at moderate price point.
Easter 2021 sales: 50% off at rebel + heaps more bargains
We've rounded up the best Easter deals on furniture, fitness equipment and more.
Oral-B iO9 Electric Toothbrush Review: Say hello to your new toothbrush master
Oral B’s smarter electric toothbrush provides an exceptional cleaning experience, but its price point will put it out of the reach of many.
Motorola Moto e7 review: Low cost phone with balanced compromises
The Motorola Moto e7 primarily sells on the fact that it’s rather cheap, and with that comes a well-balanced set of compromises.
Best NAS devices in Australia
Upgrade your home storage with one of the best NAS devices available on store shelves here in Australia.
Best nappy bags in Australia
These are the 9 best nappy bags you can buy right now in Australia.
Best booster seats in Australia
These are the 6 best booster seats you can buy right now in Australia.
Samsung Galaxy Buds Pro review: Samsung’s Pro sounding headphones
Samsung’s Galaxy Buds Pro are it’s best headphones yet, but they’re best suited to existing Samsung Galaxy phone owners.
Ask an Expert