Best electric guitars in Australia
Need to buy an electric guitar? We've selected the top six electric guitars available in Australia for a variety of playing styles and budgets.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
The best electric guitars in Australia
- Best overall electric guitar for beginners: Rise by Sawtooth Electric Guitar Pack ¾ Size, Right-Handed Sunburst
- Best electric-acoustic guitar for beginners: Glen Burton GA204BCO-BK Acoustic Electric Cutaway Guitar, Black
- Best electric guitar under $1,000: Fender Player Stratocaster Electric Guitar - Pau Ferro LH Fingerboard - Sonic Red
- Best electric guitar under $500: Ibanez GRG 7 String Solid-Body Electric Guitar Right Full Transparent Black Sunburst
- Best electric guitar under $300: Rocktile Warhead MG-3008 Electric Guitar
- Best electric guitar for kids: Stedman Pro 30-inch Kids Electric Guitar Pack
How did we pick this list?
The products on this list are based on extensive research and real customer reviews. For each category, we carefully selected parameters based on our research and identified the products with the highest review score within those parameters.
Best overall electric guitar for beginners: Rise by Sawtooth Electric Guitar Pack ¾ Size Right-Handed Sunburst
- By many accounts, well constructed and has nice action
- Amp delivers respectable volume (but not enough to annoy parents/neighbours)
- 9-volt power adapter not included
- Scattered reports of damage in transit issues
Price (RRP): $191.59Buy at Amazon
Why we chose it
Beginners out for a bargain really ought to set their sights on this Sawtooth Electric Guitar Pack as it comes with 4.2 out of 5 stars (after 604 Amazon reviews). The axe itself is quite decent – a 24-inch scale length that boasts a basswood body, fetching chrome hardware and a maple neck with dot inlays.
Better yet, this is a cost-effective collection of everything a budding guitarist will need in the long run. You'll be getting a reasonably powerful portable amp (sans batteries or power cord), a wire to hook up with, a guitar strap, a pitch pipe and a gig bag to keep it all safe.
Best electric-acoustic for beginners: Glen Burton GA204BCO BK Acoustic Electric Cutaway Guitar Black
- Majority of reviewers report a pleasing tone for the price
- This is quite a cost-effective, high-quality package deal
- The odd reviewer reporting iffy connections with the onboard electronics
- One reviewer questions the structural integrity (after dropping, mind you)
Price (RRP): $877.79Buy at Amazon
Why we chose it
If you want to invest in a decent acoustic-electric but you don't wish to pay absolute top dollar, the Glen Burton is a standout option with a 4.4/5 star rating after 772 Amazon reviews. It's quite impressive in terms of build quality and looks (it comes with a flame top plus basswood back and sides). You're also getting a rosewood fingerboard and catalpa bridge and neck.
Better yet, it's sold in a cost-effective pack that includes all of the extras you'll need down the road. Along with the all-important soft case bag, you'll be covered for strings, picks and a strap. There's even a modest 10-watt amp as well as a handy clip-on tuner to keep you sounding spot on.
Best electric guitar under $1,000: Fender Player Stratocaster Electric Guitar Pau Ferro LH Fingerboard Sonic Red
- The undeniable street cred of owning a Strat
- Superior sound and build quality
- Isolated reports of the frets being too sharp
- Some string buzz reported for the top three strings
Price (RRP): $999Buy at Amazon
Why we chose it
If you're not afraid to wade into the deep end for your musical craft, this Sonic Red Fender Player Stratocaster comes highly recommended with a 4.6/5 star rating (after 199 Amazon reviews). It has a striking Alder body with gloss finish, a 9.5-inch Radius fingerboard and a "Modern C"-shaped neck profile. Forget a case – this is the sort of guitar you mount on your wall when you're not using it.
Basically, if you want a good, playable, gig-friendly Strat for quite a bit less than the next step up (the much-coveted American pro/elite series), then pick one of these up.
Best electric guitar under $500: Ibanez GRG 7 String Solid Body Electric Guitar
- Intonation is spot on
- Comes in blue and black
- Isolated report of a cracked body
- Seven strings might intimidate a beginner
Price (RRP): $463.04Buy at Amazon
Why we chose it
The Ibanez GRG 7 String comes highly recommended with a 4.3/5 star rating (after 56 Amazon reviews) and is a respectable mid-range option for enthusiasts who know their way around a fretboard. Why the seventh string? It's a luxury for the average guitarist and all but a necessity if your forte is a genre like progressive metal and math rock.
Build-wise, this is impressive for the price point. Expect a comfortable maple neck, smooth frets, good tone and quick action, all delivered in a stylish package.
Best electric guitar under $300: Rocktile Warhead MG3008 Electric Guitar
- Amp is lightweight and highly portable
- Added accessories represent great value for money
- Scattered reports of input jack/connection issues
- Isolated reports of chipped paintwork
Price (RRP): $277.79Buy at Amazon
Why we chose it
For those of you about to rock with a modest budget, we think it's time you saluted the Rocktile Warhead MG-3008 Electric with its 4.4/5 star rating (after 91 Amazon reviews). Clearly built with the metal and heavy rock crowd in mind, this 24-fret beast is an excellent starter axe that can be easily modded (if you so choose).
You certainly won't need to. The average shredder will be more than happy with highlights that include a tremolo bridge and a rosewood fretboard and two humbucker pick-ups (which may be individually selected via a switch). An always appreciated side bonus: this also comes with a 2.5-metre wire.
Best electric guitar for kids: Stedman Pro 30-inch Kids Electric Guitar Pack
- Ready to play out of the box and has the accessories you'll need
- Lots of purchasers report it’s a well-made guitar for the price
- Some reports of case zipper failures
- Isolated reports of amp issues
Price (RRP): $116.43Buy at Amazon
Why we chose it
The journey of a thousand licks must begin somewhere, and the Stedman Pro 30-inch Kids Electric Guitar Pack represents a good first step with a 4.3/5 star rating (after 290 Amazon reviews). What's on offer is a 30-inch guitar that's rocking a 20-inch scale with 21 frets – the perfect set-up for diminutive hands.
The build quality and intonation are quite decent for the asking price. Better yet, this is a complete package that equips your budding guitarist with everything needed to host a gig out of the box: guitar, 5W amp, cable cord, strap, picks, gig bag and extra strings.
Best products chosen
- Our editorial team compared electric guitars from brands found in major supermarkets across Australia as well as online retailers.
- We examined hundreds of customer reviews and ratings as well as expert reviews.
- The products on this list are chosen by our editorial team and are not selected based on commercial relationships.
More guides on Finder
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
Today's best Finder Daily deals include: 50% off car essentials at Catch, half-price meat thermometers, eBay Plus tech sale.
MSI Vigor GK50 Elite Review: Budget basics gaming keyboard
The MSI Vigor GK50 Elite is a simple wired gaming keyboard with good response and easy to use RGB lighting features.
MSI Immerse GH61 Gaming Headset review: A super comfortable gaming headset
The MSI Immerse GH61 locks you into your own gaming world with excellent audio reproduction and a very comfortable frame.
Best carpet shampooers in Australia
We compared hundreds of customer reviews and found the five best carpet shampooers you can buy online in Australia.
Best bike lights in Australia
These are the six best bike lights you can buy in Australia right now.
Best PS4 headsets in Australia
These are the best PS4 headsets you can get your hands on right now in Australia.
Best toys for 1-year-olds in Australia
These are the 7 best toys you can buy for 1-year-olds in Australia.
Best moisturiser for dry skin in Australia
From the best overall face moisturiser for dry skin to the best body moisturiser, hand moisturiser and tinted moisturiser for dry skin, these are the best 7 moisturisers for dry skin you can buy in Australia right now.
Best laptops for students in Australia
These are the six best laptops for students available to buy in Australia for a range of users and categories.
Best French Door Fridges in Australia
These are the 6 best French door fridges you can buy right now in Australia.
Ask an Expert