These cruise lines cater to the needs of travellers 60 years and older.
When you can travel from destination to destination without having to board planes, change hotels and repack, it’s no wonder cruising is a favourite form of travel for seniors.
Each of these ideal cruises for seniors have unique itineraries and activities specifically geared towards different travellers’ interests. From onboard musicals and casinos to onshore excursions guaranteed to get you back to the ship on time, you’ll barely need to lift a finger on your next cruise adventure.
Which cruise lines offer discounts for seniors?
The discounts are not widely advertised, so if you will be 55 or over at the time of sailing, advise the line when booking to see what discount offers they can provide.
Which cruises are best for seniors with disabilities?
Some cruise lines offer more accessible amenities than others, and of these cruise lines, the below five are the ones that stand out the most.
- Holland America: Wheelchair-accessible rooms on all ships and accessible routes throughout the ships
- Princess: Minimum of 31 wheelchair-accessible cabins on each ship and offers wheelchair-friendly excursions available
- Royal Caribbean: Wheelchair-accessible rooms on all ships and select excursions are wheelchair friendly
- Celebrity: Wheelchair-accessible rooms on all ships and customised wheelchair-friendly excursions are available
- Cunard: Wheelchair accessible rooms available on all ships and select excursions are wheelchair friendly
Four things to look out for when booking cruises for seniors
- Accessibility onboard: Depending on your level of mobility, you might like to look into accessibility options on your cruise. Many lines offer wheelchair-accessible rooms and gangways, however it is strongly recommended that you travel with someone who is able to assist you on your cruise. While wheelchair-accessible staterooms may be available, it’s recommended that your wheelchair is collapsible as stateroom door widths vary. Some cruise lines may allow you to pre-reserve a wheelchair on board. It is recommended that you contact the cruise line direct with your requirements so that you can be best catered for while onboard.
- Port accessibility: Not all port excursions have facilities for those with mobility difficulties. You should discuss with the tour operator prior to booking to find out which excursions you can take part in. Many ports in the Mediterranean have facilities for guests with limited mobility. However, some ports, for example those in the Caribbean and the Baltics, may require ships to anchor off shore. In these instances guests will be taken onshore via a boat or tender. If tendering is required, guests using mobility devices may not be able to go onshore. Some tenders may allow guests who are able to embark with minimal assistance to use a collapsible wheelchair. Contact your tour operator to confirm your options before booking your tour.
- Port excursions: Many cruise lines offer a variety of port excursions. Seniors may prefer tours that don’t require much physical activity. Look out for excursions and sightseeing tours that utilise a minibus or coach with minimal walking involved.
- Scenic cruises and destinations: Scenic cruises are some of the most popular options for seniors as they allow you to witness the majesty of the landscape from the deck of the boat. Popular scenic destinations for this include New Zealand and Alaska. Transatlantic and transpacific cruises are also ideal for seniors as they provide guests with ample time to explore the ship.
Importance of cruise travel insurance for seniors
Any holiday comes with it's risks, and when you consider the points above like onboard and port accessibility, shore excursions and the destinations visited combined with the possibility of limited mobility and other pre-existing health conditions that come with age, it's important to make sure that you're covered should anything not go according to plan.
Once you've booked your cruise, make sure to consider seniors travel insurance policies for cruises to find a plan that's best suited for your needs and destination.
Top cruise deals and flights
Feature image: Princess Cruises