Best cruises for families on holiday
Cash in some quality family time on these family-friendly cruise lines.
Multi-generational holidays are the new family reunions. They’re an ideal way to catch up, unwind and explore with loved ones without having to worry about taking care of accommodation, food and transportation between ports.
Whether you’re a family of three or a party of 20, these lines are the specialists when it comes to organising family cruises that tick all the boxes for young and old. All you need to do is choose the destination.
1. Disney Cruise Line
Disney has secured its spot as a magical brand the whole family can enjoy, and its cruises are no different.
There’s a little bit of magic in store for every member of your crew when you board a Disney cruise ship. Adults have freedom to escape to their own heavenly oases onboard while little ones can play in supervised youth groups or in activity playground.
- Activities for the whole family: Broadway-style live shows, Walt Disney theatre, karaoke, trivia, music and dance deck parties, family-friendly port activities and kids’ pools.
- Family cabins: Disney’s liners have deluxe family staterooms that are ideal for up to five guests. For larger families, Disney Dream and Disney Fantasy have over 500 connecting cabins.
- Family discounts: Discounted rates for children sharing a cabin with parents.
Go to Disney Cruise Line website
View coupon code for Disney Cruise Line
2. Norwegian Cruise Line
Norwegian has a reputation for providing some of the best entertainment at sea for young and old.
Featuring Broadway-style musicals, areas for various sports and pools complete with waterslides and deckchairs, Norwegian’s activities aim to bring families together onboard. If you’re looking for the best European cruise for families, this line is it.
- Activities for the whole family: Broadway musicals, mini-golf, bowling, circus and magician shows, water parks, rope courses and rock climbing walls.
- Family cabins: Connecting staterooms are available for multi-generational parties. Family staterooms are best for families of four.
- Family discounts: On most sailings, Norwegian offers discounts for the third to the eighth guest in one party.
Go to Norwegian Cruise Line website
View coupon code for Norwegian Cruise Line
3. Carnival Cruise Line
Not all families are made the same, so Carnival gives you and your brood plenty of options to play it your way.
With basketball courts and a fast and steep water slide for kids, and a casino and adults-only retreat for parents, there’s a reason why Carnival is referred to as the “fun” cruise line. It currently offers more than 200 family-friendly activities across
- Activities for the whole family: Dr Seuss-themed entertainment, water slides, mini-golf, swimming pools, basketball and dive-in movies.
- Family cabins: Family staterooms can accommodate up to four. Interconnecting rooms are available
- Family discounts: Discounts for third and fourth guests in the same room.
Go to Carnival Cruise Line website
View coupon code for Carnival Cruise Line
4. P&O Cruises Australia
With home ports in Australia, New Zealand and Asia, P&O keeps the family trip close to home with a shorter journey to the wharf, making it one of the best cruises for families in Australia.
As a bonus for older families, P&O limits the number of children who embark, so you can expect a good mix of ages onboard its family-friendly fleet. As an estimate, around one third of its passengers are either families or multi-generationals.
- Activities for the whole family: Movies by the pool, theatre performances, live music and trivia and game shows.
- Family cabins: Three- and four-berth rooms. Cabin configurations tend to be twin beds with one to two upper bunk beds.
- Family discounts: Discounts available for groups of 16 guests or more.
Go to P&O Cruises Australia website
View coupon code for P&O Cruises Australia
5. Princess Cruises
While boasting many children’s activities, the Princess name tends to draw a more mature crowd, making it one of the better options for family reunions and multi-generational parties.
To suit its clientele, Princess offers something for everybody. There are youth clubs for toddlers to teenagers and more mature and leisurely activities that can be enjoyed by older members of the family.
- Activities for the whole family: Cultural festivals and activities, pools, ship tours, basketball, mini-golf, shuffleboard, book club and dance classes.
- Family cabins: These are comprised of two self-contained interconnecting rooms making them best for older children.
- Family discounts: Discounts for third and fourth passengers in the same cabin.
Go to Princess Cruises website
View coupon code for Princess Cruises
6. Royal Caribbean International
Winner of the Top Cruise Lines for Families by Travel + Leisure readers in 2013, Royal Caribbean creates holidays the whole family can enjoy.
It achieves this with a blend of one-of-a-kind kids, family and adult activities both onboard and onshore. These include a skydiving simulator and surfing simulator. Royal Caribbean also offers group discounts and customisation options.
- Activities for the whole family: Roller skating rink, bumper cars, circus school, surf simulator, mini-golf, exclusive DreamWorks shows and parades.
- Family cabins: Generous family and two-bedroom cabins can accommodate up to eight people.
- Family discounts: Discounts for third and fourth passengers in the same cabin.
Go to Royal Caribbean International website
View coupon code for Royal Caribbean International
7. Captain Cook Cruises
When it comes to the best voyages for families in Australia, Captain Cook Cruises is right up there.
Aussie born and bred, this cruise line sails in and around our nation. It features up to week-long cruises through the Murray River and the Fiji islands. Cruise ships to Fiji have kids’ clubs, childminding services, swimming pools and entertainment.
- Activities for the whole family: Sightseeing, whale watching, hop-on/hop-off and adventurous shore excursions.
- Family cabins: Family cabins are available on Fiji cruises. The Murray Darling paddlesteamer has rooms capable of accommodating up to three people.
- Family discounts: Child discounts available when booking adjoining staterooms on Fiji cruises. Discounts for triple occupancy available on Murray Darling cruises.
Go to Captain Cook Cruises website
View coupon code for Captain Cook Cruises
Family cabins compared
|Family room types||Maximum occupancy per room||Are interconnecting rooms available?|
|Disney Cruise Line||Deluxe family staterooms||5||Yes|
|Norwegian Cruise Line||Family staterooms||4||Yes|
|Carnival Cruise Line||Family staterooms||4||Yes|
|P&O Cruises Australia||Quad-share rooms and suites||4||Yes|
|Princess Cruises||Family suites with balcony||4||Yes|
|Royal Caribbean International||Family and two-bedroom cabins||8||Yes|
|Captain Cook Cruises||Family rooms (Fiji), paddle steamer cabins (Murray Darling)||4 (Fiji) and 3 (Murray Darling)||Yes|
Top cruise deals and flights
10% off adventure cruises
Get 10% off adventure cruises at Peregrine Adventures.
Up to 20% off select 2017 departures: Arctic Earlybird sale
Get up to 20% off select 2017 departures to Iceland, Greenland, Spitsbergen and Baffin Island. Valid for select 2017 departures only.
15% off select Norway Expedition cruises
Get 15% off select Norway Expedition cruises at G Adventures when you use the code at checkout.
25% off Cruise the Norwegian Fjords
Simply use the code to get 25% off the Norwegian Fjords cruise at G Adventures.
30% off select 2017 Mekong River Adventures
Get 30% off select 2017 Mekong river adventures at G Adventures.
30% off select 2017 Ganges and Burgundy River Adventures
Save 30% on select Ganges and Burgundy Riverboat departures for travel between January-June 2017.
Free $400 credit + 50% off deposits on Royal Caribbean sailings
Valid on sailings of five nights or more departing between 1 January and 22 April. Get US$400 onboard credit with select Australia, New Zealand, South Pacific, Transpacific and Asia sailings.
$25 per person deposit: Xmas Wrapped Up
Book now and get your dream cruise for just $25 per person deposit at Cruise Away. Conditions apply.
P&O Cruises from $198
Plus $100 onboard credit on sailings seven nights or longer for P&O Australia's Sizzling Summer Ship-Out Sale. Sample sailings include a 2-night cruise for $198, 3-night cruise for $318 and a 4-night cruise for $348.
Up to 20% off Arctic expeditions
Save on Arctic voyages departing in 2017, excluding North Pole and North Pole Express: Barneo Ice Camp. Excludes triple and quad cabins.
30% off select river cruises
Valid on select river cruises departing before 31 July in the Amazon, Ganges, Mekong and in Burgundy.
30% off select Mekong River cruises
Valid on select Mekong River cruises departing between 1 January and 31 December 2017.
European Christmas cruises from $1270 per person
Valid for departures in December. Book discounted Christmas cruises including Canaries Christmas and Funchal Fireworks and Christmas Markets of Germany and Denmark.
Up to $4500 off staterooms plus onboard credit
Book any Princess sailing and get $50-$300 onboard credit for interior/oceanview bookings and $100-$600 for balcony/suite bookings. Plus, receive up to $4500 off launch fares. Cruises start at $249 per person.
World Cruise Sector Brisbane to Japan for $3,999 per person
Book the World Cruise Sector Brisbane to Japan for $3,999 per person. Includes cruise, hotels, rail, tour, flight and transfers
20% off Amazon riverboat journeys
Valid on select riverboat journeys in Peru until 15 December.
Browse all current deals with Princess Cruises
Find Princess Cruises’ best weekly cruise offers here.
Up to 79% off Carnival Cruises
Save up to 79% on the brochure rate of Carnival Cruise sailings when you book with CruiseAway.
Get discounted flights, hotels and everything else
Discover the world of low cost travel with BYOJet.
Save on last-minute bookings
Find discounts on last-minute travel bookings at Expedia