Best cruises for families on holiday
Cash in on some quality family time on these family-friendly cruise lines.
Multi-generational holidays are the new family reunions. They’re an ideal way to catch up, unwind and explore with loved ones without having to worry about taking care of accommodation, food and transportation between ports.
Whether you’re a family of three or a party of 20, these lines are the specialists when it comes to organising family cruises that tick all the boxes for young and old. All you need to do is choose the destination.
1. Disney Cruise Line via CruiseAway
Disney has secured its spot as a magical brand the whole family can enjoy, and its cruises are no different.
There’s a little bit of magic in store for every member of your crew when you board a Disney cruise ship. Adults have freedom to escape to their own heavenly oases onboard while little ones can play in supervised youth groups or in activity playground.
- Activities for the whole family: Broadway-style live shows, Walt Disney theatre, karaoke, trivia, music and dance deck parties, family-friendly port activities and kids’ pools.
- Family cabins: Disney’s liners have deluxe family staterooms that are ideal for up to five guests. For larger families, Disney Dream and Disney Fantasy have over 500 connecting cabins.
- Family discounts: Discounted rates for children sharing a cabin with parents.
Go to Disney Cruise Line via CruiseAway website
View coupon codes for Disney Cruise Line via CruiseAway
2. Norwegian Cruise Line
Norwegian has a reputation for providing some of the best entertainment at sea for young and old.
Featuring Broadway-style musicals, areas for various sports and pools complete with waterslides and deckchairs, Norwegian’s activities aim to bring families together onboard. If you’re looking for the best European cruise for families, this line is it.
- Activities for the whole family: Broadway musicals, mini-golf, bowling, circus and magician shows, water parks, rope courses and rock climbing walls.
- Family cabins: Connecting staterooms are available for multi-generational parties. Family staterooms are best for families of four.
- Family discounts: On most sailings, Norwegian offers discounts for the third to the eighth guest in one party.
Go to Norwegian Cruise Line website
View coupon codes for Norwegian Cruise Line
3. Carnival Cruise Line via CruiseAway
Not all families are made the same, so Carnival gives you and your brood plenty of options to play it your way.
With basketball courts and a fast and steep water slide for kids, and a casino and adults-only retreat for parents, there’s a reason why Carnival is referred to as the “fun” cruise line. It currently offers more than 200 family-friendly activities across
- Activities for the whole family: Dr Seuss-themed entertainment, water slides, mini-golf, swimming pools, basketball and dive-in movies.
- Family cabins: Family staterooms can accommodate up to four. Interconnecting rooms are available
- Family discounts: Discounts for third and fourth guests in the same room.
Go to Carnival Cruise Line via CruiseAway website
View coupon codes for Carnival Cruise Line via CruiseAway
4. Royal Caribbean International
Winner of the Top Cruise Lines for Families by Travel + Leisure readers in 2013, Royal Caribbean creates holidays the whole family can enjoy.
It achieves this with a blend of one-of-a-kind kids, family and adult activities both onboard and onshore. These include a skydiving simulator and surfing simulator. Royal Caribbean also offers group discounts and customisation options.
- Activities for the whole family: Roller skating rink, bumper cars, circus school, surf simulator, mini-golf, exclusive DreamWorks shows and parades.
- Family cabins: Generous family and two-bedroom cabins can accommodate up to eight people.
- Family discounts: Discounts for third and fourth passengers in the same cabin.
Go to Royal Caribbean International website
View coupon codes for Royal Caribbean International
5. Captain Cook Cruises
When it comes to the best voyages for families in Australia, Captain Cook Cruises is right up there.
Aussie born and bred, this cruise line sails in and around our nation. It features up to week-long cruises through the Murray River and the Fiji islands. Cruise ships to Fiji have kids’ clubs, childminding services, swimming pools and entertainment.
- Activities for the whole family: Sightseeing, whale watching, hop-on/hop-off and adventurous shore excursions.
- Family cabins: Family cabins are available on Fiji cruises. The Murray Darling paddlesteamer has rooms capable of accommodating up to three people.
- Family discounts: Child discounts available when booking adjoining staterooms on Fiji cruises. Discounts for triple occupancy available on Murray Darling cruises.
Go to Captain Cook Cruises website
View coupon codes for Captain Cook Cruises
Family cabins compared
|Family room types||Maximum occupancy per room||Are interconnecting rooms available?|
|Disney Cruise Line||Deluxe family staterooms||5||Yes|
|Norwegian Cruise Line||Family staterooms||4||Yes|
|Carnival Cruise Line||Family staterooms||4||Yes|
|P&O Cruises Australia||Quad-share rooms and suites||4||Yes|
|Princess Cruises||Family suites with balcony||4||Yes|
|Royal Caribbean International||Family and two-bedroom cabins||8||Yes|
|Captain Cook Cruises||Family rooms (Fiji), paddle steamer cabins (Murray Darling)||4 (Fiji) and 3 (Murray Darling)||Yes|
Top cruise deals and flights