It’s official, these are the top toys for Christmas 2018
According to data from eBay Australia, these are the toys that will be on every kid's wish list this Christmas.
Once again, eBay Australia has released its scarily accurate list of top toy trends and predictions for Christmas 2018. In previous years, this list has predicted the popularity of sold-out toys like Hatchimals and fidget spinners. This year, there are a few expected items, a few surprises and a definite trend towards retro remakes.
From Fortnite Monopoly to the FurReal Munchin' Rex and everything in between, the list is based on eBay's huge pool of trending toy data and the selections of eBay's team of toy experts.
eBay Australia and New Zealand chief marketing officer Julie Nestor said: "Every month over 11 million Australians visit eBay for inspiration and, of course, to shop. We've used this unparalleled pool of buying and selling data – as well as industry trends – to predict the hottest toys for 2018."
"This year, we've seen a shift away from screens, with kids being encouraged to play in new ways, often involving the rest of the family, and parents couldn't be happier. What we really love seeing is the resurgence of some retro favourites – from Polly Pocket and Tamagotchi to Betty Spaghetty - allowing big kids to revisit their childhood."
Without further ado, here's the list of the top 15 toys for kids and top 15 toys for big kids this Christmas. Or scroll down to read more about the top toy trends for 2018. And don't forget you can shop all these top picks at eBay's Toy Hub.
Hottest toys for Christmas 2018
|Top 15 toys for kids||Top 15 toys for big kids|
|Monopoly Cheaters||Super NES Classic|
|Ride-On Four Wheel Drive||The Original Tamagotchi|
|Fisher-Price Think & Learn Teach 'n Tag||Barbie Dream House|
|Chow Crown Game||Bop It|
|furReal Ricky, the Trick-Lovin' Pup||Cabbage Patch Kids, Barnyard Kids|
|LOL Surprise! Bigger Surprise!||Betty Spaghetty|
|Poopsie Slime Unicorn||Hot Wheels Monster Jam Tour Favourites|
|Hatchimals Hatchibabies||Beanie Babies|
|Transformers: Augmented Bee Vision||Beyblade Burst|
|Nerf N-Strike Elite Infinus||Razor Scooter Spark|
|Hot Wheels Corkscrew Crash Track Set||Diabolo Yo-Yo|
|littleBits Avengers Hero Inventor Kit||Airhogs Supernova|
|Fingerlings Unicorn||Funko Pop toys|
|LEGO Fantastic Beasts Grindelwald's Escape Playset||LEGO VW Beetle|
Top toy trends 2018
This year's data has shown that toy trends are certainly cyclical and that the wave of retro nostalgia in our culture will not be over anytime soon.
1. Interactive and furry friends: Remember Furbies? Well once again, interactive toys have hit the big time with the popularity of Fingerlings. Other toys in this category to look out for include Pomsies, Fingerlings Unicorns, Poopsie Slime Unicorns and furReal Ricky. For context, sales of Pomsies have soared 600% over the past three months.
2. Unwrapping the fun: The element of surprise makes any gift great and toys that surprise are no different. From the LOL Surprise! Bigger Surprise! range, which has seen a 48% growth year-on-year, to Hatchimals Hatchibabies – the real fun is finding out what's inside.
3. Never bored: In 2018, it's back to basics with board games the whole family can play. In fact, eBay data reveals that Aussies are moving away from screens, with the sale of board and traditional games up 147% compared to 2015. The top picks are Monopoly Cheaters Edition and the Chow Crown Game.
4. Comeback kids: From Polly Pockets to Tamagotchis and Betty Spaghetty, nostalgic retro toys are coming back for a new generation of kids to enjoy with their parents. First launched in the 1980s, Polly Pocket has been rebooted this year, while the Super NES Classic feels just like the original 90s console with Super Mario and Donkey Kong.
Super Nintendo Entertainment System
5. From the big screen to the Christmas tree: If it's big at the movies, it's big under the Christmas tree. This year Aussies are gearing up for the latest Transformers movie, Bumblebee and the Harry Potter spinoff Fantastic Beasts. In fact, Fantastic Beasts items jumped up by 1,300% during the month of August when filming began.
6. Unplugged fun: Toys that encourage imagination or creativity or simply get you outdoors round out the list of trends. Inspire hours of imaginative play with the littleBits Avengers Inventor Kit or the latest from the LEGO range. Get the kids their first set of wheels with a Ride-On Four Wheel Drive or the new take on the classic scooter, the Razor Scooter Spark.
- Beauty product of the week: Alpha H Liquid Gold Ultimate Perfecting Mask
- KENZO X Specsavers eyewear is here and this is why you need it
- What’s in the Charlotte Tilbury Glowgasm collection?
- Best sales of the week: SurfStitch, eBay and ghd
- When you can get your hands on the adidas Yeezy Boost 700 Analog