Best airline for business class in Australia
The best Australian airlines when you want to fly business class.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Is business class worth its hefty price tag? Many travellers opt to pay that extra money to avoid jet lag and discomfort on long haul flights. Wider seats, better food and exclusive lounge access are just some of the benefits you get when you fly at the front of the plane.
Read on to find what you can expect when you fly with an Australian business class airline. With our exclusive travel deals and coupon codes, you just might be able to fly business at economy prices.
Australian business class airlines compared
We compare business class benefits and extras across Australia's domestic carriers below.
Note that Rex does not offer business class on their domestic carriers. However they may offer some luxuries in economy, such as extra legroom, for an additional fee.
|Airline||Alliance||Airport lounge access||Baggage allowance||Seat pitch||Seat width||Seat type||Laptop power||Wi-Fi||Video type||On board lounge|
|Jetstar||Oneworld (codeshare with Qantas)||Yes||2 x 7kg (hand carry),|
|96.52cm||48.26cm||Recliner||AC power||No||On-Demand TV||None|
|Qantas||Oneworld||Yes||2 x 7kg (hand carry),|
|198.12cm||54.61cm||Flat bed||AC power||Yes||On-Demand TV||Yes|
|Virgin Australia||Star Alliance||Yes||2 x 7kg (hand carry),|
2 x 32kg (checked)
|201.93cm||55.88cm||Flat bed||DC Power||Yes||On-Demand TV||Yes|
What business class perks are there?
There is more to flying business class than bragging rights. Travellers who fork out that additional money enjoy various perks and benefits, including:
- Loyalty points and benefits. The frequent flyer programs offer points for every mile that you fly, and may also offer more rewards for choosing a business class fare. These points can then be used to redeem airfares or get upgrades on future flights.
- Airport lounge access. Most business class tickets offer complimentary airport lounge access.
- Baggage allowance. Enjoy increased baggage allowance when you fly business class. This could include both your checked bags and your carry-on, depending on the airline.
- Seat recline and seat width. Business class offers more space to recline and wider seats than economy.
- Legroom. There is more legroom when you fly business.
- Beds. Business class seats may recline into fully flat beds and have full aisle access, depending on the airline.
- Work-friendly space. Your business class seat should have a power supply and/or a desk so you can work comfortably.
- On-board Wi-Fi. While only some airlines offer Wi-Fi onboard at an extra cost to economy customers, it is usually free for business class passengers.
- In-flight entertainment. Business class passengers have full access to on-demand in-flight entertainment.
- Dining: Enjoy premium dining with proper tableware when you fly business class.
- Onboard lounge. Your business class ticket includes access to any onboard lounge or bar.
- Amenity kits. The amenity kits that you get as a business class flyer are stylish and usually contain branded skincare products. These are provided by most carriers for business class passengers.
- Storage room. In addition to the overhead lockers, the business class cabin provides additional storage for your belongings. This is generally included on larger carriers thought not so much on budget carriers.
- Staff-to-passenger ratio. With more flight attendants per passenger, there’s more attentive service in business class.
Image: Virgin Australia
What types of business class seats are there?
- Recliner. This type of seat has a footrest and reclines as far back as 160° from the base. It is comfortable to sit in for short-haul flights but not comfortable to sleep in.
- Angle lie-flat. The angle lie-flat seat allows you to recline up to 180°, but the awkward angle means that you might slowly slide off your seat if you try to sleep.
- Flatbed. The flatbed is by far the most comfortable seat to sleep in as it can be reclined to a fully horizontal position.
- Suites. For ultimate privacy, pre-book a suite. It’s essentially an individual cabin with your own bed, workstation and entertainment system.
Three best business class airlines in Australia
Jetstar Business Class is only available on selected routes. Although not as impressive or extensive as other airlines, it is a great option if you want to fly business class at economy prices.
- Earn Qantas Frequent Flyer points
- No change fees but fare difference applies
- Dining options include gourmet selections and award-winning wines
Australia’s national carrier is a firm favourite for long haul flights in business class. It features superb lounges, outstanding service and the award-winning Skybed – perfect for relaxing, working or sleeping.
- Complimentary chauffeur service upon arrival
- Warm, friendly and attentive service
- Onboard dining features seasonal dishes designed by award-winning chefs
3. Virgin Australia
Richard Branson’s carrier of choice, Virgin Australia is part of the larger Virgin brand and offers business class benefits before you even get on the plan. Upon arrival at the airport or terminal, you’ll receive a complimentary newspaper and pre-flight drink.
- Option to pre-book limousine service when you fly business international long-haul both ways
- Menu and drinks designed by renowned Australian chef Luke Mangan
- The new business class cabins launched in 2016 boast wider seats, extra storage and extra large screens
Ready to fly? Book your business class seat using these travel coupons and deals:
More guides on Finder
Greenest airlines in Australia
The Finder Green Awards have recognised the airlines who are committing to a greener future.
How airlines are keeping you safe during the pandemic
Fly Well packs, pre-screenings, increased cleaning and more. Here's what to expect when you fly again.
Cheap flights to Christchurch (CHC) you can book in 2022
From deals to travel times to airlines, we’ve got the information you need to book your flight to Christchurch.
Flexible flights: 15 airlines and sites where you can book
Want peace of mind on your next trip? These airlines are offering you flexibility when you need it most.
Cheap flights to Queensland you can book in 2022
Secure flights to Brisbane, Cairns, Gold Coast, Townsville and more with this guide to finding cheap flights to Queensland.
Cheap Lord Howe Island (LDH) flights for 2022
Find all of the flight and transportation information you need for your upcoming trip to Lord Howe Island.
Cheap flights to Newcastle (NTL) for 2022
Plan your trip to Newcastle with this guide that includes everything you need to know about booking flights and transport.
Cheap flights to Coffs Habour (CFS) and deals for 2022
Find out how much you should be paying for flights, the best time to book and transport options with our guide for booking flights to Coffs Harbour.
Cheap flights to Tasmania for 2022
From the best prices to where the airport is, here is everything you need to know about flying to Tasmania.
Australian Open flight deals for 2022
Find all the Australian Open 2022 flight deals right here.
Ask an Expert