Best acoustic guitars in Australia
Let our experts help you pluck a great guitar from the overwhelming online options.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
The best acoustic guitars in Australia
- Best acoustic guitar overall: Fender Malibu classic
- Best acoustic guitar under $500: S.Yairi Compact Acoustic Series Mini acoustic guitar YM --02 / MH Mahogany
- Best acoustic guitar under $1,000: Glen Burton GA204BCO-BK Acoustic-Electric Cutaway Guitar, Black
- Best premium acoustic guitar: Cordoba GK Studio Negra Acoustic Electric
- Best acoustic guitar for beginners: Beginner 36" Classical Acoustic Guitar
- Best acoustic guitar strings: Ernie Ball Earthwood Light Phosphor Bronze Acoustic String Set.011 - .052
How did we pick this list?
The guitars chosen for this list are based on extensive research and real customer reviews. For each category, we carefully selected parameters based on our research and identified the products with the highest review score within those parameters.
Best acoustic guitar overall : Fender Malibu classic
- Reviewers report it is lightweight, easy to play and has a pleasing tone
- Striking colour makes it a great display/mounting choice
- Some isolated reports of cloudy paintwork around the headstock
- Some reviewers felt the body is deeper than expected for a 3/4 guitar
Price (RRP): $1,830Buy at Amazon
Why we chose it
For those of you who want to skip the selection rigmarole and just get strumming with the best, Fender’s Malibu Classic comes highly recommended with 4.5/5 stars (after 130 Amazon reviews). Rocking the distinctive Fender-exclusive Malibu body shape, this eye-catching turquoise number even comes with a protective deluxe gig bag to help keep it pristine.
Build-wise, you’re looking at top-of-the-line, uncompromising master craftsmanship here. The Malibu Classic consists of natural solid mahogany bodywork and a painted top that’s solid Sitka spruce. Last but not least, the innards include a Fishman-designed pickup/preamp set-up, and this premium instrument also comes with a warranty.
Best acoustic guitar under $500 : S.Yairi Compact Acoustic Series Mini acoustic guitar YM --02 / MH Mahogany
Why we chose it
If you're ok with making a small body size sacrifice, the S.Yairi Compact Acoustic Series Mini boasts 4.1/5 stars (after 147 Amazon reviews). Important note for owners of adult hands: though this is a diminutive 1/2 guitar, in the right (sized) hands, it can still produce pleasing results.
Spec-wise, you're looking at a primarily mahogany build with a walnut bridge, spruce top and chrome hardware. Also, depending on where you shop, you can usually pick up the YM-02 series in its standard walnut colouring, a lighter sandy tone or the always appreciated black.
Best acoustic guitar under $1,000 : Glen Burton GA204BCO-BK Acoustic-Electric Cutaway Guitar, Black
- Majority of reviewers report a pleasing tone for the price
- This is quite a cost-effective, high-quality package deal
- The odd reviewer reporting iffy connections with the onboard electronics
- One reviewer questions the structural integrity (after dropping, mind you)
Price (RRP): $877.79Buy at Amazon
Why we chose it
If you're after a decent acoustic-electric but you don't wish to pay absolute top dollar, the Glen Burton is a standout option with 4.4/5 stars after 772 Amazon reviews. It's quite impressive in terms of build quality and looks (it comes with a flame top, plus basswood back and sides). You're also getting a rosewood fingerboard and catalpa bridge and neck.
Better yet, it's sold in a cost-effective pack that includes all of the acoustic accoutrements. Along with the all-important soft case bag, you'll be covered for strings, picks and a strap. There's even a modest 10-watt amp as well as a handy clip-on tuner to keep you sounding spot on.
Best premium acoustic guitar : Cordoba GK Studio Negra Acoustic Electric
- Many reviewers reporting good tone when used with the right amp
- Reviewers report resonant sound despite the light-weight nature of this guitar
- Some reviewers feel the bass dies too quickly for a flamenco-focused guitar
- Some reviewers feel the action could be a little lower
Price (RRP): $1,373.51Buy at Amazon
Why we chose it
If you're the sort of guitarist who expects and deserves nothing but the best, you'd be well advised to check out Cordoba's GK Studio Negra with its 4.3/5 star rating (after 32 Amazon reviews). As the eagle-eyed among you will have no doubt already gathered, this flamenco guitar is a signature model inspired by The Gipsy Kings. It's the Bamboléo business.
Protected by a Cordoba gig bag, this sumptuous instrument is comprised of Indian rosewood back and sides, and the top is European spruce. Onboard electronics are Fishman Presys Blend and you get the always handy in-built tuner as well. Lastly, it's nice that this comes pre-strung for action with some decent Savarez Cristal Corum strings.
Best acoustic guitar for beginners : Beginner 36 inch Classical Acoustic Guitar
- Reviewers feel this is a solid example of a basic 3/4 classical guitar
- Sturdy design makes it perfect for younger, less careful future musicians
- Some reviewers noted a strong (initial) chemical smell to the product
- The odd reviewer questioned the quality of the pre-strung strings
Price (RRP): $86.05Buy at Amazon
Why we chose it
You have to start somewhere, and the overwhelming word on the street is that Pyle's Beginner 36" Classical Acoustic Guitar is a more than decent option with a 4.3/5 star rating (after 900 Amazon reviews). Once again, what we have here is a handy package deal that includes the major accessories you're going to need in the long run, such as a gig bag, tuner and spare strings.
Be aware that this is a junior scale six-string guitar, which is smaller than usual. All that being said, what's here is a solid, no-fuss construction of a linden wood body, birch headstock and a maple fretboard. It won't turn any heads, but it's a reliable workhorse design.
Best acoustic guitar strings : Ernie Ball Earthwood Light Phosphor Bronze Acoustic String Set.011 - .052
- Ernie Ball strings will provide better tone than most factory-provided strings
- Many reviewers reporting these produce soft, bright tones
- Isolated reports of not getting all six strings in a pack
- Minor reports of faulty string snapping on first tune up
Price (RRP): $14.00Buy at Amazon
Why we chose it
When it comes time to re-string your favourite acoustic, you can't do much better than Ernie Ball's Earthwood Light strings with their 4.7/5 star rating (after 9,429 Amazon reviews). Built for clarity and rich sound, these are woven from 92% copper, 7.7% tin and 0.3% phosphorus wire. They'll last longer than most too, thanks to Element Shield Packaging.
Other benefits include individual packaging for each string, with every mini-bag providing clear identification to aid in quick installs (or to help newcomers who are still learning which thing goes where). The bottom line: in serious guitar circles, Ernie Ball stands a trusted, apex producer of strings.
Best products chosen
- Our editorial team compared guitars from brands found in major supermarkets across Australia as well as online retailers.
- We examined hundreds of customer reviews and ratings as well as expert reviews.
- The products on this list are chosen by our editorial team and are not selected based on commercial relationships.
More guides on Finder
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
Today's best Finder Daily deals include: 70% off Full Body Luxury Massage Chairs, 40% off HelloFresh boxes, 75% off wine at Vinomofo.
Best bassinets in Australia
These are the 8 best bassinets you can buy right now in Australia.
Best NAS drives in Australia
Upgrade your home storage with one of the best NAS devices available on store shelves here in Australia.
Best nappy bags in Australia
These are the 9 best nappy bags you can buy right now in Australia.
Best booster seats in Australia
These are the 6 best booster seats you can buy right now in Australia.
Best raincoats and rain jackets in Australia
We’ve found the nine best raincoats and rain jackets you can buy in Australia right now.
Xbox Series S: Where to buy in Australia
Xbox Series S is a lower-cost alternative to the Xbox Series X. Here's a list of stores where you can buy the console for the best price.
Best pop-up tents in Australia
If you’re searching for a pop-up tent, we can help you find the perfect option for your needs.
8 Best Table Saws in Australia 2021
Whether you’re a hardened tradie, aspiring apprentice or DIY king, any woodwork project needs the best table saw in Australia.
Best baby changing tables in Australia
These are the six best baby changing tables you can buy right now in Australia.
Ask an Expert