30 beauty and makeup hacks you didn’t know you needed
Tips and tricks that will totally change your beauty routine.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Everyone loves a good beauty hack. So we made it our mission to create the ultimate list of totally ingenious beauty, makeup and skincare hacks.
We asked all our friends for their hacks plus we interviewed a high profile makeup artists. We read through countless beauty how-tos and combed all the beauty subreddit for tips. And this is what we've ended up with - a list of 30 of the easiest, coolest and most time-saving tricks you'll ever read. You're welcome.
Source: Image from Pinterest
Source: Instagram user Benefit Australia
1. Use concealer to cover untidy brows if you don't have time to pluck away the stray hairs.
2. Raid your kitchen pantry for a jar of virgin coconut oil. Use it as an in shower body and hair conditioner. The heat of the shower will melt it into a thick liquid you can lather into your hair and on your skin.
3. If you can't be bothered to get a perfect mascara application, just glue on a few individual corner lashes instead. It will take less time and give a more perfect result.
4. Dark circles under your eyes? Mix a little bit of coral or pink lipstick into your concealer. The pink will cancel out the grey-blue of your under eyes.
5. If your bronzer always seems to rub off, use a darker foundation instead. Once it's set, it won't budge.
6. Sick of waiting for your nails to dry? Use quick dry drops. Add a couple of drops to each nail for dry nails in seconds.
7. Pat on your primer with fingers or a sponge rather than rubbing it. Patting it on ensure it fills in any crevices in the skin, giving you an even base.
8. If you're applying foundation with a sponge, add a little primer after you wet it. This stops the sponge from absorbing all your product.
9. Heat your eyelash curler with a hairdryer before using to help your eyelashes hold their curl.
10. Fix broken powder compact rubbing alcohol. Crush the powder up more and pour in the rubbing alcohol. Once the alcohol has evaporated, your compact will be back in tact.
11. Add translucent powder over the top of your lipstick to create a matte finish.
12. Eyeshadows won't blend? Apply a skintone base shadow to make blending easier.
13. If you're short on brush cleanser, wash makeup brushes with baby shampoo.
14. If you've got big pores you want to conceal, use the Wayne Goss method of applying foundation. That is, apply powder first then foundation.
15. Add an extra hit of moisture under your eyes before applying concealer - either a spritz of mist or an eye cream. This will stop the concealer from becoming dry and cracking.
16. Remove your makeup with oil before cleansing. Oils are great at dissolving stubborn makeup like mascara. Try olive oil or jojoba oil.
17. No eyebrow gel? Put a little hairspray on a spoolie and comb them into place.
18. Clean pillow cases regularly to avoid bacteria coming into contact with your face and causing break outs.
19. Also, make sure you regularly disinfect the surface of your phone. The bacteria on your phone can cause pimples on your cheeks.
20. Use your lipstick to add a flush to your cheeks (instead of blush) that matches the rest of your makeup.
21. Always have a light and dark foundation on hand to mix into your regular colour. As your skin changes colour depending on the season, this allows you to create a custom shade all year round.
22. In a makeup compact, store the side of the sponge that touched your face upward facing the mirror so the face oils on the sponge don't soak into the makeup.
23. Apply a small amount of peelable school glue around your cuticles before painting your nails for the perfect, clean finish.
24. Apply tape from the corner of your eye to the end of your eyebrow as a guide for the ultimate eyeliner wing.
25. If you've run out of dry shampoo, just use baby powder.
26. Scaly and dry skin on your arms and legs. Unrefined shea butter is a great moisturiser that will lock in moisture for days and won't leave you greasy. It's cheap too.
27. Suffering from burnt off lashes? Or maybe they've all fallen out after lash extensions? Put a little bit of castor oil on your lashes at night to help them grow faster and longer.
28. Dust an eyeshadow the same colour as your hair along your part. It will make your hair look thicker.
29. Found a mascara brush you really like? After your mascara runs out, keep it and use it to brush your lashes through when you buy a new mascara. You'll have clump free lashes every time.
30. Set your lipstick by colouring your whole lip in with lip liner before applying your lippie. This will make the colour stay much longer.
All the best deals and savings:
More guides on Finder
Amazon Prime Day Australia 2021: All the best deals from Day 2
Here are all the best deals from Amazon Prime Day Australia's second day - including the return of dirt-cheap Nintendo Switch consoles.
Prime Day deal: $100 off Sony’s ‘Bose Killing’ Headphones
Get 33% off Sony WH1000XM3 Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphones during Amazon Prime Day 2021. Here's how to get the deal before it disappears.
How to get $90.95 off Nintendo Switch with Amazon Prime
Amazon Australia is selling the Nintendo Switch video game console for $349 during Prime Day - that's over $120 off the RRP.
Amazon Prime Day’s best deals on big-ticket items: Up to 46% off
From Segways to stand-up paddleboards, these are the best Prime Day savings on the most expensive items.
Nacon RIG 500 Pro HC Gen 2 review: Super comfortable gaming headphones
The Nacon Rig 500 Pro HC headphones have wide console and PC compatibility, Dolby Atmos licensing and a genuinely comfortable design, even for longer gaming sessions.
Oppo Find X3 Neo 5G review: Oppo’s better flagship phone
The Oppo Find X3 Neo lacks the utter flagship features of the Find X3 Pro, but you won't miss them, while you will enjoy its lower price point.
7 health insurance deals to save you money at tax time
Avoid the MLS tax and get a rebate by taking out health insurance. Here are 7 deals that’ll save you money on your tax returns.
Today’s ASX top stocks: Milton Corporation (MLT ↑16.0%), Oneview Healthcare (ONE ↑12.8%)
The 10 biggest movers on the ASX for Tuesday 22 June 2021.
Mobile plans are now more expensive, but here’s a hack to save $200 a year
Telstra, Optus and Vodafone keep raising their prices even as the rest of the market is more affordable than ever.
Ask an Expert