30 beauty and makeup hacks you didn’t know you needed
Tips and tricks that will totally change your beauty routine.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Everyone loves a good beauty hack. So we made it our mission to create the ultimate list of totally ingenious beauty, makeup and skincare hacks.
We asked all our friends for their hacks plus we interviewed a high profile makeup artists. We read through countless beauty how-tos and combed all the beauty subreddit for tips. And this is what we've ended up with - a list of 30 of the easiest, coolest and most time-saving tricks you'll ever read. You're welcome.
Source: Image from Pinterest
Source: Instagram user Benefit Australia
1. Use concealer to cover untidy brows if you don't have time to pluck away the stray hairs.
2. Raid your kitchen pantry for a jar of virgin coconut oil. Use it as an in shower body and hair conditioner. The heat of the shower will melt it into a thick liquid you can lather into your hair and on your skin.
3. If you can't be bothered to get a perfect mascara application, just glue on a few individual corner lashes instead. It will take less time and give a more perfect result.
4. Dark circles under your eyes? Mix a little bit of coral or pink lipstick into your concealer. The pink will cancel out the grey-blue of your under eyes.
5. If your bronzer always seems to rub off, use a darker foundation instead. Once it's set, it won't budge.
6. Sick of waiting for your nails to dry? Use quick dry drops. Add a couple of drops to each nail for dry nails in seconds.
7. Pat on your primer with fingers or a sponge rather than rubbing it. Patting it on ensure it fills in any crevices in the skin, giving you an even base.
8. If you're applying foundation with a sponge, add a little primer after you wet it. This stops the sponge from absorbing all your product.
9. Heat your eyelash curler with a hairdryer before using to help your eyelashes hold their curl.
10. Fix broken powder compact rubbing alcohol. Crush the powder up more and pour in the rubbing alcohol. Once the alcohol has evaporated, your compact will be back in tact.
11. Add translucent powder over the top of your lipstick to create a matte finish.
12. Eyeshadows won't blend? Apply a skintone base shadow to make blending easier.
13. If you're short on brush cleanser, wash makeup brushes with baby shampoo.
14. If you've got big pores you want to conceal, use the Wayne Goss method of applying foundation. That is, apply powder first then foundation.
15. Add an extra hit of moisture under your eyes before applying concealer - either a spritz of mist or an eye cream. This will stop the concealer from becoming dry and cracking.
16. Remove your makeup with oil before cleansing. Oils are great at dissolving stubborn makeup like mascara. Try olive oil or jojoba oil.
17. No eyebrow gel? Put a little hairspray on a spoolie and comb them into place.
18. Clean pillow cases regularly to avoid bacteria coming into contact with your face and causing break outs.
19. Also, make sure you regularly disinfect the surface of your phone. The bacteria on your phone can cause pimples on your cheeks.
20. Use your lipstick to add a flush to your cheeks (instead of blush) that matches the rest of your makeup.
21. Always have a light and dark foundation on hand to mix into your regular colour. As your skin changes colour depending on the season, this allows you to create a custom shade all year round.
22. In a makeup compact, store the side of the sponge that touched your face upward facing the mirror so the face oils on the sponge don't soak into the makeup.
23. Apply a small amount of peelable school glue around your cuticles before painting your nails for the perfect, clean finish.
24. Apply tape from the corner of your eye to the end of your eyebrow as a guide for the ultimate eyeliner wing.
25. If you've run out of dry shampoo, just use baby powder.
26. Scaly and dry skin on your arms and legs. Unrefined shea butter is a great moisturiser that will lock in moisture for days and won't leave you greasy. It's cheap too.
27. Suffering from burnt off lashes? Or maybe they've all fallen out after lash extensions? Put a little bit of castor oil on your lashes at night to help them grow faster and longer.
28. Dust an eyeshadow the same colour as your hair along your part. It will make your hair look thicker.
29. Found a mascara brush you really like? After your mascara runs out, keep it and use it to brush your lashes through when you buy a new mascara. You'll have clump free lashes every time.
30. Set your lipstick by colouring your whole lip in with lip liner before applying your lippie. This will make the colour stay much longer.
All the best deals and savings:
Popular Health & Beauty coupon codes
|Last checked||Code description||Code|
|19 Jan 2021||15% off when you spend $100||FIN****|
|18 Jan 2021||30% off site-wide||30O****|
|5 Oct 2020||10% off orders over $75||FIN****|
|24 Feb 2020||5% off your orders||FIN****|
|15 Jan 2021||Up to 30% off site-wide||RED****|
More guides on Finder
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
Today's best Finder Daily deals include: 50% off car essentials at Catch, half-price meat thermometers, eBay Plus tech sale.
Square vs PayPal
Both Square and PayPal are popular choices, but which payment processor is best for your business needs?
From costs and finance options to what materials you’ll need, learn about bathroom renovations in this comprehensive guide.
Oz Hair and Beauty discount codes and coupons January 2021
Oz Hair and Beauty has everything you need to look great and feel fabulous. Hair, makeup, skincare and fragrance covered.
How to start a YouTube channel
Read the key points of starting a YouTube channel, including the equipment you'll need and the legal considerations to keep in mind.
Treadmill removal services
Here’s how you can ensure your treadmill is moved safely and at a convenient time.
How to start an event photography business
From practical steps to key legal documents, here's your checklist for launching an event photography company.
Moschino discount codes January 2021
Pick up some splurge-worthy pieces for a steal with these Moschino discount codes.
Campervan relocations in Australia | Where to book, what to know
Discover great destinations for campervan relocations for your adventure across Australia.
Gifts Australia promo codes January 2021: Get up to 70% off instantly
Make Gifts Australia your go-to for great gifting ideas and solutions. Score a discount with one of these promo codes.
Even more shopping deals
Ask an Expert