Beats Powerbeats Pro Review
Quick Verdict: If the lighter sound and style of Apple's AirPods leaves you cold, consider the Powerbeats Pro to be their better sounding, more muscular cousins.
- Comfortable fit
- Great battery life
- Balanced sound
- Travel case is huge
- Audio controls may not work on Android
- No charger in the box
- May need to play with bud choice to avoid discomfort
- Only sweat, not water resistant
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder.
Beats as a brand has long traded on its image, its particular bass-heavy tuning and its headphone style above all else.
The Beats Powerbeats Pro take a different path, and it's not hard to see them as the first "Apple" Beats headphones, even though Apple has owned the headphone maker for a good long time now. They're one part Beats ideology, one part Apple technology, and the end result is a quite compelling set of mostly fitness-focused headphones.
- Large earpieces
- You may need to play with bud size to get a comfortable fit
- Carrying case is immense
- Heavy carrying case
- Wide range audio, not just thumping bass
- Integrated Siri for iPhone users
- Works with Android – but only in a rudimentary fashion
- Very easy all-day battery life for most users
- Tricky to get into the charging case
- Why no included charger or wireless charging option?
- Sounds great for day-to-day or workout use
- Best suited to Apple users
For the longest time, owning and using a pair of Beats headphones was as much about the fashion statement as the music, if not in fact more so.
The Beats Powerbeats Pro headphones subvert that equation and not in a small way. The Beats branding is positively subtle, and the overall music presentation is among the very best I've hit in wire-free headphones. They're much more capable than the standard Apple AirPods and are highly recommended
Pricing and availability
The Powerbeats Pro headphones sell in Australia for $349 outright through Apple's web site and selected retailers.