BankSA Credit Card Complimentary Travel Insurance

Make sure you’re eligible and find out exactly what you’re covered under with BankSA credit card complimentary travel insurance.

We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!

BankSA are part of the Westpac Group, so this complimentary credit card travel insurance policy is underwritten by Allianz - the same insurer for Westpac, Bank of Melbourne and St.George. Premium BankSA credit cards offer between three and six months complimentary international travel insurance to cardholders and family members travelling with them.

While complimentary travel insurance can come in handy, it’s important to familiarise yourself with the terms and conditions to make sure you’re eligible for cover before you go on holidays. Read on to find out if BankSA complimentary insurance is suitable for you.

What does this insurance policy guide cover?

Which cards offer complimentary travel insurance?

The BankSA Amplify Signature Visa gives you six months complimentary travel insurance. In this instance, this card is considered Level 1.

If you have the BankSA Amplify Platinum, you’re eligible for three months complimentary international travel insurance. This is a Level 2 credit card. Level 2 cards offer lower benefits than Level 1 cards.

Compare BankSA credit cards here

What are the eligibility requirements?

To be eligible for BankSA credit card complimentary insurance, you must purchase at least $500 of your prepaid travel expenses - flights, accommodation, airport taxes, for example - on your eligible BankSA credit card, have a return travel ticket and be 80 or younger. Pre-existing medical conditions are not covered under this insurance, but you can apply to have any ongoing illnesses covered by calling Allianz or applying for extra cover online.

How do I know if I’m covered and what I’m covered for?

Provided that you meet the eligibility conditions listed above, the travel insurance cover is automatic, so there's no need to call the insurer to activate the insurance. You can find the full terms and conditions online.

Your spouse and dependent children are also eligible for cover under this policy. They must be Australian residents or 457 visa holders, be travelling with you for the entire length of journey and meet the above insurance eligibility requirements. You and your family are given comprehensive benefits including medical and dental. The cover begins when you leave your home and head to the airport or terminal. The cover ends when you arrive back home.

How do I make a claim?

If you want to make a claim, you need to contact Allianz within a month of arriving home. Do this even if you have already contacted the insurer when you were overseas. You can do this by calling 1800 091 710 in Australia.

You must provide proof to Allianz if you want to make a claim, this includes:

  • Your credit card statement showing the purchase of prepaid travel expenses and eligibility for the cover
  • A copy of the police report if you’re claiming for theft
  • Receipts showing the purchase of the items which were stolen
  • A copy of flight tickets if you’re claiming for travel delay
  • If you’re claiming for damage of personal items, Allianz may want the item for inspection
Back to top

What insurances am I covered under?

You get these benefits from Allianz for trauma, accidents and illness overseas.

What does excess mean?

Note: An excess in insurance is basically the amount you must pay towards any claim that you make.
BenefitCover level (Up to)Excess
Medical and hospital expensesLevels 1 and 2 cards

  • Hospital & medical: unlimited
  • Emergency dental: $2,000 per person
  • Bed care patient allowance: $15,000 ($100 per day)
Loss & damage to personal propertyLevel 1 cards

  • $20,000 per person
  • $30,000 per family

Level 2 cards

  • $15,000 per person
  • $20,000 per family
No excess
Cancellation of travel arrangementsLevels 1 and 2 cards

  • Unlimited for covered events.
  • Limits on travel agent's cancellation fee: limited to the lesser of $500 or 15%.
  • Limits on cover for holiday service providers becoming financially insolvent.

Level 1 cards

  • $5,000 cover for insolvency for a service provider on your holiday per person.
  • $10,000 per family

Level 2 cards

  • $3,750 cover for insolvency for a service provider on your holiday per person.
  • $7,500 per family
Journey continuation if there’s a death in your familyLevel 1 cards

  • $5,750 per person
  • $12,500 per family

Level 2 cards

  • $5,250 per person
  • 12,500 per family
Cover to arrange transport for Special EventsLevel 1 cards

  • $3,750

Level 2 cards

  • $3,250
Rental vehicle excess coverLevel 1 cards

  • $5,500

Level 2 cards

  • $5,000
Travel delay (meal and accommodation costs after a 6 hour delay)Levels 1 and 2 cards

  • $500 per person
  • $1,100 per family
Funeral expensesLevels 1 and 2 cardsUnlimitedNo excess
Accidental death benefit (not covered under Transit Accident Insurance)Level 1 cards

  • $50,000 per cardholder
  • $25,000 per spouse / dependent(s)
  • $150,000 per family

Level 2 cards

  • $25,000 per cardholder
  • $25,000 per spouse / dependent(s)
  • $75,000 per family
No excess
Legal Liability InsuranceLevels 1 and 2 cards$2,500,000No excess
Loss of income protectionLevel 1 cards

  • $1,000 per person per week up to 12 weeks

Level 2 cards

  • $750 per person per week up to 12 weeks
No excess
Pet insuranceLevels 1 and 2 cards$50 every 24 hours capped at $500No excess
Hospitalisation from assaultLevels 1 and 2 cards$500No excess
HijackingLevels 1 and 2 cards

  • $250 per person (24 hour period)
  • $20,000 per family
No excess
KidnappingLevels 1 and 2 cards$100,000No excess

Some benefit limits are lower for circumstances where you’re at fault. For example, the loss and damage to personal property benefit covers your personal items to $5,000 only (Level 1 cards) if left unattended in a motor vehicle. Furthermore, there is no cover for personal items left unattended at airports or in taxis.

Medical and hospital expenses

The BankSA credit card insurance will cover the costs of your stay in an overseas hospital if you become sick or injured. This includes a daily allowance for outpatient and inpatient admission. This insurance includes a benefit to pay for a relative to come and visit you in hospital if you need to be escorted back to Australia as well.

You won’t get a benefit when:

  • You get sick from a non-covered pre-existing medical condition
  • You have dental issues from tooth decay resulting from fillings in cavities.
  • You’re eligible to receive another insurance benefit
  • Your illness arises from AIDS, HIV or ARC
  • You get sick from a sexually transmitted disease
  • You get sick from using an illicit drug
  • Your ongoing medical expenses last longer than 12 months

Loss and damage to personal property

The following benefit claim amounts apply to BankSA credit cards with Level 1 complimentary insurance:

  • Clothing and personal valuables, electrical equipment, cameras are covered for $5,000 per item
  • Computers are covered up to $5,500
  • Credit cards and passports are covered up to $550 per person
  • Lost clothing is covered for up to $1,600 per family

The benefit amounts paid to Level 2 cards is lower than the benefits listed above for Level 1 cards. You will have to prove that you own the lost, stolen or damaged items by providing a receipt of purchase to the insurer. If you can’t prove the items are yours, Allianz will only pay a maximum 10% for each claim under the loss and damage to personal property benefit.

Other benefits

  • Rental vehicle excess cover. Covers any excess you have to pay if you do damage to a rental vehicle overseas. BankSA Amplify Signature cardholders have cover for both international and domestic rental vehicle excess insurance.
  • Travel delay. If your flight is delayed by more than six hours you can give the receipts to Allianz and they’ll reimburse you the “reasonable cost” of your food and accommodation expenses.
  • Legal liability. Personal insurance in case you hurt someone or damage something and are financially liable.
  • Loss of income. If you can’t work when you get home because of injuries on a trip you get a monthly benefit paid for 12 months.
  • Hospitalisation from assault. This will pay you an additional benefit as well as the medical cover if you provide a police report to the insurer.
  • Hijack and detention. Your vehicle is hijacked and you’re detained for more than 12 hours you are paid a benefit for each 24 hours you’re held captive thereafter.
  • Kidnap and ransom. You’re kidnapped and extorted for money, a benefit is paid to compensate you for the sum. This benefit does not apply if you’re in Mexico, the Philippines, Somalia or any country in Central and South America.
  • Special event. You’re going to miss a concert, wedding, sporting or one time event, the insurer will pay for the extra costs of your transport arrangements to make it in time.

Other insurances

These insurances are available on select BankSA premium credit cards as well as international travel insurance. These credit card perks come with strict conditions, be sure to read the product disclosure statement.

  • Purchase Security Insurance. This cover protects items purchased with the BankSA cards against loss, theft and damage worldwide for up to 4 months with Level 1 BankSA cards and 3 months with Level 2 cards.
  • Extended Warranty Insurance. For items purchased in Australia, the manufacturer’s warranty is doubled for periods of up to one year.
  • Price Guarantee Cover. Found a cheaper price on something you’ve just bought? Price Guarantee Cover refunds you the difference.
  • Interstate Flight inconvenience Cover. Get benefits for flights delays, lost luggage, cancellation of travel plans and more through this insurance.
  • Rental Vehicle Excess Insurance (Australia). Covers rental vehicle insurance excess charges at rental companies across Australia.
  • Transit Accident Insurance. Cover for death and injury sustained in a public passenger vehicle.

Hunting, mountaineering, rock climbing and whitewater rafting are not covered by this policy. If you have these types of activities on your holiday itinerary - including skiing - you may want to have a look at a specialised travel insurance policy. We compare travel insurance for all types of holidays.

We can also answer general questions about this policy; however, for information specific to your circumstances, contact the insurance provider directly.

Frequently asked questions

Image: Shutterstock

Back to top

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms of Use, Disclaimer & Privacy Policy and Privacy & Cookies Policy.

6 Responses

    Default Gravatar
    HymanAugust 1, 2016

    Please note for overseas travel insurance, the cover is only available to persons up to and including 80 years of age.

      Default Gravatar
      ChesterAugust 2, 2016

      Hello Hyman,

      Thanks for your enquiry.

      To be eligible for BankSA credit card complimentary insurance, you must purchase at least $500 of your prepaid travel expenses – flights, accommodation, airport taxes, for example – on your eligible BankSA credit card, have a return travel ticket and be 80 or younger.

      I hope I was able to answer your question


    Default Gravatar
    ChristineFebruary 9, 2016

    I have purchased air tickets to Bali for myself and my two grandchildren aged 13 and 14. All airfares have been charged to my Bank SA Platinum Visa. I was of the understanding that both myself and my grandchildren would be automatically covered for travel insurance. I have recently been told that my grandchildren would not be covered. Is this so? If they are not, can I purchase additional insurance for the grandchildren and what would the cost be.

      Avatarfinder Customer Care
      JonathanFebruary 10, 2016Staff

      Hi Christine,

      Thanks for your inquiry!

      Only dependent children are covered under this policy. Please view the eligibility requirements to ensure you are covered under the BankSA complimentary insurance.

      You can also compare travel insurance policies for your grandchildren.

      Please make sure to read the eligibility criteria, features and details of the policy, as well as the relevant Product Disclosure Statement PDS/T&C’s of the policy before making a decision and consider whether the product is right for you. If necessary, speak to the insurance brand to verify any details.



    Default Gravatar
    HermanJanuary 5, 2015

    A delayed domestic flight caused us to miss a connecting flight with the same airline. They did not have another flight vacancy that day so were forced to fly with another airline resulting in paying premium rates

      Avatarfinder Customer Care
      ElizabethJanuary 5, 2015Staff

      Hi Herman,

      Thanks for your comment.

      If this occurred in Australia or overseas and the delay was six hours or longer (four hours if within Australia), then you may be eligible to have your meal costs reimbursed but not your flight costs.

      I hope this has helped.



Go to site