If you hold a senior’s card or Commonwealth Government Health Concession card, BankSA has an everyday banking account that takes your needs into consideration. Pay no monthly fees, yet still benefit from total access to your money in a variety of ways. This includes a Visa debit card which permits you to make purchases and withdrawals wherever Visa is normally accepted.
What are the features of the BankSA Concession Account?
Concession card holders have a lot to think about when considering how to best manage a fixed income. Compare what other Australian banks offer concession card holders with the features you find at the BankSA:
- Monthly service fee. You are not charged any monthly account keeping fees with BankSA’s Concession Account.
- Accessibility. You are allowed unlimited transactions in branch, at ATMs, over the phone, online, and with EFTPOS free of charge.
- Visa debit card. The Concession account is linked to a Visa debit card, allowing you to make point of sale purchases, online and over the phone purchases and ATM withdrawals by drawing the money straight from your account balance.
- ATM accessibility. The BankSA Visa debit card can be used to withdraw cash at BankSA, St.George, Bank of Melbourne, and Westpac ATMs without being charged. If you use an ATM outside of this network your account may be charged extra fees.
- Overseas withdrawals. If you use your Visa debit card to make withdrawals overseas, you will be charged $5 for each transaction. You could also be charged additional fees from the issuing bank.
- Currency conversion. For transactions that require the conversion of a foreign currency, such as some made online, you will be charged 3% of the Australian dollar amount. This charge will be deducted from your account and may include purchases made online if made through an overseas merchant.
- Electronic debit and credit. You can set up automatic payments and debits for your concession account to take care of your regular monthly bills as well as receive your regular salary payments.
- BPAY. This account allows for you to make payments using BPAY without incurring any extra charges.
- Mobile banking. You can transact right from your mobile phone by downloading the free app, available for both iPhone and android devices. With this you are able to view your balance and recent transactions as well as make transfers and payments.
- Free staff assistance in branch and over telephone
- $0 service maintenance fee per month.
- Free banking withdrawals everyday at BankSA.
- Internet and phone banking transactions are free.
- There is a 3.0% foreign currency conversion fee.
- There is a $5 overseas cash withdrawal fee.
How do I apply for the BankSA Concession Account?
If the features of the BankSA Concession Account fit in with your spending style, you can apply for this account by calling BankSA or visiting your local branch. Before heading out, check first that you are able to meet their eligibility requirements:
- Minimum age. So long as you hold either a senior’s card or a Commonwealth Government Health Concession card, you will be considered eligible for this account.
- Residency requirements. You must be residing inside of Australia at the time of application and be able to provide proof of an Australian residential address.
- Depository requirements. The Concession account can be opened with a minimum of one dollar.
In order to expedite your application process, have your contact details ready including your address, email and phone number along with the following documentation with you when you are applying for this account:
- Tax file number. While not a mandatory requirement, providing the BankSA with your tax file number (TFN) or TFN exemption code helps in ensuring that any interest earned on an account has taxes withheld at the correct rate to your circumstance.
- Identification. A driver’s licence, passport or Medicare card will serve as sufficient identification in most cases.
- Concession card. In addition to your identifying documents, you will need to show your senior card or Government Health Concession card when applying for this account.
If your application for a Concession Account is approved by BankSA, they will send you the necessary details for how to begin setting up your account. Your Visa debit card will be mailed via Australian post and will need to be activated before you are able to use it.