If you hold a senior’s card or Commonwealth Government Health Concession card, BankSA has an everyday banking account that takes your needs into consideration. Pay no monthly fees, yet still benefit from total access to your money in a variety of ways. This includes a Visa debit card which permits you to make purchases and withdrawals wherever Visa is normally accepted.
BankSA Concession Account
- Account keeping fee
- ATM withdrawal fee
- Overseas ATM withdrawal fee
- Overseas transaction fee of transaction value
This account has all the same features and benefits of the BankSA Complete Freedom Account, except there’s no monthly account keeping fee and no ongoing balance requirements or deposit conditions to meet.
There are strict eligibility requirements, though, so this account isn’t available to all customers. To be eligible for this account you need to be a concession card holder with a senior’s card or a Commonwealth Government Health Concession Card.
If you’re a full-time student, you'll get the monthly account fee waived with the BankSA Complete Freedom Account.
Free staff assistance in branch and over telephone
$$0 service maintenance fee per month.
Free banking withdrawals everyday at BankSA.
Internet and phone banking transactions are free.
There is a 3.0% foreign currency conversion fee.
There is a $$5 overseas cash withdrawal fee.
|Product Name||BankSA Concession Account|
|Monthly account fee||$0|
|Own network ATM fee||$0|
|International ATM Fee||$5 + 3%|
|International transaction fee||3%|
|Monthly deposit required to waive account fee||N/A|
|Contactless Payments||Apple Pay, Google Pay, Samsung Pay|
|Joint account availability||Yes|
|Minimum opening deposit||N/A|
Monthly service fee
You are not charged any monthly account keeping fees with BankSA's Concession Account.
You are allowed unlimited transactions in branch, at ATMs, over the phone, online, and with EFTPOS free of charge.
Visa debit card
The Concession account is linked to a Visa debit card, allowing you to make point of sale purchases, online and over the phone purchases and ATM withdrawals by drawing the money straight from your account balance.
The BankSA Visa debit card can be used to withdraw cash at BankSA, St.George, Bank of Melbourne, and Westpac ATMs without being charged. If you use an ATM outside of this network your account may be charged extra fees.
If you use your Visa debit card to make withdrawals overseas, you will be charged $5 for each transaction. You could also be charged additional fees from the issuing bank.
For transactions that require the conversion of a foreign currency, such as some made online, you will be charged 3% of the Australian dollar amount. This charge will be deducted from your account and may include purchases made online if made through an overseas merchant.
Electronic debit and credit
You can set up automatic payments and debits for your concession account to take care of your regular monthly bills as well as receive your regular salary payments.
This account allows for you to make payments using BPAY without incurring any extra charges.
You can transact right from your mobile phone by downloading the free app, available for both iPhone and android devices. With this you are able to view your balance and recent transactions as well as make transfers and payments.
How to apply
If the features of the BankSA Concession Account fit in with your spending style, you can apply for this account by calling BankSA or visiting your local branch. Before heading out, check first that you are able to meet their eligibility requirements:
- Minimum age. So long as you hold either a senior's card or a Commonwealth Government Health Concession card, you will be considered eligible for this account.
- Residency requirements. You must be residing inside of Australia at the time of application and be able to provide proof of an Australian residential address.
- Depository requirements. The Concession account can be opened with a minimum of one dollar.
In order to expedite your application process, have your contact details ready including your address, email and phone number along with the following documentation with you when you are applying for this account:
- Tax file number. While not a mandatory requirement, providing the BankSA with your tax file number (TFN) or TFN exemption code helps in ensuring that any interest earned on an account has taxes withheld at the correct rate to your circumstance.
- Identification. A driver's licence, passport or Medicare card will serve as sufficient identification in most cases.
- Concession card. In addition to your identifying documents, you will need to show your senior card or Government Health Concession card when applying for this account.
What happens after I submit my application?
If your application for a Concession Account is approved by BankSA, they will send you the necessary details for how to begin setting up your account. Your Visa debit card will be mailed via Australian post and will need to be activated before you are able to use it.
You are about to post a question on finder.com.au:
- Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
- finder.com.au is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
- We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
- Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked