Load up to five different currencies at a time and save on foreign transaction fees when you travel or shop online.
The Bank of Melbourne Global Currency Card is a prepaid travel card that supports 11 different currencies and lets you carry balances for up to 5 of them at a time. This means you can avoid foreign transaction fees when you pay in one of the loaded currencies.
It also gives you a way to lock in exchange rates before you go overseas, so you know exactly how much foreign money you have to spend. As well as these benefits, the Bank of Melbourne Global Currency Card comes with one complimentary additional card in case anything happens to your main one.
|Available Currencies||AUD, USD, CAD, EUR, GBP, HKD, JPY, NZD, SGD, THB, ZAR|
|Multiple Currencies on One Card?||Yes|
|Number of Cards Issued||2|
|Minimum Load Amount||$100|
|Maximum Load Amount||$50,000|
|Maximum Load Amount (Annual)||$100,000|
|24 Hour ATM Cash Withdrawal Limit||$2,000|
|24 Hour Purchase (POS) Transaction Limit||$10,000|
|Card Issue Fee||$0|
|Initial Load Fee||$0|
|ATM Withdrawal Fee||Non-partner: AUD, USD $2.00, GBP £1.50, EUR €2.00., CAD $2.50, HKD $15.00, SGD $3.00, JPY ¥200, THB ฿75.00, ZAR R20.00|
|Inactivity Fee (Monthly)||$0|
Non-Westpac Group ATM in Australia/non-Global Alliance ATM overseas: AUD 2.00, USD 2.00, GBP 1.50, EUR 2.00, NZD 3.00, CAD 2.50, HKD 15.00, SGD 3.00, JPY 200, THB 75.00, ZAR 20.00
Over 50k ATMs (Global ATM Alliance network & Westpac Group): $0
|Card Replacement Fee||$0|
|Currency Conversion Fee||3%|
|BPAY Reload Fee||May attract fee|
|Available to Temporary Residents?||No|
SPECIAL OFFER: $50 cash back plus a chance to win a $10,000 holiday
If you order a new Global Currency Card and load AUD $2500 into an available foreign currency before 19 June 2019, you'll get $50 cash back and go into the draw to win a $10,000 Fight Centre gift card. This offer is for new customers only. Full T&C's apply and are available on the Bank of Melbourne website.
What currencies can I load on the Bank of Melbourne Global Currency Card?
This card supports the following 11 currencies:
- Australian dollars (AUD)
- US dollars (USD)
- Hong Kong dollars (HKD)
- Canadian dollars (CAD)
- Euros (EUR)
- Japanese yen (JPY)
- Great British pounds (GBP)
- New Zealand dollars (NZD)
- South African rand (ZAR)
- Thai baht (THB)
- Singapore dollars (SGD)
Switching between currencies
If you have several different currencies loaded onto your Bank of Melbourne Global Currency Card, it will automatically use the currency in which a transaction is made – as long as it is loaded on the card. If the transaction currency is not loaded on the card, the first available currency (based on your card's currency order) will be used.
Features of the Bank of Melbourne Global Currency Card
Here are the benefits you can look forward to with this card:
- Locked-in exchange rates. Once your currency is converted on the card, you'll know exactly how much you have available when you go overseas or shop online with an international retailer. This means you can avoid currency fluctuations later on.
- Additional card. Get peace of mind with a complimentary additional card you can use if anything happens to the main one.
- Smartphone app. Check your currency balances, view transactions and change currencies on the go with the Bank of Melbourne Global Currency Card app.
- Global ATM alliance. Get fee-free ATM access at over 50,000 ATMs around the world with Global ATM Alliance partners.
- Visa Zero Liability. This policy offers you protection against fraudulent transactions and unauthorised purchases made on your account.
Rates and fees of the Bank of Melbourne Global Currency Card
Unlike some other travel money cards, the Bank of Melbourne Global Currency Card does not charge an issue fee, reload fee or card replacement fee. However, there are some fees that may apply in certain situations, which we've outlined below.
|Fee||Cost||When it's charged|
|Foreign exchange fee||3% of the transaction amount when converted to Australian dollars.||When you use the card for a transaction in a currency that is not supported by the card.|
|ATM transaction fees||When you make an ATM withdrawal in Australia or globally.|
|ATM balance enquiry fees||When you make a balance enquiry in Australia or globally.|
|Emergency cash transfer fees||When you request an emergency cash transfer, such as when your card has been lost, damaged or stolen.|
Account and transaction limits
- Account balance. Your total balance on the card cannot be more than AUD$50,000 (or equivalent).
- Daily load or reload. You can load up to AUD$25,000 (or equivalent) per day. If you load funds in a branch or via bank transfer, the maximum per transaction is AUD$25,000. For BPAY reloads, the maximum is AUD$6,000.
- Maximum balance per year. Your maximum aggregate balance during any calendar year cannot exceed AUD$100,000 or equivalent.
- ATM and transaction limits. You can withdraw up to AUD$2,000 or equivalent per day with this card. Your total ATM withdrawals, POS/EFTPOS or online purchases in a day cannot exceed AUD$10,000 or equivalent. Merchants or ATM operators may impose additional limits.
How to apply for the Bank of Melbourne Global Currency Card
If you're an existing Bank of Melbourne customer, you can apply via online or mobile banking. Before you apply, make sure you meet the eligibility requirements:
- Account requirements. You must be an existing Bank of Melbourne customer with online or mobile banking access. If you don't have online banking, you can set it up via the Bank of Melbourne website or call the bank on 13 22 66.
- Minimum age. You must be at least 16 to get a Bank of Melbourne Global Currency Card.
- Address details. You need to have an Australian residential address to apply for this card.
- Identification. You may also need to provide proof of identification for verification purposes.
If approved, your card should be delivered in three to five business days, although it could take longer if you're in a rural area.
The Bank of Melbourne Global Currency Card is easy to use and offers a convenient travel money option for the savvy globetrotter. As always though, make sure to compare your options before deciding on a travel money card to find a card that best suits your needs.
Frequently asked questions about the Bank of Melbourne Global Currency Card
If you want to know more about the Bank of Melbourne Global Currency Card, here you'll find answers to some of the most common questions. You can also ask us a question using the comment box below.