With their award winning savings products and community based banking, Hunter United stands out as an Australian financial institution.
Hunter United has been serving the community of New South Wales’ Hunter Valley since 1963. Since the member owned financial institutions inception, it has grown to become the areas largest locally based credit union, with seven separate branches across the region.
- Money Magazine’s Best of the Best Award winner for 2016 – Best DIY Super Savings Account Non-Bank category for their Premium Online Investor Account.
Who is Hunter United?
Through the use of competitive interest rates and bonuses for no withdrawals, Hunter United provides their members with incentive to save. Online banking is readily available to make around the clock transfers and payments easy, as are rebates to help keep your fees low. As most accounts pay your interest monthly, you can also benefit from earning more with compound interest.
Notable features include:
- Stringent security provisions
- Viewing and/or printing your current account balances and transaction history
- Transferring money between your different accounts
- Viewing and paying your bills using BPAY
- Making payments to other individuals or businesses
- Access to your accounts from anywhere in the world
What transaction accounts are offered by Hunter United?
- On-call Savings Account. This account gives you day to day management of your money through a number of access methods that include branch transactions and the use of a linked debit card. You can also bank electronically, setting up direct credits and debits and using BPAY for your monthly expenses.
- Cash Management Account. This at call account is designed for individuals and businesses that want a higher rate of return with full access to the cash at all times. Your balance will earn interest at a competitive rate daily, which will be paid into the account quarterly.
What high interest savings accounts are offered by Hunter United?
- XLR8 Savings Account. Meet the deposit requirement each month and make no withdrawals and you can earn a higher interest rate on your savings. Interest payments are made into the account monthly, allowing you to earn more from compound interest.
- E-ZYNET Direct Account. While you are given various options to deposit money into this account, your access to withdrawal is limited to electronic transfers. With no other strings attached you will earn a competitive rate on the entire balance daily, which is paid into the account every month.
- Premium Online Investor Account. A term deposit account without the hassle of a term, this award winning account rewards you with high interest earnings for those months when you don’t make any withdrawals. You do need to make a minimum investment of $5,000, but unlike a term deposit your interest payments are made monthly into the account.
What term deposits are offered by Hunter United?
The fixed rate term deposit from Hunter United allows you to earn an interest income with payment frequency choices of monthly, quarterly or at maturity. A term deposit can be opened with an investment amount of $2,000 with term options ranging from three months to two years.Back to top
What are the pros and cons of banking with Hunter United?
- Bonus interest. Hunter United gives you incentive to save with accounts that pay higher rates for making deposits without any withdrawals.
- Mobile phone banking. With an app available for iPhone and android mobile devices you can access the Hunter United mobile banking site and keep track of your accounts at all times.
- Visa debit card. With accounts that allow for ATM access you can choose a Visa debit card which will let you make purchases and withdrawals around the world.
- Overdraft facility. If you are eligible you can attach an overdraft facility to certain accounts to ensure that the funds are always there when you need to make a purchase.
- Availability. Membership into Hunter United is limited to those living within a particular region of New South Wales.
- Specialised savings account. There is an obvious lack of savings products for children or for setting money aside for a special purpose.
How do I apply for a Hunter United account?
Before being able to apply for any of the accounts offered by Hunter United you will need to apply for membership. There is a $2 shareholder fee charged to you, which can be refunded if you ever decide to give up your membership. Once you have received your membership number you can apply online for any of the Hunter United accounts. Have ready your photo identification information and tax file number (TFN) if you have not already provided that to the credit union. Minimum opening deposit requirements will vary depending on the account you are opening, but all applicants will need to be at least 18 and a resident of Australia.