We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Local residents of Cairns have known the benefit of small town banking for over 100 years. Still standing alongside Australia’s larger banks, Cairns Penny Savings & Loans provides you with a variety of savings options with comparable rates and fees and incomparable personable service.
Who is Cairns Penny Savings & Loans?
At Cairns Penny Savings & Loans, they take the bank’s founders’ motto “Take care of the pennies and the pounds will take care of themselves” to heart by providing members with a number of options for storing their own pennies. You will find at call accounts to passively save for a rainy day, and competitive investment solutions that allow you to plan for your future. There is no savings goal too small or too big for Cairns Penny Savings & Loans to help you meet.
What is internet banking like for Cairns Penny Savings & Loans?
Cairns Penny Savings & Loans makes banking easy by providing members with the option of signing up for online banking. This free service will allow you to access your accounts from your home or work computer to make daily transactions and transfers.
Visit the Cairns Penny branch and a service representative will set up your internet banking platform for you and get you started on how to make use of the various features.
Notable features include:
- Immediate processing of any internal transfers
- BPAY payments
- External transfers
- View account balances and transactions
- Set up regular and future payments and transfers
- Confirm when a cheque has cleared your account
- Print your statements
- View interest earnings
- Change passwords
- Customise your welcome page
- Securely send emails to Cairns Penny
What transaction accounts are offered by Cairns Penny Savings & Loans?
- Access Plus Account. The Cairns Penny everyday banking account comes with your choice of ATM or Visa debit card. This allows you easy access to your money as well as the ability to make EFTPOS purchases and cashouts.
- Pensioner Account. Designed to meet the needs of pensioners and retirees, this is an interest earning account that is based on Federal Government deeming rates. Take advantage of complete access to your cash with your choice in debit card, along with online transactions and transfers.
What high interest savings accounts are offered by Cairns Penny Savings & Loans?
- Christmas Club. Start saving Christmas as early as January by keeping these funds separate from your everyday money. With this account you are earning interest on your balance, while only being able to make deposits until the first of November.
- Internet Saver. Linked to your everyday banking account, the Internet Saver pays a higher rate of interest on your daily balance. Access your money by transferring the funds directly into your transaction account.
- First Penny Saver Account. A higher interest rate is paid to the balances of Australian children under the age of . Direct credit and branch transactions are allowed, plus the parent has the option of being able to make transactions on the child’s behalf.
What term deposits are offered by Cairns Penny Savings & Loans?
Your long term savings plans can also be taken care of by locking your money into a term deposit. For a minimum deposit of $1,000 you can invest for anywhere between one month and two years. With terms of longer than a year, you can also opt to have interest payments made with more frequency to help with your other monthly expenses.Back to top
What are the pros and cons of banking with Cairns Penny Savings & Loans?
- Versatility. You will find that the savings products offered are specially structured to meet varying needs.
- Interest rates. The interest rates quoted are in line with what you get with larger banks.
- Membership fee. Your cost for choosing to become a member of Cairns Penny is $1 for your shares.
- Access options. With their internet banking system you are provided with a number of easy ways to access your money.
- Branch availability. There is only one physical branch located inside of Cairns, limiting your access to branch banking.
- Bonus interest. Noticeably missing from the selection of savings accounts are those that encourage you to save by offering bonus interest for monthly deposits and no withdrawals.
How do I apply for a Cairns Penny Savings & Loans account?
For all accounts, including applying for membership, you will need to visit the Cairns Penny Savings & Loans branch in order to complete an application. Bring with you photo ID along with your tax file number and personal details. You do need to be a resident of Australia with a residential address to open an account, but the age and deposit requirements will vary depending on the products you are interested in.
More guides on Finder
Handypay Green Loan
A Green Loan from Handypay could help you make your home more energy-efficient. Handypay green loans are available up to $75,000 on terms of up to 10 years.
Victoria floods: How much food spoilage will your home insurance cover?
There’s been over 25,000 power outages across Victoria. Home insurance can reimburse you for the food that’s gone to waste. Find out who here.
TCL 20SE Review: Great display but otherwise unremarkable
If you're after a low-cost mobile with a quality display, the TCL 20SE is appealing, but you'll otherwise be left wanting for app performance, camera quality and battery life.
Today’s ASX top stocks: Moneyme (MME ↑18.8%), Cd Private Equity Fund I (CD1 ↑18.5%)
The 10 biggest movers on the ASX for Tuesday 15 June 2021.
Amazon Prime Day: 60% off fashion deals you’re not going to want to miss
Bargain hunters - get ready to save on Nike, New Balance, Cotton On, Tommy Hilfiger, Calvin Klein and so much more.
Amazon Prime Day best home deals: Bose, iRobot and more
From home speakers to robot vacuums, these are the items to watch out for this Prime Day.
Staple items worth a splurge and how you can grab a cheeky 30% off all of them
We've got a cheeky 30% off at THE ICONIC so here are the staple items worth a splurge because the savings are too damn good.
THE ICONIC x Finder: Huge 30% off sale + 5 things to shop right now
THE ICONIC's massive sale is exclusive to Finder members and applies to over 40,000 must-have items.
Ask an Expert