- Apple Pay & Google Pay
- $0 ATM fees
- $0 Monthly account fees
Best bank accounts
The best bank account can help you manage your everyday spending with low fees and easy access your money whenever, and wherever, you want.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Filter products to match your search
Looking for the best bank account?
There's no single bank account that's best for everyone as all our needs are different - and what's best for you might not be best for someone else.
- Google Pay, Apple Pay
- Monthly fees: $0
- No international transaction fees
- Up to 10 currencies
Find your new bank account
Bank accounts with added features and perks
Most bank accounts are fairly similar. Here are 5 great bank accounts that offer something a bit different:
- HSBC Everyday Global bank account: Earn 2% cashback on tap&pay purchases
- Suncorp Everyday Options bank account: Link up to 9 mini sub accounts that earn interest
- Xinja bank account: A 100% app-based mobile bank account
- Citi Global Currency bank account: Hold up to 10 different currencies in the one account
- CUA Everyday Snap bank account: Refund international ATM fees and international card transaction fees
How to find the best bank account
Consider the following features when researching your options to help you find the best bank account for you.
The account fees
It's ideal to look for a bank account with no monthly account keeping fees. If there are account fees, ask yourself if there are any extra features with the account to justify the fee.
The deposit conditions
If there are monthly deposit conditions to meet, make sure it's an amount that you're comfortable with.
The account access options
If you like to bank in branch, the best bank account for you will likely be one that has branch access as some online banks don't. Or, if you do all your banking on your phone, check that the bank account can be accessed via a good mobile banking app.
Overseas fees and charges
If you like to travel regularly, the best bank account for you could be one that doesn't charge overseas ATM fees and international transaction fees.
The linked savings account
If you're planning to open a linked savings account with the same bank, it's a good idea to look for one with a competitive interest rate.
Make sure the bank account offers the payment options that you want, for example BPAY, Apple Pay, Google Pay, Samsung Pay, PayID, tap and go with Visa payWave or Mastercard PayPass.
If you use cash and cheques, a bank account with a large ATM network and smart ATMs that accept cash and cheques might be best for you.
What does the best bank account offer?
The best bank account will usually have some or all of the following features:
- No account keeping fees, or an option to have the account fees waived
- A range of different payment options available
- Monthly deposit conditions that are easy to meet (or none at all)
- A mobile banking app or Internet banking portal to manage your account 24/7
- A linked savings account with a competitive interest rate
How to choose the best bank account
Ultimately, the right bank account for you will depend on your personal situation and how you plan to use the account. If you need more help deciding on the best bank account for you, consider the following:
- If you travel a lot: Look for a bank account with no international transaction fees or an account that lets your hold multiple different currencies.
- If you often withdraw cash from ATMs: Some bank accounts allow you to access any ATM in Australia for free.
- If you're a small business owner: The best bank account for you could be a dedicated business bank account, with access to online accounting software and tools.
- If you're a student: A student bank account will often waive all account keeping fees while you're studying.
- If you like to pay with your phone: Look for a bank account that offers Apple Pay, Google Pay or Samsung Pay.
- If you want an online bank with a great app: Digital banks offer bank accounts that are managed entirely via a mobile app with great spending features and insights into your money.
- If you want to share the account with another person: The best bank account for couples or friends who both want access to the account is a joint account.
More guides on Finder
Best wine clubs and subscription services in Australia
We’ve done the hard work to find the best wine clubs and subscription services for Australian wine drinkers.
Best NAS devices in Australia
Upgrade your home storage with one of the best NAS devices available on store shelves here in Australia.
Bendigo Invest Direct share trading review
Your in-depth review of the Bendigo Invest Direct share trading platform and what it offers for Aussie investors.
9 Great Property apps
We've picked our favourite property apps for buying, renting and sprucing up your living space.
How to buy Robinhood stock from Australia
Robinhood is set to go public as soon as June. Here's what you need to do to buy in from Australia.
Best pop-up tents in Australia
If you’re searching for a pop-up tent, we can help you find the perfect option for your needs.
Best SSDs in Australia
Speed up your system with one of the best SSDs you can buy right now in Australia.
Find the best AUD to USD exchange rate
Get today’s best Australian to US dollar exchange rates before you send money overseas.
International money transfer services
Beat the banks, find the best exchange rates and avoid fees when you send money abroad from Australia.
Response to the Inquiry into Future Directions for the Consumer Data Right
Finder's submission in response to the Inquiry into Future Directions for the Consumer Data Right.