Back to school tips 2020
Going back to school isn't easy for children. Here are some tips on how to ready your kids for a new school year with enthusiasm.
Summer's over, and now it's time for you to go back to school. No one likes being dragged back to class after a summer full of fun in the sun, but it's important to be prepared for the new school term. That way, your kids will start the year right and transition smoothly into studying again.
Here we'll help you get better prepared for the upcoming school year with some back to school tips.
Tips for parents with younger children heading back to school
If you are a parent of a young child, there are some extra steps you should take when preparing your child for the school year. Younger kids need more support and encouragement at this point in their lives than older children.
- Schedule a medical checkup. Schedule a medical and dental checkup before classes start. This will ensure that your child is in a fit state to go back to school and could prevent sick days further down the line.
- Guard against separation anxiety. Some children experience separation anxiety more than others. If you've spent time with your child all throughout summer, it's normal that they might experience a bit of a shock on their first day back at school. If possible, try to introduce your child to their new teacher before the first day of school and get them used to the idea that they'll be spending time at school without you.
- Arrange a playdate with their classmates. Playdates are a great way for young children to develop social skills. Arranging a playdate with some of your child's schoolmates before school starts will ease your child's anxiety about their first day.
- Encourage extracurricular activities. Becoming a well-rounded person takes more than just completing assignments. Make it a point to encourage your child to take part in extracurricular activities.
- Engage them in sports. Keep your child healthy both physically and mentally by encouraging them to try out different sports. Football, cricket and rugby are all played in teams, which both encourages sportsmanship and is lots of fun.
Tips for going back to school
- Buy school supplies early. Bookstores are usually packed at the start of the school year. Avoid the rush by buying all the necessary school supplies early. Use a checklist to make sure that you've got everything covered.
- Re-establish routines. During the summer break, you most likely had no strict mealtime and bedtime routines in place. It can take a week before you get used to the school routine again, so start waking the kids up early well before term time.
- Buy clothing essentials. Be sure to buy uniforms, socks and undershirts early. This helps you avoid panic on the day before school.
- Set the alarm clock. The last thing you want is to be late on the first day of school, so remember to set the alarm clock.
- Create a meal plan. This makes it easy to keep your kids on a balanced diet throughout the year.
- Organise an assignment notebook. Having an "assignment notebook" is a must for any student as it ensures that they won't forget any of their homework assignments. Encourage your kids to start using one, and check in with them frequently to make sure they haven't forgotten anything.
Being prepared for school before the term starts will have a significant impact on your child's confidence, attitude and performance once the assignments start rolling in. Remember that going to school can be fun, but stress is almost unavoidable no matter what level you're at. So follow the tips outlined in this article to give your kids a head start in class.
Back to school shopping
What to buy
Settlement Pencil Case
Go Green Lunchbox Sets
Lime Tree Kids
Park Life Stainless Steel Drink Bottle
Cotton CK Logo Liner 3-Pack
HERSCHEL Little America
Image source: Getty
How to save this back to school season
Popular Back to school - stationery coupon codes
|Last checked||Code description||Code|
|25 Oct 2019||FREE returns for all orders within Australia||********|
|13 May 2020||FREE home delivery on orders over $45||********|
|9 Sep 2019||$20 off when you sign up||********|
|24 Jul 2019||Free shipping||********|
|27 Nov 2018||20% off first purchase when you sign up||********|
Ask an Expert