Make your child's transition from holiday mode to learning mode a breeze with this guide.
Summer's over. Now it's time for you to go back to school. No one likes being dragged back to class after a summer full of fun in the sun but it's important to be prepared for the new school term. This will let you start the year right and transition smoothly to studying again. In this article, we help you get better prepared with some back to school tips.
Tips for parents with younger children heading back to school
There are special considerations you need to look into if you are a parent of a young child. They need more support and encouragement at this point in their lives compared to older children. Here are some tips you can follow:
- Schedule medical checkups – schedule a medical and dental checkup before classes start. It will eliminate hassles and sick days that can potentially leave your child behind in class.
- Guard against separation anxiety – some children experience separation anxiety more than others. If you have been with your kid throughout the summer, it is normal that they might get upset about being left at school. So, if possible, try to introduce your child to the new teacher before the first day of school.
- Arrange a playdate with their classmates – playdates are a great way for young children to develop social skills. Arranging a playdate with some of your child's schoolmates before school starts will ease your child's anxiety about first day jitters.
- Encourage extracurricular activities – becoming a well-rounded person takes more than just completing assignments. Make it a point to encourage your child to take part in extracurricular activities.
- Engage them in sports – keep your child healthy body and mind by letting them try out different sports. Football, cricket and rugby are all played in teams which encourage sportsmanship while allowing kids to remain physically active at the same time.
Tips for going back to school
- Buy school supplies early – bookstores are usually packed at the start of the school year. Avoid the rush by buying all the necessary school supplies early. Use a checklist to make sure that you've got everything covered.
- Reestablish routines – during the summer break, you most likely had no strict mealtime and bedtime routines. It can take a week before you get used to the school routine so start waking up early before term time.
- Buy clothing essentials – be sure to buy uniforms, socks and undershirts early. This lets you avoid panic on the day before school.
- Set the alarm clock – the last thing you want is to be late on the first day of school. So remember to set the alarm clock.
- Create a meal plan – start being conscious of your health by creating a meal plan. This enables you to have a balanced diet throughout the year.
- Use a checklist – having an "assignment notebook" is a must for any student. It ensures that you won't forget your homework assignments in math, science, English and other subjects.
Being prepared for school before the term starts will have a significant impact on your confidence, attitude and performance once the assignments start rolling in. Remember that going to school can be fun but stress is almost unavoidable no matter which level you're in. So follow the tips outlined in this article to give yourself a head start in class.
Back to School Shopping:
Back to School Coupons and Savings
Up to 25% off workplace essentials
Get up to 25% off workplace essentials at Staples. Includes ink, toner, filing, binder, organisers, envelopes, mailing and labelling items.
$500 off HP Notebook 15-ay048TX signature edition laptop with i7 processor
Save $500 on the HP Notebook 15-ay048TX signature edition laptop with the i7 processor at Microsoft Store.
$100 EFTPOS gift card when you buy a Lenovo Yoga 910 signature edition laptop
Avail the bonus Eftpos gift card by following these steps: 1.) Buy an eligible Lenovo YOGA 910 signature edition laptop at Microsoft Store until 28 February 2017. 2.) Register your details at http://www.lenovoyogarewards.com.au by 31 March 2017 and your bonus $100 Eftpos gift card will be mailed to you.
$300 off HP Notebook 15-ay070TU signature edition laptop
Save $300 on Hewlett Packard Notebook 15-ay070TU signature edition laptop at Microsoft Store. Conditions apply.
FREE Actiontec Screenbeam Mini 2 + silicone case when you buy a HP Elite x3 phone
Get a free Actiontec Screenbeam Mini 2 and silicone case when you buy a HP Elite x3 phone at Microsoft Store.
15% off select Surface devices: Student Offer
Students get 15% off select Surface devices. Includes Surface Pro 4 Core m3 128GB, Surface Pro 4 i5 128GB and Surface Book i5 128GB. T&Cs apply.
Great Back To School deals on Surface, PCs, Xbox and phones
Enjoy big savings on Back To School deals at Microsoft Store on Surface, PCs, Xbox and phones.
Buy Mr Men and Little Miss Stationery
Shop official Mr Men and Little Miss stationery from Cotton On Kids.
Buy Backpacks and Laptop Cases
Shop the trend with the coolest backpacks and laptop cases from Typo.