If you've been invited to a baby shower but aren't quite sure what to give the mother who's expecting here are some winning baby shower gifts to make her go "gaga" over.
There's a baby shower invite in your palm and you know you've got to give that expectant mother and her bub a gift that they'll love, cherish and use. We know a few that both mum and bub will love. We also know a few deals and coupons that are floating around to make sure you don't end up breaking the bank at the baby shower - because you know, that babe has a lifetime of birthday presents from you in its future, too.
- Are you hosting the baby shower? See our handy guide to throwing the perfect shower.
Top baby gifts for October 2018
Montague & Capulet Pendant
Raccoon Storage Bin
Hudson Baby Organic Bodysuits
Amazon US site
Kissed by the Moon
Sophie Giraffe Bath Toys
Guess How Much I Love You
Love Mae Mini Stickers Butterflies- Girly
Blackmores Pregnancy & Breastfeeding Gold 180 Capsules
The Secrets of the Baby Whisperer
Personalised Baby Bodysuit
Amazon US site
Top 6 online retailers to shop for baby shower gifts
You'll be sure to find something beautiful for a new mum, dad or newborn baby at any of these retailers.
Bright Bots is an Australian online retailer specialising in baby clothing, nappies, bed and bath accessories.
Shop Bright Bots
Some of the cutest children's gear and accessories can be found at this adorable kids' store.
Eco-friendly families with adore the line of Hello Charlie environmentally sustainable baby wear and toys.
The home of all things adorable, Etsy is the marketplace for unique and handcrafted goods for bubs and mums (and everyone else).
You shouldn't have to sacrifice style for comfort, so shop with ASOS in their maternity range for a great range of styles.
Deals Direct is Australia's number one online department store, boasting thousands of brands at affordable prices.
finder.com.au's guide to choosing the baby shower gift
Buying a baby shower gift is not as hard as you might think. There's a wealth of presents out there. Here are some ideas:
- Buy something practical. Opting for a practical gift like bottles, carry bags, prams and clothes for the baby will be appreciated by the expecting parents.
- Something for mum. People can get so caught up buying cute clothes for the baby that they forget mum needs things too. Spoil mum with nice clothes, a massage or a babysitter for when she needs a break from the long nights.
- Something cute. Cute products are super fun to shop for and are hands-down winners. Think clothes, baby shoes, muslin wraps, or soft toys.
Are you planning the baby shower? Plan it perfectly with this handy guide.
When should I host a baby shower?
Typically, baby showers are held 4-6 weeks before the birth, but it's always a good idea to talk to the mum-to-be about when fits around her schedule. If you're determined to make it a surprise do, loop in the dad-to-be or a close relative or friend to ensure the mother-to-be will be free that day.
Where should I host a baby shower?
Ideally, you don't want to host the baby shower at the mum-to-be's home. She would likely end up worrying about cleaning up and playing hostess. Instead, opt to hold it at your home or another close friend's home. Mother, sister and close friend's homes are also great options. If not, how about a room at a local community hall, cafe, club or restaurant can work, too.
High tea is a perennial favourite for baby showers – and most major cities have plenty of options in swanky cafes , plus grand hotel lobbies and restaurants. You might even be able to get a deal, discount or special offer through one of these deal sites.
If you want to go 'all out', book somewhere super special in your nearest city. These are some of our favourite baby shower locations around Australia:
Sydney: Gunners Barracks Tea Room in Mosman; Hyde Park Barracks Cafe in CBD; 3 Weeds in Rozelle; Sydney Park in Marrickville
Melbourne: Studley Park Boathouse in Kew; Bottega in CBD; The Parlor Milkbar & Kitchen in Cheltenham;
Brisbane: Boulevard Gardens in Indooroopilly; Dandelion and Driftwood in Hendra; Bundaleer Rainforest Gardens in Brookfield;
Perth: The Terrace Hotel in CBD; Taylor's Art & Coffee House in Swan Valley; Cottesloe Civic Centre Grounds
Hobart: Villa Howden in Howden; Cornelian Bay Boathouse Restaurant in Cornelian Bay; Hobart Rivulet and gardens in Hobart
Darwin: Java Spice in CBD; Trailer Boat Club in Fannie Bay; Cornucopia in Fannie Bay
When should the baby shower invites go out?
The invites should ideally go out about 4-6 weeks before the scheduled shower, to ensure enough time for everyone to make plans. If possible, start a Facebook group too, so people can chat about the even beforehand and give each other updates. It's a great way to build excitement for the party and also ask people any questions you need to prior to the event.
What baby shower games should we play?
- How well do you know the mum to be? Find out as much as possible about the mother-to-be, then create a list of approximately 20 questions. Read the questions out and the guest with the most correct answers wins.
- Guess the baby photo: A total classic. Ask each guest to bring a picture of themselves as a baby and pin them to a board with a number assigned. Get the guests to guess which photo belongs to which shower-goer.
- Dirty nappies: This game sounds a bit gross, so do bear with us. Buy a few popular chocolate bars (all different textures and types) and melt individually in the microwave. Smudge each into a disposable nappy and have the guests guess which chocolate bar is which based on their senses (including smell) alone. This makes for some hilarious photos!
- Guess the celebrity baby name: Jot down a list of celebrity baby names (the stranger the better) and turn it into a quiz. See how can get the most celebrity parents correct.
- Baby songs: Have guests write down as many songs as possible that mention the word 'baby'.