The author behind the “Metaverse” now building one. Here’s how to join in.
Cyberpunk author Neal Stephenson has joined the team behind Lamina1, a blockchain project that will host a version of the metaverse. Intrigued? Here’s what we know so far.
Neal Stephenson, the “Snow Crash” author who coined the word “Metaverse” back in 1992, is helping launch a metaverse-focused blockchain project called Lamina1.
The author’s focus will be on “helping get artists and other value creators paid properly for their work, helping the environment (LAMINA1 will be provably carbon negative), and seeing a truly Open Metaverse get built.”
That’s from a statement announcing the project. It includes a Discord link where you can follow along with the effort, and a way to send a resume if you have the chops for this kind of work.
Here’s what we know so far.
What is Lamina1 going to be?
The project is at its earliest stages. It’s so early, in fact, that they don’t even have a Whitepaper or a page where you can deep dive.
We know that Lamina1 is designed to be a layer 1 blockchain of an open metaverse that “privileges creators, technical and artistic, one that provides support, spatial computing tech, and a community to support those who are building out the Metaverse.”
Unlike Meta Platforms (META) and Microsoft (MSFT), among others, that seem to envision the metaverse as a 3d world accessible via virtual reality headsets, Stephenson sees his Lamina1 metaverse as a 2d world viewed on current computer screens. That’s a change from Stephenson’s original vision, outlined in the book “Snow Crash.”
The team behind Lamina1 is fully doxxed
Lamina1’s team is not anonymous. Its core team includes recognised experts in their fields, which makes the project seem credible. Here’s a look at the core team:
- Neal Stephenson, co-founder and chairman. Previously chief futurist at Magic Leap and the first employee at Blue Origin.
- Peter Vessenes, co-founder. Previously co-founder and chairman of the Bitcoin Foundation.
- Tony Parisi, chief strategy officer. Former head AR/VR at Unity, inventor of VRML and co-creator of glTF.
- Karen Laur, VP Creative/Spatial. Previously creative director at Magic Leap and Half-Life.
- Gordon Mattey, product and technology. Formerly product leadership at Ticketmaster, Sony, Yahoo and NBCUniversal.
- Margo Spiritus, marketing. Previously CBS Sports & Saatchi Art.
- Jordan Satta, design. Formerly at AI Fund, Alicia Keys and Thinaire/ADIDAS.
How to participate in Lamina1?
You can follow Lamina1 on Twitter or the Discord channel, where you’ll find new information as the project grows.
Given that this project is new, we could see an initial coin offering (ICO) happen in the future. This is typically used to fund a crypto project in the early stages.
Trying to get a handle on the markets? Cut through the noise with our overview of the best cryptos to buy right now, explore some strategies for how to trade crypto or see if there's a better platform for you with our guide to the best crypto exchanges.
Kliment Dukovski owns cryptocurrencies as of the publishing date.