Australia’s backpacker tax delayed six months

Peter Terlato 17 May 2016


Working holidaymakers won’t be hit with higher taxes just yet.

The Coalition government’s backpacker tax, announced in the 2015-16 Federal Budget, has been delayed until next year.

The changes, now effective 1 January 2017, will see working holidaymakers taxed at a rate of 32.5% on all earnings from 1 July this year.

Currently, international travellers working in Australia are only taxed when their income exceeds the $18,200 tax threshold. They are then taxed at a rate of 19c on the dollar, up to $37,000.

The majority of individuals affected by the proposed change would be travellers involved in Australia’s “Working Holiday Maker Program”. These are travellers, aged between 18 and 30, intending to work in Australia while on an extended holiday.

Working holidaymakers are also subject to a higher tax rate than residents when they withdraw their accumulated superannuation. The tax rate is between 38% and 47% for non-residents, while residents are charged 20%.

A higher tax rate may cause backpackers to seek work in other countries, such as New Zealand or Canada.

In New Zealand, working holidaymakers are taxed at a rate of 10.5% on the dollar, up to $14,000, and 17.5% on earnings between $14,001 and $48,000.

Assistant Treasurer Kelly O'Dwyer has also called for a government review of working holiday visas to assess the agricultural sector more broadly.

The outcomes of the review will be considered by Cabinet in October or November this year.

Picture: urosr /

More help from

Ask a Question

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Disclaimer: At we provide factual information and general advice. Before you make any decision about a product read the Product Disclosure Statement and consider your own circumstances to decide whether it is appropriate for you.
Rates and fees mentioned in comments are correct at the time of publication.
By submitting this question you agree to the privacy policy, receive follow up emails related to and to create a user account where further replies to your questions will be sent.

Ask a question