Australians have their say on the best hostels in the world
Find out the best hostels at home and overseas.
Ever wondered which hostel is the best in Australia? Or thought about where Aussie backpackers like to put their feet up when overseas?
Well, Hostelworld has taken all of its customer reviews from the past 12 months and figured out the best hostels you can find around the world. Dubbed the HOSCARS (Hostelworld Customer Annual Ratings), this year's awards mark the 20 year period since Hostelworld received its first booking back in 1999.
Cairns' Travellers Oasis has taken out the award for Best Hostel in Australia with Wake Up! Sydney Central scoring the HOSCAR for Most Popular Hostel in Sydney and Wake Up! Byron Bay ranked in the Top 10 of the Best Large Hostels Worldwide.
Our neighbours in New Zealand also ranked at the top for Best Hostel in Oceania with Adventure Q2 Hostel followed by Adventure Queenstown Hostel taking the crown for Best Location.
Playing to the stereotype that Aussie travellers get around, it'll come as no surprise that we've been fuelling our wanderlust further afield. Australian travellers' top three hostels were found in Hungary and Italy: Hostel One in Budapest, Ostello Bello Grande in Milan and Grandio Party Hostel in Budapest.
The hostel booking site also added some new categories for this year's awards including Best Hostels for Solo Travellers. We recently discovered that as much as 24% of Aussies have actually ventured out solo with a whopping 61% of Australian women believing it's safe to travel solo overseas.
We've highlighted some of the award winners below. See if any of your favourites made the list.
Hostelworld's 2019 HOSCARs winners
- Best for Solo Travellers: The Roadhouse Prague, Czech Republic
- Best Solo Female Hostel: We Love F. Tourists, Portugal
- Best Solo Male Hostel: Hostel One Paralelo, Barcelona
- Best for Aussie Travellers: Hostel One Budapest, Hungary
- Best in Australia: Travellers Oasis, Cairns
- Best in Oceania: Adventure Q2 Hostel, New Zealand
- Best new small hostel: The House of Sandeman, Portugal
- Best new medium hostel: Hostel One Madrid, Spain
- Best new large hostel: Romehello Hostel, Italy
- Best new extra-large hostel: Anda Venice, Italy
Want to learn more? Head over to Hostelworld to see the full list.
- Airlines, cruises and tours waive change and cancellation fees due to coronavirus [Updated]
- Australians advised not to travel: What to know [Updated]
- Travelling during coronavirus? Here’s what you need to know [Updated]
- What to know if your travels are affected by the domestic travel ban
- Ways to get your money back for an event cancelled due to coronavirus [Updated]