What is Australian Unity?
Australian Unity is a mutual company providing a range of services, including healthcare, financial services, retirement living, assisted living and insurance, to around 300,000 members nationwide. They have a proud 175-year history of taking care of members’ needs and all profits go to improving member services.
Other types of cover available
As well as providing a range of hospital and extras cover, Australian Unity also offers the following insurance to its members:
Australian Unity offers a suite of travel insurance products backed by QBE. You can choose from the International Travel Plan, Multi-trip Travel Plan, Australian Travel Plan, Budget Travel Plan or Inbound Travel Plan. Depending on the policy you choose, you may be covered for the following:
- 24/7 medical and emergency assistance
- Overseas medical and dental
- Flight cancellations
- Lost luggage
- Disability and accidental death
- Evacuation and repatriation
- Resumption of overseas journey
Home and Contents insurance
Australian Unity offers two home and contents policies: Home Cover and Home Cover Prestige.
Home Cover provides a basic level of cover while Home Cover Prestige offers higher insurable values. Depending on which policy you choose, you may have cover for the following:
- Accidental damage and loss cover
- Specified cover for valuables
- Extended cover for contents temporarily removed from your home
- Flooding and natural disasters
- Legal liability
- New for old replacement on most items
Landlords insurance includes full building cover and/or landlord’s contents, cover for fire, flooding and other natural disasters, optional cover for malicious damage or theft by tenants, personal liability cover and cover for lost rent with the option of cover for rent default.
Australian Unity offers a choice of three car insurance options: Third Party, Third Party Fire & Theft and Comprehensive Cover. All three policies provide the following:
- Liability cover for someone other than yourself driving the vehicle
- Uninsured motorist benefit
- Cover for legal liability if your passenger causes damage to another person’s property
- Legal costs related to the legal liability cover
Those taking out Comprehensive Cover can enjoy the following:
- Choice of excess
- Cover amount: agreed or market value
- Access to a hire car if your vehicle is stolen
- Excess-free option on windscreen and glass repair
- No-claim bonus protection
- New car replacement option
- Nominated driver option
Australian Unity offers life insurance in partnership with NobleOak and can provide you with a choice of cover options to suit your circumstances. The policy offers a death benefit of up to $15 million, which can provide you with much needed peace of mind.
What are the benefits of Australian Unity Health Limited?
Because Australian Unity is a mutual company, it does not pay dividends to shareholders. Instead, it reinvests the profits back into the company to provide even better and more affordable services for its members.
Being a member of a mutual organisation also entitles you to have a say in how the company is run. You have the right to attend general meetings, to vote on resolutions and to know exactly how your premiums are being spent.
Along with the general benefits of being a member, Australian Unity also offers the following member discounts and incentives:
- Member discounts on eye care and eyewear through Eyecare Advantage, Australian Unity’s preferred optical store.
- Generous discounts on health and lifestyle products and services through Australian Unity’s Wellplan Rewards scheme.
- A $100 Visa gift card for referring friends or family to an eligible Australian Unity hospital or combination policy.
- One Qantas Point per $2 spent on eligible Australian Unity Travel Insurance policies.
- If you have more than one policy with Australian Unity, you can get 10% off the cost of home and contents, car insurance, landlord insurance and travel insurance.