Sport a red nose on June 30 and show your support for the fight against Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS).
Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) is the sudden, unexplained death of a newborn child during sleep. Death usually occurs in the early hours of the morning and there is no noise or evidence of a struggle.
The exact cause of SIDS is unknown, but theories include environmental stressors such as sleeping on the stomach or side, overheating and accidental suffocation from soft objects or during bed sharing.
Proposed methods for reducing the risk of SIDS include putting the child on their back to sleep, providing a firm mattress with no loose bedding and in a relatively cool sleeping environment.
SIDS is the most common cause of death in children between one month and one year old, with most cases happening before six months of age and more occurring in boys than in girls.
How did Red Nose Day get started?
Losing a child to Sudden Infant Death Syndrome is a devastating experience and SIDS and Kids is a not-for-profit organisation that was created to support the bereaved families of SIDS babies.
SIDS and Kids is also dedicated to saving the lives of babies and children during pregnancy, birth, infancy and childhood and their areas of focus include education, research, national awareness campaigning, advocacy and fundraising.
Red Nose Day is SIDS and Kids’ major annual fundraiser, with all funds raised going towards providing vital services and programs to the Australian community.
What is Australian Red Nose Day?
Red Nose Day is held annually on the last Friday of June and continues to be the major fundraiser for SIDS and Kids, as well as raising awareness of the issues surrounding sudden infant death.
The premise of the day is the red nose, which people are encouraged to buy, wear and use to raise awareness of SIDS and to date Red Nose Day fundraising activities have contributed more than $16.5 million to research and education programs.
How can I get involved?
- Make a donation by giving money or buying some red nose merchandise.
- Purchase baby needs and safe sleeping items from the SIDS and Kids online store.
- Order Red Nose merchandise online and sell it at your school or workplace.
- Encourage family and friends to donate in lieu of buying birthday, wedding or anniversary gifts.
- Hold a Red Nose fundraiser such as a fun run, walkathon, golf day or charity auction.
- Red Nose yourself by uploading a picture of yourself wearing a red nose to the Red Nose gallery.
- Take the kids to a Red Nose Disco in Sydney or Brisbane (see the website for details).
- To find out more about Red Nose Day, go to www.rednoseday.com.au
- To find out more about SIDS and Kids, visit www.sidsandkids.org