How much do tennis players get paid at the Australian Open?
You won't want to go to work on Monday when you see how much tennis players are paid for the Australian Open.
What's the only thing that could ruin your start to the week more than work? Finding out someone else is getting paid a couple of months of your wage for hitting a ball for an hour or so. Alright now we shouldn't sound as salty as we have, but parents should get their kids playing tennis now.
Check out: Our Australian Open hub page
Obviously there are a few things to consider here, tennis players do still have to pay all their travel and coaching costs plus tax. Then while they still play on the ATP Tour year round, the prize money there pales in comparison to the Grand Slams. So let's not be too harsh on them.
The winners, likely to be the top-ranked players, will pocket a cool $4.12 million. Now wouldn't that be nice for two weeks' worth of work. What else is interesting is tennis is one sport where women are paid the same as men, at least in some major tournaments. Prize money in the men's and women's Australian Open is split down the middle.
Everything you need to know for the Australian Open
- Are you after somewhere to rest your head
- Still needAus Open tickets
- A guide to how to watch the Australian Open
- Do you need a car to get around
- Check out who's playing in the tennis tonight
- Need something to fill your belly?
- A guide to to how to buy tickets to the Australian Open
- Answering what to wear to the Australian Open
- After something other than tennis?
The difference being that men play five-set matches and women only play three sets. So as the gender pay gap remains a stark difference in many occupations and sports, female tennis players have bucked the trend, to some extent.
In total there's $71 million in prize money up for grabs at the 2020 Australian Open, which is an increase of 13.6% on last year.
Australian Open prize money
|Round of 128||$90,000|
|Round of 64||$128,000|
|Round of 32||$180,000|
|Round of 16||$300,000|
Image source: Kayo Sports website
- Sports Flick: Breaking down Australia’s latest sports streaming service
- Watch March Madness NCAA college basketball in Australia live and free
- Which NRL team has the most free-to-air games in 2021?
- How to watch 2021 NBA All-Star Weekend live and free
- WWE Royal Rumble 2021: Start time, how to watch live in Australia