What is the Australian East Coast Listening to?
Spotify users get The Buzz from Drinking From The Sun in HyperParadise.
As Aussies, we love our music. And according to Spotify, we love Aussie music. We analysed data from the Spotify interactive map "Musical Map: Cities of the World" and found some interesting takeaways.
- Hilltop Hoods, Hermitude and Ellie Drennan are the only artists who are represented in all three major east coast cities
- Brisbanites are more likely to have similar tastes in the latest popular music
- Electronic and hip hop music dominates the list. Only Violent Soho is representing rock
- Aussies love to support their local talent
- Ceres & Felix Riebl are two Melbourne-based artists gaining popularity in Sydney.
- Felix Riebl is more popular in Sydney than in his hometown Melbourne
- Slip-On Stereo is a Brisbane-based band with many people outside of Brisbane unfamiliar with their music.
How did we crunch the data?
Assumptions were made on data according to the number of plays of each artist collectively in each city based on Spotify artist data. Percentages were then calculated based on Australian Bureau of Statistics data from 2015.
Want to start listening?
The icons below let you listen directly on Spotify. If you're a Mac user click through to the iTunes store.
Data is based on assumptions made from Spotify Artist data and Australian Bureau of Statistics 2015.