Finder makes money from featured partners, but editorial opinions are our own.

Australian car sales fall in March


fast car driving

This is the fifth month in a row of declining vehicle sales.

National vehicle sales continued their retreat in March, signalling the fifth straight month of decline.

The latest Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) figures reveal a 0.3% fall in overall vehicle sales across the country, despite moderate rises in the sale of sports utility vehicles (0.2%) and other vehicles (0.5%).

Despite recording positive sales figures at the beginning of the year, passenger vehicle sales slipped by 1.3% in March, marking the second consecutive month of decline. SUV sales managed to gain quite a bit of momentum late last year, rising in September, October and November, but then hit a roadblock in December and January before bouncing back in February.

Vehicle sales were down across every state except the Northern Territory, where sales remained flat.

Tasmania (-1.9%), the ACT (-0.6%), New South Wales (-0.4%), Victoria (-0.3%), South Australia (-0.3%) Western Australia (-0.2%) and Queensland (-0.1%) all experienced declines in overall sales.

Planning on selling your old car or buying a new one? We've listed tips to help streamline the process.

Discover different borrowing options for used vehicles and compare low-interest loans for a better deal.

Latest car loans headlines

Get more from Finder

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms of Use, Disclaimer & Privacy Policy and 6. Finder Group Privacy & Cookies Policy.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Go to site