Have a car worth under $20,000 and worried about accidents? Australia Post’s Third Party Fire & Theft Car Insurance may be the right fit for you.
Australia Post's Third Party Fire & Theft Car Insurance policy is an affordable choice that gives you essential cover if your car is stolen or damaged by fire. You are also covered if you cause at-fault damage to someone else's car or property.
What does the policy cover?
Some of the key features of this policy include:
- 15% online discount if you buy online
- coverage of legal liability for accidental damage on other people’s property caused by the use of the car (with a maximum payout of $20 million)
- coverage if your car is stolen or damaged by fire
- if your car is stolen you are eligible for a hire car until the car is recovered, your claim is paid (for a maximum of 14 days or $1,000 in value)
- payment for recovering, towing and storage of your car if it is unsafe to drive as a result of damage
- a lifetime guarantee on authorised repairs
- if you’re involved in a no-fault accident with an uninsured vehicle, you will be covered for damage up to $3,000 or the market value of the car, provided you report the accident to police and have evidence that the other vehicle is uninsured
- coverage of legal liability for accidental damage caused by the car (with a maximum payout of $20 million)
- removal of your car's debris from the scene of an accident (up to $500)
- payment of up to $5,000 if you die as a result of injuries caused by the accident within 12 months of it occurring
Additional options to consider
Australia Post also offer additional benefits so you can customise your car insurance policy to suit your needs. These include:
- Replacement keys. If the remote locking device or keys to your vehicle are stolen and not recovered, Australia Post will pay up to $1,000 to replace them and recode the locks.
- Emergency transport and accommodation. If you receive a claim for damage to your vehicle, Australia Post will also pay for you to be transported to your home address or temporary accommodation when this is not possible (with a maximum cost of $100 per day, up to $850 in total).
- Discounts for restricted drivers. If you restrict the age of the youngest driver of your car you can receive a discount on your premium. You can choose to restrict the youngest driver to ages 21, 25, 30, or 40 years.
Who is eligible for the policy?
Additional excess apply to drivers who:
- are under 21 years of age
- are aged 21-24
- have not held a full Australian licence for at least 2 years
- are not listed as a driver on the insurance certificate
Exclusions to be aware of
Australia Post’s Third Party Fire and Theft Cover car insurance does have some general exclusions to be aware of. The policy does not cover any of the following:
- damage caused by attempted theft, such as a broken window
- any people that aren’t listed on your insurance certificate
- unlisted, excluded, or unlicensed drivers
- driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- carrying passengers or good for payment
- racing, trials, contests or rallies
- carrying explosive, flammable or toxic goods unlawfully or for business purposes
- any unlawful purpose
- if you don’t remain at the scene of the accident
- tyre damage caused by punctures, cuts or bursts
- vehicle wear and tear
- incidents occurring outside Australia
- legal costs incurred prior to authorisation of your claim
- hiring the car to other people
- offering driving tuition for payment
Other things to know
- Cancellations. This policy can be cancelled at any time.
- Cooling-off period. A cooling-off period of 21 days applies, during which you can cancel the policy and receive a full refund. If you cancel outside this period and you have paid an annual premium, you are eligible for a refund on any premium payment made after the cancellation date. If you paid your premium by instalments you are not eligible for a refund.
- No-claim discount protection. You can make one claim during the current period of insurance, or two claims in a 3-year period without affecting your no-claim discount. Any additional claims will mean your no-claim discount will be reduced on renewal.