Australia Day Brisbane 2021: Events and information
A guide to what's on in Brisbane on Australia Day.
Updated . What changed?
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Australia Day is one of the biggest days on our nation's calendar. Not only is it the day that the First Fleet landed in Port Jackson, it's also a day to celebrate how multicultural our nation has become.
And hey, being a public holiday doesn't hurt either.
From fireworks displays to all-nighters at the pub, whatever you have in mind for the day there's an event out there to cater for it. Check 'em out here.
Australia Day fireworks in Brisbane
Image: Australia Day Queensland
Due to the pandemic, the 2021 Australia Day fireworks, as well as the live entertainment, at Brisbane's South Bank have been cancelled.
That's not to say you can't catch fireworks on Australia Day. Smaller fireworks displays further out of the city are confirmed on the day. Note that these may be policed to keep crowds down.
- Bongaree: 1.5 hours out of Brisbane, Bongaree on Bribie Island hosts an annual Australia Day celebration at Brennan Park with kid-friendly activities and an early fireworks display at 7.45pm.
- Redcliffe: Suttons Beach has Australia-themed activities for young and old from 4-8pm. Play will stop at 7.45pm though as the fireworks crack the night sky. Redcliffe is a 40 minute drive out of Brisbane.
For more info: Visit Brisbane[/fin_hide]
Australia Day events in Brisbane 2021
You won’t be able to avoid the festivals and markets in Brisbane on Australia Day – they’ll crop up everywhere as each suburb and region celebrates in some way or another.
Here are just a few to whet your appetite:
Great Australian Bites food festival, Regional Queensland
If you're hoping to spend Australia Day away from the big city this year, follow your nose to the Great Australian Bites festival.
For another year running, this foodie fest takes to regional Queensland with posts in Bargara, Cleveland, Ingham, Gympie, Rockhampton, Warwick and Winton.
Warwick's event runs on 23 January from 4pm-10pm while all the other city's festivals run are on 26 January, starting at varying times from 11am.
This free event features the best fodder of the area in the form of pop-up stalls by local providers and makers. Local entertainment accompanies.
For more info: Great Australian Bites
Australia Day BBQ, Brisbane
Don't live in regional Queensland? Prefer to eat somewhere closer to the big smoke? Then why not check out the Australia Day BBQ.
This is the ultimate barbeque with mates and strangers, boasting a wide assortment of skewers and drinks. Because that's what the Australian spirit is all about.
This meal is served at The Charming Squire from midday.
For more info: The Charming Squire
Image: Visit Moreton Bay
Redcliffe Australia Day festival
For atmosphere, sun and plenty of Australia Day entertainment, Suttons Beach in Redcliffe is a popular spot for families. From 4–8pm, there will be live performances, food trucks, sand and water activities and fireworks at 7.45pm.
Acts on the musical bill have yet to be confirmed though in the past have included Cheyne Starkie, SeaNic Sounds, Space for Two and The Bassline Studios Band.
For more info: Visit Moreton Bay
Image: Visit Moreton Bay Region
Bribie Island Aussie Beach Party
From midday on Australia Day, Brennan Park on Bribie Island is set to be the hub of activity and entertainment. That's from the first performance at 4pm to the nightly fireworks at 7.45-8pm.
This big beach bash will feature beach games, live music and markets galore.
For more info: Australia Day on Bribie Island
Moonlight Cinema Summer Season
Chill out under the stars at an Australian-inspired Moonlight Cinema sesh.
For a more relaxing Australia Day, book yourself a spot on the green at the Moonlight Cinema.
This summer movie festival does the rounds across Australia this month. It's not open on Australia Day sadly, but the weekend before you can catch 10 Things I Hate About You (23 January) and Dirty Dancing (24 January).
For more info: Moonlight Cinema
Book discounted tickets: Through Groupon
Top free things to do on Australia Day in Brisbane
- Barbeque at South Bank: Pack a picnic basket or nab a barbeque early at South Bank to spend a day in the city surrounded by the lively atmosphere of Australia Day festivities.
- Medibank Feel Good Program @ South Bank - Treat your body to some sunshine, good vibes and exercise at one of these outdoor fitness classes. They're absolutely free to attend, run at various times from 25 January to 27 March 2021 and offer a chocie of aqua classes at Boat Pool, yoga, barre, pilates, tai chi, energy, bootcamp and zumba classes at Rainforest Green and Latin fitness, Bollywood dancing, ballroom dancing and mums and bubs exercises at South Bank Piazza.
- Learn about the local heritage at Caboolture Heritage Village: With more than 70 historic buildings, the village is one of the biggest historic sites in the region. On Australia Day there's often toad racing, kids' entertainment and festive food stalls. Full details TBC.
- Australia Day at Victoria Park: All things fun are on at Victoria Park on Australia Day with a magic show, giant games, jumping castle and live music at play. If that's not your style, the park's putt putt and driving range are available all Australia Day weekend. Book your spot at The Bistro here.
Are shops open on Australia Day in Brisbane?
Here are the major shopping centres that tend to open for Australia Day public holiday (27 January) and their trading hours. Opening times are subject to change.
- Queen Street Mall: Times vary
- Westfield Chermside: Open from 10am–5pm
- Westfield Carindale: Open from 9am–5.30pm
- Westfield Northlakes: Open from 10am–5pm
- Westfield Garden City: Open from 10am–5pm
- Westfield Helensvale: Open from 10am–4pm
- Strathpine Centre: Open from 10am–4pm
More guides on Finder
Best controllers for PCs in Australia
These are the best PC controllers you can buy right now in Australia.
Best laser printers in Australia
We've found the seven best laser printers you can buy in Australia right now.
Best eyebrow pencils in Australia
We've found seven of the best eyebrow pencils in Australia right now.
Best gaming monitors in Australia
These are the best gaming monitors you can buy right now in Australia.
MasterClass: Courses delivered by recognised industry experts
Ignite your passion with exclusive training from your favourite celebrity experts with MasterClass.
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
10% off Apple Airpods Pro, 29% off Sennheiser wireless headphones and 20% off HP Pavilion x360 convertible laptop.
Earnd is a pay on demand service that lets you access a portion of your paycheque before payday without paying any fees or interest.
PayActiv Earned Wage Access
Learn more about how PayActiv's Earned Wage Access service can help you access up to $500 of your paycheque for a $5 fee charged fortnightly (only if you access your wage before payday).
The top Valentine’s Day cards for 2021
Knock your Valentine's socks off with one of these cute or romantic cards.
Best caravan parks in Kalbarri, Western Australia
Base yourself moments away from the West Coast’s Kalbarri National Park.
Ask an Expert