Aston Martin unveils DB11 special edition
Aston Martin has published the specs of its new DB11 limited-run model, known as the Shadow Edition.
Aston Martin's multi-award-winning DB11 range is set to grow. Here's what you can look forward to with the incredibly sleek-looking Shadow Edition.
- Black and dark trim pieces. As Henry Ford once famously said, "You can have it in any colour, as long as it's black." Actually, that's not technically true, as there are six inky exterior paints to choose from. Aston Martin has swapped components from the standard DB11 in favour of dark and brooding replacements. The bonnet blades are painted in gloss black, the 20-inch directional alloys are finished in the same coating and the brand's ordinarily chrome emblems are replaced by a black chrome. Completing the look are anodised black metal sill plates, specific to the Shadow Edition, as well as a sports steering wheel trimmed in Pure Black Alcantara and Obsidian Black Leather. Aston Martin states that all these features are bespoke to the DB11 Shadow Edition.
- Optional Gloss Black exterior pack. To further customise their Shadow Edition, customers can have a Gloss Black upper glasshouse fitted at the time of assembly. Ordinarily, these would be body-coloured, but when installed on the Shadow Edition, they are a deep black, furthering the aesthetic and making this DB11 incredibly menacing in appearance.
- Customisation options. Obviously, when purchasing a Shadow Edition, you're going to receive a pre-determined specification list. However, Aston Martin can also adapt the car to meet a customer's desires. It is possible to tweak the colour palette of the car by changing the brake callipers and contrast stitching.
- Limited edition. Just 300 Shadow Editions are available worldwide, making this a rare special run.
Aston Martin design team on the Shadow Edition
The impressive styling of the DB11 is no accident, as the British marque's chief creative officer, Marek Reichman, relates.
"We have carefully selected the Shadow Edition design elements to subtly yet noticeably alter the DB11's appearance – moving it further towards a more assertive and purposeful GT style," Reichman stated.
Reichman, who also serves as the executive vice president, also gave a little insight into the development process. He stated that it was a "painstaking" packaging together of styling elements to give "this small group of DB11 V8-powered sports cars their own visual character that clearly marks them out as new and different."
We can imagine the design studio at Aston Martin, filling with dozens of black paint samples and dark fabric swatches, with stylists trying endless combinations. The end result, in our opinion, is stunning.
Aston Martin DB11 Shadow Edition pricing
Aston Martin announced that the new Shadow Edition DB11 is available to order right now from dealers, as either a V8 Coupé or a Volante soft top. No Australia-specific pricing has been announced, but the car is valued at £162,095 (which converts to roughly $320,000). It joins other exclusive vehicles, such as the Aston Martin DBS Superleggera.
Recent car reviews
- 2021 Genesis GV80 Review
- 2022 Subaru WRX: New vs old
- Should Toyota be worried about the Haval H6 Hybrid?
- 2021 Nissan Navara Review
- Kia Sorento hybrid has an electric range of 68km!