We're Stef and D, a pair of married jet setters. Together, we've visited 55 countries and we're determined to see even more – all while working full-time and paying off a mortgage. We count our dollars at home and while we're away, and we're here to share our tips on how you can travel on a budget.
Sydney date ideas: Art events in October 2020
Our top four art-inspired events and experiences in the big city.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
This fortnight we saw ourselves scratching our heads for new date ideas.
And then the social media advertisements caught our attention reminding us that Van Gogh Alive was in town. So off we headed on a Thursday evening for a cheeky and unusual date night.
It's not the only artsy event going on this month. Here are our picks of the best of art to check out this month.
For classic art: Van Gogh Alive
This multi-scensory experience showcases Van Gogh's vast library of works on a larger-than-life scale. Held within a confined space, everything from sketches, paintings and notes come alive through projection and are complemented with a symphony of sound and smell. We left mesmerised and thoroughly educated about Van Gogh's life, art and inner workings.
- When: Now until 20 December 2020.
- Where: Royal Hall of Industries, Entertainment Quarter.
- Hot tip: Adult prices range from $30-$59 with the price different due to off-peak/peak times. Considering you're in for a 45-minute experience no matter what, honing in on the off-peak dates is worth your time. Off-peak is during the weekdays, outside of the school holidays. We visited on a Thursday evening outside of the school break and paid $36 each.
- Book: Van Gogh Alive.
For modern art: Archibald Prize 2020
Artist Vincent Namatijira made history this year becoming the first ever Indigenous artist to win the Archibald Prize. His portrait, "Stand Strong For Who You Are" is a tribute to Indigenous AFL player Adam Goodes and his stand on racism. He is painted alongside him in solidarity and support.
- When: 26 September 2020 to 19 January 2021.
- Where: Art Gallery of New South Wales.
- Hot tip: Make a proper date of it and book an Archibald Dining Package at Chiswick at the Gallery. Dishes are inspired by the prize winners and their stories and all packages include tickets to the Archibald, Wynne and Sulman Prizes 2020.
- Book: Art Gallery of New South Wales.
For photography: Wildlife Photographer of the Year
Capturing those beautiful, breathtaking and true moments in nature is the annual Wildlife Photographer of the Year competition. Entries come from all across the world and are of the highest calibre. Be prepared to be amazed. The exhibition is on loan from the Natural History Museum in London until December.
- Where: Australian National Maritime Museum.
- When: 22 June 2020 - 28 January 2021.
- Hot tip: There are stacks of school holiday activities running until 11 October to keep the little ones busy while you enjoy the exhibition. However, if it's just the two of you, plan to visit after this date to avoid the crowds.
- Book: Australian National Maritime Museum.
For interactivity: Paint and sip classes
These are super fun, interactive classes for couples who love to get creative. You'll be given a canvas, a dedicated painting, all the right paint colours and some instructions then it's time to make your masterpiece. Oh, and did I mention the BYO wine. Because it's definitely more fun that way.
I've attended in-person classes, which are still available at a limited capacity due to COVID-19. There are also live streams if you'd prefer to paint with your partner at home.
- When: Anytime.
- Where: Popular classes in Sydney are Cork and Canvas, and Cork & Chroma. You can also find a wealth of classes on ClassBento.
- Hot tip: You'll learn different paintings each session. Choose which painting you'd like to learn together for a collaborative date. And while you're there, choose which wine you'd like to pair it with together, too.
More guides on Finder
How to celebrate a birthday while in isolation
We’ve got you covered with this guide filled with fun activities to keep you busy on your special day.
School holiday activities in Hobart for 2021
Entertain your kids on a budget with these things to do in Hobart during the school holiday break.
Western Australia road trips that showcase the best of the state
Adventurous and picturesque road trips around the state for memories that will last a lifetime.
7 of the most scenic Tasmania road trip itineraries
We’ve just planned your next holiday with these sample Tasmania road trip itineraries that include where to go, what to see, where to stay, how far you’ll be driving each day and more.
When and where to buy the Vans x Van Gogh collection
Embrace your inner artistic side with the newest collection from Vans and here is how to buy it.
Best places to visit in Australia
Discover all that Australia has to offer and start planning your trip with this guide of the best places to visit in Australia, from coast to coast.
9 top things to do in Townsville and event guide for 2021
Tips for a trip to Townsville, from scenic helicopter rides to animal sanctuary visits and more.
14 things to do in New York City and event guide for 2021
We’ve whittled down New York’s top attractions to bring you the best of the best and you can’t leave the city without ticking these off.
Things to do in London 2021
London’s top attractions and experiences that are seriously worth it.
Best things to do in Adelaide and event guide for 2021
From food and wine to sand and sport, let Adelaide entertain you.
Ask an Expert