Are Black Friday sales worth it in 2022?
There's always plenty of fanfare surrounding Black Friday sales, but are they really worth the hype?
Every avid online shopper knows that Black Friday is one of the year's premier sales events.
It has grown into an international sensation, so come 25 November 2022 you'll be hard-pressed to find a single major retailer that isn't getting in on the action to some extent.
But is the event really the savings bonanza you've been led to believe it is?
Is Black Friday worth it?
There's no doubt that Black Friday brings major savings on an enormous range of products, and Australians have taken note.
Finder Research which took place in the lead-up to Black Friday 2021 indicated that 35% of Aussies were planning to shop during the event, with the average intended spend totalling $394.
Per Black Friday Global, the average discount found in Australian stores throughout Black Friday sits at around 54%.
These numbers paint a clear conclusion. Yes, Black Friday sales are certainly worth it – if by "it" you mean soberly observing and making selective purchases.
You should avoid seeing Black Friday as the be-all and end-all when it comes to shopping deals. Remember there are plenty of sales events throughout the year, from Afterpay Day to end of financial year sales to Boxing Day sales.
So while Black Friday is definitely worth some attention, don't feel compelled to jump on a bargain just because of the date on the calendar.
Black Friday on a budget
Black Friday will take on a slightly different flavour in 2022.
With many Australians struggling with the surging cost of living, shopping the latest tech or fashion during Black Friday isn't such an exciting notion.
Unless you're up to your neck in disposable income, you should stick to a strict budget during Black Friday and other sales events. This is true every year, but is especially important to keep in mind in 2022.
That doesn't mean Black Friday 2022 is a complete wash. For example, if you've recently found it necessary to replace an expensive appliance, Black Friday can be an excellent opportunity to score a discount.
If you've been tightening your purse strings more than usual recently, treat Black Friday as an opportunity to stock up on necessities at discount prices.
Black Friday dos and don'ts
- Get in early: Spoiler alert: Black Friday sales will start much earlier than 25 November. Keep up with Finder's ongoing Black Friday coverage so you're aware of the best deals as they drop.
- Shop around: It's very unlikely that product you're eyeing will sell out in the 5 minutes it takes you to check if it's available cheaper at a different retailer.
- Consider membership programs: Subscriber programs such as eBay Plus and Amazon Prime are likely to deliver plenty of exclusive deals. These services generally offer free trials you can take advantage of.
- Fall for fake RRPs: As with any sales event, some retailers have been known to artificially bump up the RRP of a product to make a deal seem more gaudy than it is. A quick Google search is usually all it takes to find out what a product's true asking price is.
- Get tunnel vision: Remember that Black Friday is just one of many sales events on the annual calendar. It's a great idea to save some cash for future occasions. Boxing Day sales, anyone?
- Forget to do your research: Just because it's Black Friday doesn't mean you shouldn't stick to your usual process of due diligence. No matter how big a discount is, you don't want to be stuck with an unsatisfactory purchase.
Best deals in Australia September 2022
To emphasise the fact that you don't need to wait for Black Friday to enjoy a bargain, here are a few of our favourite deals you can shop right now.
Dyson HP03 |
$799 $499 (save $300)
This versatile Dyson appliance is a simply excellent investment. Its cooling functionality will serve you very well in the coming summer months. When winter arrives, it also serves as a powerful heater and you can make use of its air-purifying function all year.
Xiaomi 11T Pro |
$1,299 $929 (save $370)
There's no need to wait for Black Friday for a deal on this premium smartphone. Photography fiends will fall in love with this handset's 108MP camera.